Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Disney Cruise Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Disney Cruise Line
Read Disney Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Disney Cruise Deals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
YellowDog's Avatar
YellowDog YellowDog is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 247
Question knowing your dining rotation in advance?

Im just on a 3 day Wonder trip next week and was wondering (pardon the pun) is there a way to know your dining rotation in advance?? I would like to book Palo online but dont want to miss animators palate. Oh on the same note...which of the other 2 restaurants would you recomend skipping for Palo?
__________________
Disney Magic July 1999
Grand Princess June 2003
Caribbean Princess July 2006
Disney Wonder July 2007
Grand Princess Thanksgiving 2007
Norwegian Sun March 2008
Emerald Princess 10-day Thanksgiving 2008
Crown Princess Christmas 2009
Norwegian Sky June 2013
Norwegian Getaway October 2014 First Cruise with kids!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM
S.S.Oceanlover's Avatar
S.S.Oceanlover S.S.Oceanlover is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
Im just on a 3 day Wonder trip next week and was wondering (pardon the pun) is there a way to know your dining rotation in advance?? I would like to book Palo online but dont want to miss animators palate. Oh on the same note...which of the other 2 restaurants would you recomend skipping for Palo?
Can't answer your questions. Just wanted to say that you are lucky if you can still book Palos and your cruise leaves next week. When I made final payment at 75 days out there were no more reservations to be had online. I am told that I should have no problems booking once on the ship. Time will tell.

Bill
__________________



Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM
BirthdayGirl30's Avatar
BirthdayGirl30 BirthdayGirl30 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 626
Default

Hey, Bill

I think I'm on your sailing, and I am not having any trouble getting Palo reservations or switching around. I'm in a cat 3, if that makes a difference. But, you may want to try again, or call your TA.
__________________
Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Fascination (Last time ever on Carnival!--ha! See below), Disney Wonder, Norweigan Sky, RCCL Monarch, RCCL Majesty, and Celebrity Millennium, Carnival Legend (putting Carnival back on our map, sort of)

Favorite line so far: Celebrity by a mile.

Future trips:





bfoxworthy@embarqmail.com
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:01 PM
YellowDog's Avatar
YellowDog YellowDog is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 247
Default

Thanks gang...I just heard that Palo is sold out for our cruise anyway...but as suggested I will check again once on the ship.

thanks
__________________
Disney Magic July 1999
Grand Princess June 2003
Caribbean Princess July 2006
Disney Wonder July 2007
Grand Princess Thanksgiving 2007
Norwegian Sun March 2008
Emerald Princess 10-day Thanksgiving 2008
Crown Princess Christmas 2009
Norwegian Sky June 2013
Norwegian Getaway October 2014 First Cruise with kids!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:00 PM
S.S.Oceanlover's Avatar
S.S.Oceanlover S.S.Oceanlover is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthdayGirl30 View Post
Hey, Bill

I think I'm on your sailing, and I am not having any trouble getting Palo reservations or switching around. I'm in a cat 3, if that makes a difference. But, you may want to try again, or call your TA.
Hi BG,

I'm on the Magic September 8th. I could have tried for Palos at the 90 mark since I'm a past guest but you had to be paid in full at that time which I wasn't.

Bill
__________________



Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM
FigmentsKiss's Avatar
FigmentsKiss FigmentsKiss is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 87
Default Just as an FYI

Palo does not make all the spots available online at the 90 or 75 day mark. DCL puts a limited # of tables for Palo available online (about 1/3) to allow those with internet access the ability to book in advance. But, since not everyone has internet access (gasp, I know the concept is hard for us to believe) they hold a majority of the seatings for on board booking.
Hey, on the bright side, they do allow guests to do advance bookings for Palo, the spa, etc. Some cruise lines don't.

If Palo is a priority just head to Rocking Bar D/Wavebands upon boarding, before heading to the buffet for lunch.
__________________
Disney Magic 7/20/2000
Disney Magic 7/28/2001 Engagement Cruise
Celebrity Infinity 10/9/2002 Honeymoon
Disney Wonder 7/20/2003 My 30th Birthday Cruise
Disney Magic 7/22/2006 Double Dip
Disney Wonder Back to Back 4/29/2007 and 5/3/2007
Mariner of the Seas 8/19/2007
Disney Magic 1/12/2008 Babymoon
Disney Magic 10/25/2008 DDs 1st cruise
Freedom of the Seas 11/1/2009 DHs 40th Birthday cruise
Oasis of the Seas 10/30/2010
Alllure of the Seas 11/29/2010
Disney Dream 01/21/2011
Disney Dream 10/30/2011
Disney Fantasy 04/28/2012
Ruby Princess 2/10/2013
Norwegian Breakaway 6/30/2013- My Birthday cruise
Norwegian Pearl
Next Up
New Years on Quantum of the seas
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM
S.S.Oceanlover's Avatar
S.S.Oceanlover S.S.Oceanlover is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentsKiss View Post
Palo does not make all the spots available online at the 90 or 75 day mark. DCL puts a limited # of tables for Palo available online (about 1/3) to allow those with internet access the ability to book in advance. But, since not everyone has internet access (gasp, I know the concept is hard for us to believe) they hold a majority of the seatings for on board booking.
Hey, on the bright side, they do allow guests to do advance bookings for Palo, the spa, etc. Some cruise lines don't.

If Palo is a priority just head to Rocking Bar D/Wavebands upon boarding, before heading to the buffet for lunch.
Thanks for that tip. I heard I SHOULD be able to get one once onboard but didn't know where to go. Now I know.

Bill
__________________



Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
MESH's Avatar
MESH MESH is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 111
Default Dining Rotation

When we made our reservations through our Travel Agent, we asked to have Luminers (Disney Magic) as our first dining experience as the rotation is set. Either call Disney or have your Travel Agent handle.

Palo as you have read will need to be handled when you arrive if you cannot make the reservations on the Internet.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
martodd martodd is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 381
Default

We have only sailed on DCL once and it was 2 years ago, but the one suggestion I can give, if you are going to make your Palo reservations on board, board as early as you can, and go right to place they are taking reservations. We were on the early side of boarding I think it was 12:00, went to our cabin to see it, and then went to make the reservations and they were booked for the whole week. And the lines were very long, just to get put on a waiting list. It was so dissappointing. I am happy to hear that having sailed before we can book 90 days out if final payment has been made, as we are looking at sailing again with DCL in 2009.
Good Luck!!
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Host Mick's Avatar
Host Mick Host Mick is offline
Cruise Critic Host
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Newark, CA. USA
Posts: 3,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
Thanks gang...I just heard that Palo is sold out for our cruise anyway...but as suggested I will check again once on the ship.

thanks
Don't worry,
They don't make all of the reservations available in advence, only an unknown percentage. Once aboard, the rest of the reservations open up.
__________________
Mickey M
Cruise Critic Board Host
HostMick@cruisecritic.com

Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
palofmine's Avatar
palofmine palofmine is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 911
Default

What the heck is PALO
__________________
Infinity 08/08
Freedom of the Seas 12/07
Legend of the Seas 04/07
Nordic Empress 05/99
Oasis of the Seas 7/2012
Grandeur of the Seas 7/2013
Vision of the seas 8/2014





Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:02 PM
HisChildBeth HisChildBeth is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Wink Palo

Palo is a really nice, expensive restaurant for adults only where you get to dress up and act like you are part of the Rich and Famous. Well, I've never been there, but from all I've been reading it is really a nice place where you can dress up and feel special, BUT IT IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE. You have to pay for it separately and it is not IHOP . From the way people seem to be beating their way to the door it must be a real highlight of the cruise. My daughter and I are going to try for a seating once we get on board since we didn't know when we were going until yesterday.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:53 AM
S.S.Oceanlover's Avatar
S.S.Oceanlover S.S.Oceanlover is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisChildBeth View Post
Palo is a really nice, expensive restaurant for adults only where you get to dress up and act like you are part of the Rich and Famous. Well, I've never been there, but from all I've been reading it is really a nice place where you can dress up and feel special, BUT IT IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE. You have to pay for it separately and it is not IHOP . From the way people seem to be beating their way to the door it must be a real highlight of the cruise. My daughter and I are going to try for a seating once we get on board since we didn't know when we were going until yesterday.
Palo is only $10pp. I wouldn't call that expensive even by my cheapskate standards.

Bill
__________________



Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:06 AM
yndygo's Avatar
yndygo yndygo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 153
Default

We did the 3-night Wonder back in March - and since I didn't book the trip until late February, there were no Palo res to be had...

BUT - thanks to the boards, I was told to go to RockinD/Wavebar and try...

We were lazy about it, since I wasn't sure I wanted to miss one of the restaurants... so we went onboard around 11:30, had lunch at Parrot Cay, and then went to the bar - and they had plenty of Palo ressies left.

That said, if it's important to you...
When you get your KTTW card in the port, look down on it for a 3-letter acronym like TAP or APT or PTA - that's your rotation... so if you want to skip say, Parrot Cay (that's what we opted for based on advice) look for the P, then as soon as you get on board, turn right and head to RockinD/Wavebands and find the Palo guy - if the person helping you on board tries to take you to Parrot Cay say "thanks, we're going to get Palo reservations first"


HTH
__________________

Upcoming Cruises
Carnival Triumph 4-night 12/02/2010

Previous Cruises
Carnival Destiny 4-night 11/11/2009
Disney Wonder 4-night 12/5/2009 cabin #5134
Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-night 11/10/07 cabin #5634
Disney Wonder 3-night 3/29/07 cabin #5134


Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:32 AM
PantherFan's Avatar
PantherFan PantherFan is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover View Post
Palo is only $10pp. I wouldn't call that expensive even by my cheapskate standards.

Bill
RCL & others charge $20. pp.

Given the choice skip Parrot Cay
__________________
252 nights at sea and counting

Last edited by PantherFan; August 23rd, 2007 at 07:34 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
S.S.Oceanlover's Avatar
S.S.Oceanlover S.S.Oceanlover is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherFan View Post
RCL & others charge $20. pp.

Given the choice skip Parrot Cay
There is one restaurant on NCL that is $15-$20 each. Then if you want they charge you even more.

Bill
__________________



Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM
HisChildBeth HisChildBeth is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Red face Palo Cost and Clothes

Oh, that is good news - only $10 a person! I was told on another board (I surfed a lot before I got here) that it was really expensive, at least $50 per person. Oh, I must be carefully to check every source before I make an incorrect statement and get people upset at me.

To be sure I am correct, is it true that Palo is "formal" like "formal" night? Cocktail dresses or long gowns?

I walked into a sale last weekend that I never expected. It was at a really nice store and I thought I'd see if the clearance racks might cough up something pretty for the cruise in September since the fall stuff is coming in. Clearance is the only way I could buy at this place. Well, did I luck out. The women's fine dresses were on sale!

I found the perfect piece that should be able carry me through many cruises if I keep crusing since I don't go anywhere that requires formal dress. A pair of black tafetta and chiffon pallazo pants (pallazo's have these big full legs that look like a skirt and swirl around your legs). Because they are tafetta they make this neat crackly sound combined with the soft swish of chiffon. Very elegant and even better they were marked down twice so I got them for 75% off! Now you take a classic piece like this and buy a differnt top now and then at the next mega sale and you are set not to be embarrased at the finest formal cruise night.

Once before, at a formal business affair that I didn't know about until the last minute, I tried to get by with a nice pair of black suit slacks, a lacy blouse, and a shawl. I was stared at all night like I belonged in the kitchen. I never want to get caught making a social faux pau like that again!

That night was so traumatic I've had the same dream of me, but I looked Goldie Hawn, sitting mortified in a huge room of elegantly attired people with nobody talking to me. So I slipped out of my chair under the table and made my great escape around people's legs under tables, behind the curtains along the walls, and to the patio doors where I had to pop up behind a potted palm and slip out the door only to be foiled in my escape as I stepped out the door and came up face to chest with my boss. That's where I wake up. Probably a good thing because I could never pull that off in a million years.

Oh Hush Beth! People don't have time for your rambling bunny trails!
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
S.S.Oceanlover's Avatar
S.S.Oceanlover S.S.Oceanlover is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisChildBeth View Post
Oh, that is good news - only $10 a person! I was told on another board (I surfed a lot before I got here) that it was really expensive, at least $50 per person. Oh, I must be carefully to check every source before I make an incorrect statement and get people upset at me.

To be sure I am correct, is it true that Palo is "formal" like "formal" night? Cocktail dresses or long gowns?

I walked into a sale last weekend that I never expected. It was at a really nice store and I thought I'd see if the clearance racks might cough up something pretty for the cruise in September since the fall stuff is coming in. Clearance is the only way I could buy at this place. Well, did I luck out. The women's fine dresses were on sale!

I found the perfect piece that should be able carry me through many cruises if I keep crusing since I don't go anywhere that requires formal dress. A pair of black tafetta and chiffon pallazo pants (pallazo's have these big full legs that look like a skirt and swirl around your legs). Because they are tafetta they make this neat crackly sound combined with the soft swish of chiffon. Very elegant and even better they were marked down twice so I got them for 75% off! Now you take a classic piece like this and buy a differnt top now and then at the next mega sale and you are set not to be embarrased at the finest formal cruise night.

Once before, at a formal business affair that I didn't know about until the last minute, I tried to get by with a nice pair of black suit slacks, a lacy blouse, and a shawl. I was stared at all night like I belonged in the kitchen. I never want to get caught making a social faux pau like that again!

That night was so traumatic I've had the same dream of me, but I looked Goldie Hawn, sitting mortified in a huge room of elegantly attired people with nobody talking to me. So I slipped out of my chair under the table and made my great escape around people's legs under tables, behind the curtains along the walls, and to the patio doors where I had to pop up behind a potted palm and slip out the door only to be foiled in my escape as I stepped out the door and came up face to chest with my boss. That's where I wake up. Probably a good thing because I could never pull that off in a million years.

Oh Hush Beth! People don't have time for your rambling bunny trails!
I copied this from the Disney website.
This applies to Palo:
At dinner, dress shirt or jacket are required for men; a dress or pantsuit for women. No jeans allowed. At brunch and high tea attire is "cruise casual" — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops.

Bill
__________________



Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.