Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Disney Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disney Cruise Line
Read Disney Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Disney Cruise Deals.

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyez915 View Post
which only emphasizes this point even more : Everyone handles crises differently and you never really know just how you will feel when a situation arises until you are actually experiencing it for yourself.
However as I said, people are far more willing to help someone who doesn't become irrational.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

Sometime in 2016, ship, month, and itinerary TBD

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Irrationality vs fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
However as I said, people are far more willing to help someone who doesn't become irrational.
In my opinion the fear of losing a child is not irrational. Incapacitating maybe, but not irrational. Irrationality is the absence of logic, you can be scared and still be logical. You can be emotional and upset yet still be logical. What part of this father wanting answers as to why things happened the way they did is not logical?

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:58 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyez915 View Post
In my opinion the fear of losing a child is not irrational. Incapacitating maybe, but not irrational. Irrationality is the absence of logic, you can be scared and still be logical. You can be emotional and upset yet still be logical. What part of this father wanting answers as to why things happened the way they did is not logical?
I don't think anyone has said that DCL doesn't need to rethink some of their policies.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

Sometime in 2016, ship, month, and itinerary TBD

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydee718 View Post
Also, I agree with the PP that to demand a full refund because your child was where he was supposed to be and you just didn't know it, seems a bit ridiculous. While from the author's point-of-view I can understand why he was frustrated, there are two sides to the story and we have no idea what really went on here.
We know half of what went on. I wonder what was happening on the DCL side. Their side wasn't included in the story. For security reasons I assume, they didn't tell the parents exactly what was gong on.

Last edited by Host Mick; March 14th, 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Other than the fact that the little boy was "missing"...and he truly was, regardless of whether or not he was still inside the Kids Club....the one thing that's driving me nuts with this whole thing, is everyone saying the dad "DEMANDED" a refund.

He asked, and was denied. End of story. He never said that he was going to sue....he hasn't ranted and raved. He blogged. Yes, he's a writer to some degree or another, and yes, the word has spread. SO? Every time something happens on any other cruise line, it's splattered in great big headlines all over the news.

Should every "bad" incident that happens on or at Disney be kept a secret for some reason?????

Old March 14th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

It should definitely be talked about and people should know about it. I mean that is why we post on these forums and look at blogs, right?

I think what I've learned from this is that Disney obviously doesn't watch the kids in these clubs very much. They aren't leaving the clubs, but they can easily fall asleep in odd places and be "misplaced" that way. I would be worried though if kids were disappearing and running around the ship alone.

I don't know what they could have offered to make him happier or what would be considered "fair". I think talking to the cruise director was good. I guess I don't know what Disney could have done better outside of having the bracelet work. Everyone has their own ideas about how someone should handle things. Some people don't want to be consoled if they are upset or be touched, etc. So, I don't know. I guess that's why we are all here - to discuss it and learn from each other and make hopefully it'll never happen to us. If it does though - I learned some things from this discussion!

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
Other than the fact that the little boy was "missing"...and he truly was, regardless of whether or not he was still inside the Kids Club....the one thing that's driving me nuts with this whole thing, is everyone saying the dad "DEMANDED" a refund.

He asked, and was denied. End of story. He never said that he was going to sue....he hasn't ranted and raved. He blogged. Yes, he's a writer to some degree or another, and yes, the word has spread. SO? Every time something happens on any other cruise line, it's splattered in great big headlines all over the news.

Should every "bad" incident that happens on or at Disney be kept a secret for some reason?????

Actually NO he was not misisng , he was taking a nap right in the rooms he was supposed to be in!

The Father admitted himself he over reacted and Yes he did demend!.he tolok the time to hand write a note, abit, a said to be politie one, but at the point that is a DEMAND, polite note or not!

Lets be hoest folks,,,,,,,,,this has been greatly over blown..........I truly beleive if this was not Disney and the Father did not write out a long, IMO, *gee I want attention* blog story, true or not, we would not be having this discussion. The Fathers lost alot of credibility with me, went he went so far as demanding the Master, and CD come to Palos and stand *hat in hand as it were* in public and allogize AGAIN................that screams.*I WANT ATTENTION*, it was not about hs son.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; March 15th, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
His time frames are inconsistent with the amount of travel he claims to have done all over the ship unless he's the Flash.

I also find it impossible to believe a perfect stranger told him that he was considering leaving the ship at the next port over it.
That's not so unbelievable. Err, nevermind, I can't come up with enough of a ridiculous exaggeration to demonstrate how stupid it would be for someone to threaten to leave a cruise based on something that did not happen to them. Something about this story is out of phase.

Old March 28th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Actually NO he was not misisng , he was taking a nap right in the rooms he was supposed to be in!
Since the staff didn't know that, I would say he was missing.

If the system worked the way it should have, the staff would have been able to just say "oh, your son is over there in the corner"- the system didn't work which caused a huge amount of stress for the parents. Not 'free cruise' level, but I understand why they were so upset. Having lost track of a kid makes me really concerned on how well monitored the programs are.
Planned:
[strike]NCL Jewel- Western Carribean 12/8/13[/strike]
Celebrity Xpedition- Galapagos 9/28/14

Old March 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittl1321 View Post

If the system worked the way it should have, the staff would have been able to just say "oh, your son is over there in the corner"- the system didn't work which caused a huge amount of stress for the parents. Not 'free cruise' level, but I understand why they were so upset. Having lost track of a kid makes me really concerned on how well monitored the programs are.
Actually, that's not how the system is supposed to work. All the staff would be able to say is whether or not the kiddo is in the club, not where in the club the kiddo is. So, if dad had been thinking logically, he would have known that kiddo can't leave the lab without the adult trying to take him presenting a KTTW card and the secret password, so even if the RFID tag was listed as malfunctioning his kiddo would be in the club somewhere, so before running off to check the gangway, which also has additional security to ensure kids can't leave the ship without mom and dad, he probably should have done a very thorough sweep of the club/lab area.

Those RFID tags aren't GPIS locators. They don't tell the club staff where in the area the kids are, just whether or not they've been checked in or out. There's nothing out there from Disney about being able to locate children in the club or lab using the tags.

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsGoodLife View Post
Actually, that's not how the system is supposed to work. All the staff would be able to say is whether or not the kiddo is in the club, not where in the club the kiddo is.

There's nothing out there from Disney about being able to locate children in the club or lab using the tags.
Sorry, I was thinking of two parts of the system and did not make myself clear- one being the RFID element which would say the kid is in the club, the other being the human element, which I hope would have some idea of where their charges are.

I've run daycamps with 300+ kids. It is a BAD day when someone on the staff can't tell me exactly where each kid is. That is what supervision is. They should have been able to tell the parents "your son is playing video games" or "he is sleeping in the corner" or "he's on the lounger talking with friends", or at least have an idea of where he was in the past 5 minutes. To me, the RFID should only be a safeguard if the human element fails.

In this case, both parts did.

I'm heavily considering Disney for a cruise with my 3 nephews. A single incident like this isn't going to change the opinion I've gathered of their kids clubs based on so many positive reviews, but it is something to think about.
Planned:
[strike]NCL Jewel- Western Carribean 12/8/13[/strike]
Celebrity Xpedition- Galapagos 9/28/14

Last edited by skittl1321; March 28th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittl1321 View Post

I would strongly disagree....he was where he was supposed to be......this is not much different then a child playing hide and seek. He was in the rooms where he was supposed to be in.

As to the family, there is a number of issues in the story presented by the Father which do not add up right. Yet he was honest enough to clearly state he *OVER REACTED*

I do agree the RFID did have a problem, that DCL stated and I am sure is/has been looked into. I am sure DCL doesn't want the same thing to happen again.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; March 28th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.