elegant night pictures of families who did NOT dress to the nines!

bluenoser2

A bit of a strange request....but my DH and I have only cruised with Princess, and HE (amazingly, not ME) is agonizing over what to wear on elegant nights - we really do love eating in the MDR, so the buffet at dinner isn't something we're looking for, but as we're travelling this time (first time!) with our 3 children (21, 16, 14) we're really trying to pack light and don't men's shoes take up more room than anything!!! I'm trying to convince him that he does NOT need to take a pair of dress black shoes that would only be used in the dining room - if he had nice navy blue, or khaki, or tan pants, couldn't he use his loafers that he can use for walking around during the day? The same goes for my 21 year old son who NEVER dresses up (church is CLEAN jeans, and a t-shirt, and sneakers) - he also has a mobility problem, so usually finds it much easier (and safer) to wear his good running shoes (they're not white tennies or anything like that). So if any of you have taken pictures of your family on elegant night without dressing up a lot, I'd love to see your pictures, so I can give DH a visual of what makes it past the fashion police at the MDR door! Thanks so much!

I had my grandsons wear, nice New Polo shirts and Nice Pants (school uniform pants) and thier new Black Sneakers (unless you really looked at thier feet you would not know).

They were more dressed up than most kids on the ship.

oh! I looked at my post again, and realized it DOES look different than what I meant! I SHOULD have said "WANTED: pics .......

And LoriTX, you have wonderful grandchildren - they look perfect! And that's just the kind of thing I wanted to see. Thank you so much.

I saw a pic from a couple in the MDR on elegant night (conquest 1/16/11 sailing) where the fellow was wearing denim overalls and a grin. If he made it past the fashion police, Im sure your hubby will! On the second elegant night my hunny wore khakis and a button down shirt (cannot remember the shoes, but Im sure they were not the dress shoes).

I have noted before that 1) the MRD is usually packed as people are coming in and 2) a bit dim. Best I can tell you could be barefoot and nobody would notice. I really would not worry about what is on anyones feet. And a collared shirt of any sort and pants a half step up from jeans will put any male into the norm even on elegant night.

wear what you are comfortable with. You don't have to dress to the Nines just b/c it is elegant night. I am not saying bust out the wife beater and ripped up shorts. But I always crack up when people get offended and say just b/s someone is not dressed to their liking for that particular day that it just Ruins their dinner. My wife and I do not dress bummy by all means but on a longer cruise especially by the time the 2nd formal night rolls around we are way more casual than when we started.

so go with what you are comfortable wearing and ENJOY!

We sat beside a couple on Elegant night two weeks ago who said they didn't get the Fun Times that day and didn't know it was Elegant Night. She had on shorts and a nice shirt and a fancy necklace. He had on khaki shorts, sandals and a short sleeve shirt.

We saw a man in a shirt with cut off sleeves one night.

What you described sounds just fine!

I will say that my husband did not want to bring his black shoes and I refused to let him wear his brown shoes with his nice black suit so I crammed them in the suit case. Well he got chosen to be Frank Sinatra in the Legends show and I told him "Aren't you glad I made you bring those shoes!" Once he had them, he seemed to wear them a lot. All that said though...your DH will be fine with his brown ones!

my boyfriend forgot to pack his dress shoes on our last cruise, so he wore his sneakers with his suit :eek:

OMG...I read this and laughed so hard that i spit Tea all over the computer screen....lol Thanks for the great laugh, I needed that today!!!

My younger daughter and I wore dresses and my DH wore a shirt & tie, slacks and nice brown shoes. My disabled daughter who uses a wheelchair full time wore a nice black shirt (lacy) and dark pants. My son wore jeans. :eek: and a button down shirt! I told him to walk closely behind his sister's WC so he wouldn't be noticed. Once we were in the MDR, I noticed LOTS of people not so elegantly/formally dressed! Other jeans, t-shirts, etc. Most people were in dressy church style clothes and a few in formal wear!

But I always crack up when people get offended and say just b/s someone is not dressed to their liking for that particular day that it just Ruins their dinner.

I am so there with you - on our Fantasy cruise out of NOLA a few years ago, we opted to dress a little less formally for dinner than a woman at a table about 10 feet away from us would have liked...She complained, pointed, called the maitre d' over and complained, began fanning herself as if she was going to pass out...All the while screeching that is was FORMAL NIGHT !@#@!# !@#@! it! It was hilarious - her tablemates were mortified, my tablemates all sent her various cocktails which only made her more hysterical when we would wave when they were delivered...

I think you will find great leniency in the rules of dress for formal night - khakis and button downs with a jacket and loafers is fine. So are tuxedos. Lots to choose from - have fun :D

A bit of a strange request....but my DH and I have only cruised with Princess, and HE (amazingly, not ME) is agonizing over what to wear on elegant nights - we really do love eating in the MDR, so the buffet at dinner isn't something we're looking for, but as we're travelling this time (first time!) with our 3 children (21, 16, 14) we're really trying to pack light and don't men's shoes take up more room than anything!!! I'm trying to convince him that he does NOT need to take a pair of dress black shoes that would only be used in the dining room - if he had nice navy blue, or khaki, or tan pants, couldn't he use his loafers that he can use for walking around during the day? The same goes for my 21 year old son who NEVER dresses up (church is CLEAN jeans, and a t-shirt, and sneakers) - he also has a mobility problem, so usually finds it much easier (and safer) to wear his good running shoes (they're not white tennies or anything like that). So if any of you have taken pictures of your family on elegant night without dressing up a lot, I'd love to see your pictures, so I can give DH a visual of what makes it past the fashion police at the MDR door! Thanks so much!

Loafers will be fine! After repacking my suitcases at the airport counter in San Juan trying to rearrange things to get them underweight, I ended up carrying all the heavy stuff in my carryon, that is, all the heavy things we were allowed to carry, my husband is not bringing his dress shoes this time, unless HE will carry them home!:D

All one needs to know is if your bar of dress is above the lines bar of dress.

You just must realize the closer you are to it, the lower you are in the scale of fashion.

Not all are elligible for the red carpet. Some like to stand behind the tape.

It's all how you see yourself.

I am so there with you - on our Fantasy cruise out of NOLA a few years ago, we opted to dress a little less formally for dinner than a woman at a table about 10 feet away from us would have liked...She complained, pointed, called the maitre d' over and complained, began fanning herself as if she was going to pass out...All the while screeching that is was FORMAL NIGHT !@#@!# !@#@! it! It was hilarious - her tablemates were mortified, my tablemates all sent her various cocktails which only made her more hysterical when we would wave when they were delivered...

I think you will find great leniency in the rules of dress for formal night - khakis and button downs with a jacket and loafers is fine. So are tuxedos. Lots to choose from - have fun :D

LOL - thanks for the laugh - hilarious - I'm surprised she didn't get removed from the MDR. :D:D:D

Do what my guys did this past time: Dress nice, but wear your tennis shoes. If you can handle that, then you will not have to bring along extra shoes and you can still eat in the MDR. I thought it would bother me, but it was actually cool and funny. I see another poster did the same things in a photo above.

Love the pictures! Last year my DH forgot his hanging/dress clothes. He rented tux pants from the ship and wore a white polo type shirt and his sandals. My DS 21 wore khakis and polo shirts and they did not look out of place on elegant night.

Thanks everyone for the great laughs - I spit hot chocolate all over my lap reading some of your replies! :o And those pics.....well, I can hardly wait to show the DH - he'll have a whole new attitude towards how to dress for dinner....but we'd have to buy a lot of hair product for one of those portraits I think.....

And booboo925....what were you wearing that caused such a kafuffle at the next table?!! Wow. That would be the entertainment for the evening for me - who needs a theatre show with that!

Archived