Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old September 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Don't Drink the Water ... in Canada?

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Don't Drink the Water ... in Canada?

Read the entire news article...

Old September 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
5,000+ Club

A couple years ago when visiting Niagra Falls, we checked into one of the hotels on Clifton Hill, The Brock Inn. And they were selling bottled water in the lobby. I look at my husband, and go what next.
We go to the check in desk and as the receptionist what gives.
Here the people who run the water purification plant (near the Peace Bridge) were on strike, and they would not guarantee the safety of the water from bacteria.
Here I thought because the exchange rate for Americans was good at that time, they were trying to make a little extra money.
Had we just driven in for the day, stopped at any location and just had tap water out of a fountain, or at a resturant, it could have made us sick.
Ever since then when we drive to Canada, we take a cooler of water to drink. Not that we are cheap, but, until we can buy bottled water at our destination.
We also did this when we cruised. We took bottled water on shore. Warm water is better than nothing.

Later

Old September 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Canadian water is perfectly fine, better than what you'll find in a lot of areas of the US, in fact. Read the whole article, Lionesss...it wasn't a water problem, it was a typo in the ship's newsletter.

The only reason the hotel was pushing bottled water during the strike was a fear of liability. Likely you would have been fine...lots of people drank tap water then and suffered absolutely no ill effects. Besides, that was an isolated occurance, not an everyday thing...saying you won't drink Canadian water now because of a water purification plant strike a couple of years ago is like saying that you won't take the New York subway because of a transit strike in the 90's...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense... It's okay to drink the water...honest...

Last edited by bookbabe; September 24th, 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Old September 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
20,000+ Club

Wink

I would not drink water in several US states ...it is awful

I wonder if people will bring their own food next?

Old September 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I get a kick when I see people going crazy buying bottled water. I'm originally from Baltimore and the city sells water to local bottlers who bottle it right from the spicket.

Carnival Dream, Nassau, St. Thomas,
St. Maartens, 7/2/11
Carnival Pride, Grand Turk, HMC, Freeport, 6/20/10
RCCL Grandeur Of The Seas, Bermuda, 7/8/07
Carnival Paradise, Western Caribbean, 7/01
Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas, May 95
USS Alabama Gold Crew, 1992
USS Ulysses S. Grant Blue Crew, 1990-92
Chandris Galileo, 2 Nt Cruise To No Where, 5/89

Old September 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Bookbabe;
appreciate your insight. Your view is understandably a well thought out response. And yes after now reading your entire posts as well as the original article, I did jump to conclusions.
However, The issue I addressed still has some ramifications.
And since I posted erroneously on this thread, I can only close out by saying.......
The safety of our water and food supply should be a concern to travelers. Look at the news reports this summer of the HAZARDS from tomatoes, and the deaths that occurred from the contaminated food supply. Let's say that I would take a cross country trip, like I have in the past. Pop a few CD's in the radio, and drove away. Stop for lunch at a reputable restuarant and have a nice salad.
Get the "runs", ruin my vacation come home early, then read in the paper about contaminated tomatoes across the U.S. Had I been alerted, I would have avoided them. And this is what those travelers read, although wrong information, it was provided to them from a reputable source, the cruise line.
Drinking water on the other hand changes from location to location depending on what purification and/ or chemicals need added. Or, people simply may not like the taste and get bottled water.
After experincing first hand a city concern over their own water supply, it does make one think and plan ahead.
I am not phobic, and when we cruised this past summer, I drank RCI water, did not pay for bottled water on board daily. Only took it on our excursions.
I also enjoyed a great meal in Cozumel.
Your subway analogy of a "strike" isn't a health issues, I could have taken a cab.
I however, would like to thank you for bringing to my attention the real purpose of the original article, I was just sharing another aspect as you did (because of me).
I do admit I should have read the entire article to see it was a typo by the cruise line, that did ruin the business for these locals.
Thanks
Just wondering if you were traveling to China in the near future? If you were going to try some of the candy or drink their milk? And no I won't take my own candy because of this scare, and I don't drink milk. It is a new story about unlawfully added ingredients. I hope the media has it right. At least there is a warning out. But, is the information correct, or are people just too scared because of what happened with contaminated tooth paste. (I know we don't eat tooth paste), but it does make me wonder.

Safe travels.
Humble in Ohio, and will read articles more thoroughly in the future.