Travel insurance and pre-existing medical conditon

I am trying to sift through different travel insurance policies and seeing if I am covered for a pre-existing medical condition.

Can anyone recommend any travel insurance companies that cover pre-existing medical conditions, or you can upgrade the policy?

Leanne, we have just been through this for our upcoming trip to USA/Canada etc. The pre exisiting is an issue with most, we found. We ended up going with Covermore...know you weren't happy with them...but their coverage esp for the states was the best for us. We spent a month looking, getting dozens of quotes, and theirs exceeded all others. Bob was getting sick and tired of looking at the fine print....but you have to.

Travel ins for the states is expensive, but vital....lot cheaper for NZ or the SPacific.

Jen

I was about to say Covermore. We've gone through them for our upcoming Hawaiian cruise. And my parents were having problems finding insurance to cover my mother's pre-existing medical conditions. They ended up going with Covermore because no one else would cover her.

What I did was choose the one I thought best then took it to the Drs for him to look over....just to make sure and he was more than happy to back me up on my choice but I guess it depends on what your illness is.....

I am trying to sift through different travel insurance policies and seeing if I am covered for a pre-existing medical condition.

Can anyone recommend any travel insurance companies that cover pre-existing medical conditions, or you can upgrade the policy?

We used travel insurance direct when 8 of us travelled europe and the U.S.A for 6 weeks my sister was able to get cover through them with a number of pre existing conditions it cost a little more but was no problem they also covered my 80 year old father.

As Sarah said "I've used Covermore before. Had no issues. But never had to claim either. "

That's the real point Sarah, unless you have made a claim with a company......no company is great! after-all the proof is in the claiming..lol! As they say "buyer beware" :D

Oh dear! who do we go too!

B&B&C

Covermore cover a lot of pre-existing medical conditions. In their product disclosure statement, it lists a number of pre-existing medical conditions which they automatically cover.

However if your condition or circumstance do not appear on the list, all you need to do is complete a medical assessment form either online, or print and send to Covermore. Usually you only need your doctor to complete with form if it is a heart condition, however depends on your circumstances.

Very easy to do.

I use Onlinetravelinsurance and they have a list of pre existing medical conditions that they automatically cover.

I have successfully claimed, with no problems, with this on line insurance company.

When my MIL in her 80s (healthy, with pre existing conditions) needed overseas travel insurance, we finally got coverage for her through National Seniors (with doctor's report and one exclusion from coverage).

We have used Travel Insurance Direct before, as the medical conditions listed as automatically covered include the ones we happen to have. (Eg. asthma, as long as you haven't been hospitalised with it in the past year I think). We have never had to claim, but they are competitive price-wise and even have an option to pay $25 extra if you want to have a "no excess" option.

Just keep in mind, apparently a few insurers have changed their policies lately and they no longer cover some of the pre-existing medical conditions that they used to cover. This was why my parents had to go with Covermore - the ones they used on all their other cruises are no longer suitable, despite them covering those conditions previously. So just make sure you double check everything before just going with a company you've used previously. They might not cover you anymore. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. My DH had a heart attack 3.5 years ago and had a stent inserted. We could not get anyone to cover him until I found Southern cross travel insurance http://www.scti.com.au/. All we had to do was an online medical questionairre and he was approved. There are criteria to fill eg time since event, amount of meds so forth. We also have not had to use it. They only insure for international...

I always use Covermore. I used them and had to make a claim ( with no problem at all) prior to having a pre-existing condition. It was actually that incident that I had to claim that then became my pre existing condition !

• 2 weeks later...

I used southern cross last year and had to cancel the trip due to a diagnosis of breast cancer. they tried their utmost to say it was a pre existing condition. only through the determination of my wonderful GP did I win that battle.

I would warn anyone to stay away from them.

this trip I have gone with covermore, they will cover for the pre existings I have other than anything related to cancer. I took an annual policy. Interesting though they would have covered me for cancer related issues if I had only wanted a single policy. My thought is that they feel something cancer related might surface over the next 12 months whereas if i was going on a trip in the next few weeks it was less likely. The cost of 2 single trips was several hundred more than the annual policy.

Archived