A few Oosterdam questions

Cassicruiser

I have only sailed on Royal Caribbean but am considering a South Pacific cruise on Oosterdam this Australian summer. I have looked a pictures and reviews but still have a couple of questions if anyone is able to help me:

1. Do they keep the Lido pool uncovered on warm weather itineraries?

2. Are there sufficient sunlounges around the pool and on upper decks overlooking the pool. Royal Caribbean have sunlounges around the entire perimeter of the upper

deck(all the way around the ship) which was great if you wanted to lie on one without being right at the pool.

3. I believe on an Australian holiday itinerary there will be more provision than usual for kids and teens but are there enough facilities to keep them happy, ie sports court, tabletennis etc?

4. How does the ship - decor, layout etc compare to Radiance class on RC for those that may have been on both? I have read reviews that indicate the Oosterdam is less airy and more closed in but I have learnt to take some reviews with a pinch of salt.

Thanks so much for any feedback you can provide.

I have only sailed on Royal Caribbean but am considering a South Pacific cruise on Oosterdam this Australian summer. I have looked a pictures and reviews but still have a couple of questions if anyone is able to help me:

2. Are there sufficient sunlounges around the pool and on upper decks overlooking the pool. Royal Caribbean have sunlounges around the entire perimeter of the upper

deck(all the way around the ship) which was great if you wanted to lie on one without being right at the pool.

3. I believe on an Australian holiday itinerary there will be more provision than usual for kids and teens but are there enough facilities to keep them happy, ie sports court, tabletennis etc?

4. How does the ship - decor, layout etc compare to Radiance class on RC for those that may have been on both? I have read reviews that indicate the Oosterdam is less airy and more closed in but I have learnt to take some reviews with a pinch of salt.

1. Yes. As long as it isn't cold or raining, the pool should be uncovered.

2. Not sure what you mean by "sufficient," but there are plenty of chaise lounges to go around. There aren't any on the perimeter above the midship pool as it is a fairly narrow walkway. Most people working on their wrinkles...er...tans seem to use the aft pool or sun decks since there is more solar exposure in those locations.

3. I don't usually cruise during the time of year when there are a lot of kids around, as I am far from a fan of them. However, during the times of year when schools aren't generally in session, it is my understanding that there are more crew on board to keep the little bas...er...darlings entertained.

4. This point I can definitely address, although with the understanding that I wouldn't be caught dead on an RC ship so I can't comment on their decor. However, some of the furnishings on Oosterdam made me wonder if the nation of Tacky exploded one day when the ship sailed by. Not the entire ship, just certain pieces here and there. The main dining room is kind of dark even with the lights on, and I hated the chairs. Actually, there are various locations throughout the ship that are kind of dark here and there. With areas of dark wood, carpeting, and wallcoverings the ship cannot be decribed as bright and sunny all over. By and large I can easily forgive these shortcomings since the service and demeanor of the crew more than makes up for the decor.

yes

yes

yes

4. How does the ship - decor, layout etc compare to Radiance class on RC for those that may have been on both?

Don't know the difference

I have read reviews that indicate the Oosterdam is less airy and more closed in but I have learnt to take some reviews with a pinch of salt.

The Oosterdam is a lovely ship with lots of airiness. It has a awesome crew and great food..Its decor is not glitzy, it has a very grown up feel to it with subtle colors. I guess if your looking for flashy decor, the Oosterdam will not be for you but we love it. It is our favorite Hal ship.

Thanks for you replies - Scamper , love your comments - I agree with a lot of your sentiments, but since 2 of the little darlings will be mine (although not so little) I have to be a little more tolerant I guess. One day we will cruise without kids and then I think Holland America might just be the ship of choice. Until then it seems like we will have to defer to the kids needs and do Royal Caribbean. We had a wonderful cruise on Rhapsody and I am sure will be very happy on Radiance but would have liked a different experience.

From photos online it does look to be a lovely ship, but I think might be too staid for teens compared to Radiance. Hmmm.... stil have a bit of thinking to do, but you have been very helpful.

Just a few links so you can see for yourself what the ship liooks like, public atras, staterooms, kids facilities, etc... http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/index.html

http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/index-2.html

Joanie

I have been on the Oosterdam at least half-a-dozen times. It is a very nice ship and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Go to Canaletto the no charge Italian restaurant on the Lido deck.

I have also sailed on the Radiance only one time. Granted it was in a Grand Suite which bowled me over, but I must admit that the Radiance is a hard standard to measure up to. It beats most of the ships that I have sailed in over 40 voyages!

It is not itinerary dependent: we were on an Alaska cruise and when it was warm enough they opened the roof. They may also open it partially if it gets too warm inside yet it is still cool outside.

One more consideration - I like to get a cabin NEAR the midship elevators. Tis makes it much easier to get around the ship. One thing though, if you have a balcony, avoid the cabins right NEXT to these elevators, as the glass outside elevators can partially see onto your balcony.

I have been on the Oosterdam at least half-a-dozen times. It is a very nice ship and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Go to Canaletto the no charge Italian restaurant on the Lido deck.

I have also sailed on the Radiance only one time. Granted it was in a Grand Suite which bowled me over, but I must admit that the Radiance is a hard standard to measure up to. It beats most of the ships that I have sailed in over 40 voyages!

We were leaning towards the Radiance anyway (mainly because of the kids) and these comments are swaying me further... we might just have to leave the Oosterdam to try on a later cruise.

Joanie - had a quick look and the photos are magnificent, It really does look like a beautiful ship!

Thanks for you replies - Scamper , love your comments - I agree with a lot of your sentiments, but since 2 of the little darlings will be mine (although not so little) I have to be a little more tolerant I guess.

I don't really feel that way about ALL children. In fact, when they are quiet and well-behaved they can be quite entertaining to look at--and some of them flat out adorable. As long as the previous conditions are met.

That having been said, I have heard a lot of horror stories about children allowed to run amuck (sp?) on cruise ships. The primary reason I avoid holiday and summer cruises. That and they are generally cheaper in the off-season.

One more consideration - I like to get a cabin NEAR the midship elevators. Tis makes it much easier to get around the ship. One thing though, if you have a balcony, avoid the cabins right NEXT to these elevators, as the glass outside elevators can partially see onto your balcony.

If the people in the Suites immediately beside the glass elevators stand at the rail, they can be seen from the elevators.... on both sides of the glass elevator on both port and starboard.

There is not total privacy on those verandas but the elevators more rather swiftly and few people stare out the glass toward the verandas. The are more apt to face forward toward the door or to be looking out for view of the sea or port.

The verandas one removed from the glass elevators are not visible from elevators.

Archived