Cruise Music Mix Suggestions? Anyone?

skemp23

Howdy All,

I know I saw a thread on this topic some time ago but can't find it now. I'm cruising with a friend in December and want to make a music mix CD with songs that put you in the mood for a cruise or the tropics. You know the obvious, "2 Pina Coladas", "No Shoes' No Shirt, No Problem", "Jammin'", etc. Any more obscure ideas?

49515_Beach_bum_Taz.jpg Sue

I saw the thread, too, and was curious about the same thing. As well, I was wondering how people "collect" the songs -- iPod, Internet and burn to CD, etc. If you use the Internet, what program (I don't have an iPod yet, LOL)?

I hope this second question doesn't "hijack" the link... just another question that might be interesting to others, too? If it's too OT, just ignore!!

Howdy All,

I know I saw a thread on this topic some time ago but can't find it now. I'm cruising with a friend in December and want to make a music mix CD with songs that put you in the mood for a cruise or the tropics. You know the obvious, "2 Pina Coladas", "No Shoes' No Shirt, No Problem", "Jammin'", etc. Any more obscure ideas?

49515_Beach_bum_Taz.jpg Sue

I don't know how obscure they are, but here are a few:

• Three little birds
  • Any and all things Jimmy Buffet
  • UB40 (Red Red Wine)
  • It's 5:00 somewhere
  • Soak up the sun
  • Escape (The Pina Colada Song)

Here are some of my picks:

Come Sail Away” by Styx

Cruisin’” by Smoky Robinson (or Huey Lewis/Gweneth Paltrow from Duets)

Kokomo” by Beach Boys

If you’re going to western Caribbean, “Go West” by Village People, very upbeat fun song

If going to Jamaica, there’s a version of “Take me home, Country Roads” by Toots and the Maytals, a Reggae band—substutes west Jamaica instead of west Virginia

I have more to post as soon as I think of them. I can email these songs to anyone interested.

I'll recommend any songs by Jim Morris...kind of like Jimmy Buffett music. My favorite of his is "Laid Back and Key Wasted." Also, anything by John Holt, Bob Marley, Winston Groovy, and Dawn Penn is good (all reggae).

You can't go wrong with the soundtracks to 50 First Dates, Speed 2, and Cool Runnings.

As for where to get them, there is a sharing program called BearShare that is really easy to use. If you're looking for a more...err...legal way to do things, Wal-Mart has individual song downloads for 88 cents. Their selection is not great, but it is decent.

My two favorites from my cruises are "Stays in Mexico" and "Good to go to Mexico" by Toby Keith.

The Cocktail soundtrack has a few I like. My cruise CDs (at least 5 or 6 everytime) usually contain a bit of everything. Jimmy Buffett is definitely #1. I don't really go for the mainstream type songs though. (Cheeseburger, Margaritaville, etc.) The best "alternatives" IMHO are "Smart woman in a real short skirt", "Knees of my heart", and "Jamaica Mistacia" - that's a favorite, about his plane almost getting shot down flying into Jamaica.

There's so many that I love. Look at the tracks listed on the box set "Beaches, Boats, Bars, and Ballads" You can chose according to the mood you are looking for.

Don't forget "Sittin' on the Dock of The Bay", also some of the Beach Boys' stuff would be good.

How about "Rock the Boat (Don't Rock the Boat, Baby)"? If memory serves, this one is by the DeFranco Family? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

A particular favorite of mine (albeit mellow) is "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart, with its beach/ocean sounds in the background.

I like this thread...keep'em coming, people! :D

There is a country song out in the last year or so "When the Sun Goes Down"

I also agree with sound tracks like Cool Runnings, Speed 2 (great UB40 that is not on a CD I found)

Also I collect CDs from stops like Jamiaca etc. When in a store in Jamaica there was a great mix playing and of course when asked it was for sale! :)

Also you can buy usually CDs of bands on board ship or just an island collection from the ship that is good.

Mainly we listen to Buffett - the newer one Meet Me In Margaritaville CD has a song recorded in St. Barts called "On the Knees of My Heart" that is great! :) They show the band picking at it in St. Barts on the Mini Matinee DVD that is out. Of course he has a song with Alan Jackson too.

I also like Tom Petty and the Wildflowers - has some great songs.

Debbie

Some favorites (not all have nautical lyrics, but have the same feeling):

Jimmy Cliff: The Harder they Come, Pressure Drop, Sitting in Limbo, I Can See Clearly Now

Beach Boys: Sloop John B; Good Vibrations; Surfing Safari; Sail on Sailor; Kokomo

Blondie: The Tide is High

Bobby McFerrin : Don't worry be happy

Van Morrison: Into the Mystic

Bob Marley: Jammin; One Love; No Woman, No Cry; Red, Red Wine; Don't Rock the Boat; Redemption Song; Buffalo Soldier

Dream Academy: Life in a Northern Town

Christopher Cross: Sailing

Greenday: Time of Your Life

Grand Funk Railroad: I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)

U2: One Step Closer; Sailing

Sublime: Summertime

Jack Johnson: Horizon; Times like These; Bob Marley Sublime Medley

James Taylor: Mexico; Sweet Baby James; Fire and Rain; Carolina on my Mind

Otis Redding: Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

Sheryl Crow: Soak up the Sun

Don Henley: Boys of Summer

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: Southern Cross

Jimmy Buffett: Son of a son of a Sailor

Seals & Croft: Summer Breeze

Bryan Adams: Summer of 69

Tracy Chapman: I used to be a Sailor

Crash Test Dummies: Swimming In Your Ocean

Creedence Clearwater Revival : Bad Moon Rising; Sailor's Lament

Gordon Lightfoot: The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald

Dave Mathews Band: Satellite

There is a country song out in the last year or so "When the Sun Goes Down"

I also agree with sound tracks like Cool Runnings, Speed 2 (great UB40 that is not on a CD I found)

"Tell Me is it True" is great, I think it's the best song on the soundtrack. On the subject of UB40, they have a new album out with some songs that would be great for cruising..."After Tonight," "Good Situation," "Gotta Tell Someone," "Reasons," and "I'll Be On My Way." Good stuff, already loaded on my mp3 player and ready to cruise.

The Kenny Chesney album with "When the Sun Goes Down" also has some other island country stuff on it that's good..."Key Lime Pie," "Island Boy," "Guitars and Tiki Bars," "Sherry's Living in Paradise," and "Soul of a Sailor."

Also...if you like the island country stuff, the Bellamy Brothers are great, a lot of their songs have a tropical feel.

Sorry to go on and on, I can talk about music all day!

Great jazz number is St. Thomas by Sonny Rollins and covered by many others....

Sit Down your rockin the boat from Guys and Dolls

What do you do with a Drunkin Sailor by Great big sea

Walk on the ocean by Toad the wet sproket

Anything Goes Soundtrack - The whole play takes place on an ocean liner

Rum and Coca Cola by Andews sisters

Theres no boat like a row boat by Perry Como

I can see clearly now - Johnny Nash or Jimmy Cliff

One Love Bob Marley

Hymn to the last whale, Southern Cross -Crosby Stills Nash

Travelin Man by Ricky Nelson

Suznf - I like your list but no way do I think "The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" would make it onto my cruise disc!!:eek:

YellowBird, Lemon tree By Trini Lopez

Jamacia Farewell, Dayo, All day all nite Maryann, Matilda, Island in the Sun by Harry Belafonte

Zombie Jamboree (Back to back Belly to belly) by Rockapella

Simply the best by Tina Turner (Celebrity theme song)

Beyond the sea Bobby Darin (Carnival theme)

Lust for Love by Iggy Pop (RCCL Theme) real nice lyrics!

Gin and coconut water, We like to party by Venga Boys

Tiny Bubbles, Pearly Shells, Hawaiian Wedding Song Don Ho

Blue Hawaii by Elvis

Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid

Sea Cruise by Frankie Ford

Girl from Ipanema, Wave By Antonio Carlos Jobim

Limbo Rock by Chubby Checker

Dollar Wine by Byron Lee (Five cent – ten cent)

Summer Wind, The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra

Hawaii Five-O by The Ventures

Sea of Love by Honeydrippers

Wipeout By the Surfaris

Brandy (Youre a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass

Island Girl by Elton John

Carribean Queen by Billy Ocean

Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride from Lilo and Stitch

Guantanamera by The Sandpipers

Wildwood Days by Bobby Rydell

I've made a cruise CD and put "Lovely Cruise" by Jimmy Buffett, "Sea Cruise" "Slow Boat to China" "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" and "Vacation" by the Go-Go's. Good luck with your songs. I buy the cards from Target for I-Tunes and download and burn onto my own cd's.

Jazzfman, Walk on the ocean is a brilliant addition!! I can use it to replace the Wreck of the Edmund...lol (My husband pointed out to me that Wreck might not be the most inspiring choice for cruising music)

Brandy is also a great one, I completely blanked on that one...I thought of it...but couldn't come up with the name. I figured I was gonna wake up at 2:00 am shouting it one night. My husband thanks you for that one.

Also kudos for Under the Sea and Traveling Man....nice....gonna add them to the mix!

Here are a few more you might like:

The Blues Image: Ride Captain Ride

The Poques: Sea Shanty

Jack Johnson or Jimmy Buffett: A Pirate Looks at 40

Roxy Music: Avalon

Four Preps: Twenty Six Miles (Santa Catalina)

Jazzfman...

Harry Neilson: Lime in de Coconut---Nice!

And a few more inspired nuggets...

Weezer: Islands in the Sun

Squeeze: Pulling Mussels from a Shell

Wreckless Eric: Search the Whole Wide World

How about a few for the west coast travelers:

Dream Academy: Life in a Northern Town

Tony Bennet: I Left my Heart in San Francisco

Scott McKenzie: If your Going to San Francisco

Randy Newman: I Love LA

Eagles: Hotel California

Mamas and the Papas: California Dreaming

Red Hot Chili Peppers: City of Angels

Beach Boys: Surfing Safari

Everclear: Santa Monica

Roxy Music: Avalon

The Four Preps: 26 Miles (Santa Catalina)

DaDa: I'm Going to Disneyland

Bruce Springsteen: Rosalita

Wall of Voodoo: Mexican Radio

James Taylor: Mexico

Sorry Suz...but I am about 30 min. west of Asbury Park and I dont think you can claim Rosalita as "West Coast Tune"!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: Now I know yer momma she dont like me ...cause I play in a rock n roll band.....!!

I was gonna put Jersey Girl on my list but thought it was too regional! did you know that was written by Tom Waits not Bruce?....

Also was considering I left my heart and Hotel Cal...... Great minds huh?

STARS for Mussels and Mexico!!!!!:) :)

What Ship are you guys on???

My wife and I are going out of Bayonne on Voyager 11/13

we will be on board for our 20th anneversary!!

Our weeding ahah Wedding song is by Al Jarreau ...its called "Our Love" Just got a great idea....I will bring the CD and have it played some time on the cruse....any ideas as to how I can get it played...gonna go to Portofinos on our ann.nite......gotta go....:cool: