Silversea letting down Ventian Society Members

beaujolais

We had a great time aboard Cloud

oregon50: Recent personal experience.....5% on board discount is alive.

Look forward to hearing from Mayflower1 about the details from your just-completed Silver Cloud sailing.

We are planning a Jan. 25-Feb. 20' date=' 2015, Silver Cloud Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. Are seriously considering a Feb. 2016 Cape Town to Cape Town, 10-day South Africa sailing on the Silver Cloud. Am gambling to wait four months until doing the Amazon River sailing before booking with the hope of snagging that added 5% on-board saving. Is that a good gamble?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 158,066 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On previous occasions we have booked a cruise through our TA and on our next cruise applied for the discount on the later one. I have always asked politely and not given the impression it would be anything other than a bonus and, hey presto we are given it. Bonne chance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I have been a Cruise Critic Member for a number of years and rather than do any posts I like to to be entertained and informed by the many other members with their experiences and comments but I now feel I must comment on Silversea attitude to it's Venetian Society Members

I have sailed over 500 days with Silversea and now feel rather let down by them with their on-board booking discounts. We always used to have at least 12 future cruise booked with Silversea for up to 2 years in advance, depending when they produced their future cruise programe. We used our travel agent shore side for most bookings and after we had done a booking we received our on board booking discount when we did our next cruise but no longer, now all you receive is an on board credit for use on that cruise, which to us is no use as we have been to most ports before and have done all the tours we wish to do, you can only eat in the Champagne a couple of time each cruise and for other paying restaurants we do not use the Silver Spirit, 60 days was enough and we do not use the spar, So apart of trying to spend in the shop, which is very difficult when you consider their range, we have no use for the on board credit.

Silversea are trying to get us to book on board but also now I understand from other postings that there are many "blackout cruises" when an on board discount is not offered

We certainly get other benefits,early embarkation, chocolates etc.,in the suite but these could disappear.Other noticeable things that have changed

are flowers in the bar, all gone, not your 6 star.

Silversea is certainly not tempting Venetian Society Cruisers to return in fact we are now going to other cruise lines and have managed to do over 120 days with RSSC and have just booked our first cruise with Tauck and are looking at Seabourn

Up to now we have always used Silversea but they seen to be driving us away. At the moment we have 9 cruise booked with them but we are now booking elsewhere

The Cloud situation is also very worrying,in July in Norway the ship completely broke down once,lost all electrics at sea and on numerous occasions the companion ways and suites were flooded with sweet water and guests had to be moved, suites 638 and 640 had problems at night with noise from the swimming pool equipment, we were moved and I had a letter with our compensation confirming that the ship knew that there was a problem. Whilst we were on board they stopped the swimming pool equipment at night

We are off in a couple of days for a 4 cruise back to back on the Cloud and all the other 5 cruises are again on the Cloud, as it is ,even with all the problems our favorite Silversea ship, I must have my head in the sand. We are on over Christmas and I will certainly contact duct tape and introduce myself so we can grouse together as I see you will be on board and like me

you enjoy the Cloud

Sorry but I do not know all the abbreviations that regular contributors use I must post more regularly

We just got off the Silver Spirit )Penthouse suite and travelled with Seabourn Sojourn last May in the Penthouse Suite. Seabourn is far superior in room appointments, staff disposition, and I believe you would not be making a mistake trying Seabourn. Seabourn is now our luxury ship of choice..between the two.

Very sorry to hear about your problems with SS. Also sorry to hear that the Cloud still has problems with the noise from the pool equipment. This was a problem on our t/a on the Cloud in April and caused the occupant of the Owners Suite (just above 638 and 640) to cancel all his future Cloud voyages.

I travelled in 705 (?) which is the second bedroom to the Owners Suite on the Cloud on the transatlantic crossing that departed Barcelona on 25th October 2013. Coming into Casablanca, the ship rolled badly for about 20 minutes. Imagine my shock (and horror!) to find raw sewerage water in both my basin and shower just as I was about to bathe prior to joining an excursion. Combined with the fact that my walk in wardrobe door was also jammed shut, it wasnt a fun morning!

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Beaujolais - Further to my Post of 22 Sept I assume that you are now off The Cloud following your Long Cruise ? - If so it would be good to hear what fun you have had since we left you in Barcelona ( did the Container turn up with the Chardonney !!!! ). Please give us your Post Cruise Report.

Hope you are both well and look forward to meeting up with you again before too long.

I never can understand why' date=' when someone posts a legitimate feeling about a cruise line on these boards, everyone always seems to try and convince them that their feelings are wrong.[/Q

I know that feeling :D On another board I was criticised for daring to cancel an Oceania voyage due to the NCL takeover of O and RSSC for a similar Silversea voyage......no one seemed to have read my wish to cruise with smaller, independent lines. :rolleyes:[/quote']

For your info, NCL has always mostly owned the the major equity in Oceania and simply took a commanding equity position through its hedge fund Apollo. If Oceania has done well, suspect nothing will change.,much like other Hedge fund managers .Do not understand why you would think a fund manager would not like its asset to perform well.

For your info' date=' NCL has always mostly owned the the major equity in Oceania and simply took a commanding equity position through its hedge fund Apollo. If Oceania has done well, suspect nothing will change.,much like other Hedge fund managers .Do not understand why you would think a fund manager would not like its asset to perform well.[/quote']

Not quite......Apollo is not NCL; they are a hedge fund that owns NCL, along with many other businesses and have owned Oceania since 2007.

I would still rather support a smaller, independent business that offers a comparable, or better product at similar cost.

Thanks for the lecture......