Help me pick an itinerary for a 40th anniv and 60th birthday celebration please.

DEBBO1012

We are looking for a very special way to celebrate both on an extended precruise, cruise, postcruise. For example, fly to Hawaii and stay a week or two. Then fly to Tahiti and take the Paul Gauguin 2 week cruise. Finally, fly to Austraila and spend another week or two, diving the great barrier reef. We did the first half in '08 but had to come back early because business concerns during the meltdown. We don't want to repeat this itinerary, but would like a similarly fabulous trip. What cruises have you really enjoyed and paired with pre and post trips?

You can find a number of great itineraries, by combining cruises. For instance, next fall, we will be on the Ocean Princess for 2 cruises b2b. The first is 28 days from Rome to Singapore and the second 20 days from Singapore to Sydney

Well it is pretty hard to know what you would like

We did northern Europe cruise France , Belgium, U.K. Netherlands then a Norway cruise up to the Arctic circle b2b total of 30 days you could add days on each end to suit you

This may not be what you are looking for but we loved it

Also celebrated our 40th anniversary

We went with Oceania on the Insignia (less than 700 pax)

Lyn

We don't really know what we want either. My example of the Hawaii, Paul Gauguin, Austraila itinerary had been on our bucket list for quite some time. We enjoy an active lifestyle and beautiful scenery, but want do something very special. Our typical vacations are on liveaboards dive boats with pre and post cruise time. For this cruise, though, diving is not a necessity. I'm hoping to hear some extended itineraries others have taken that we're once in alive time experiences.

I am not sure at what point your last trip was cut short but we thought French Polynesia was amazing. If you didn't get to do that portion then definitely give it a try. We thought the beauty of FP was stunning, with the underwater experience as incredible as the above, and hope to return in a few years.

You could do a cruise on the Paul Gauguin or Princess depending on budget and timing. It may be hard to choose the itinerary because while they are all south pacific islands there is a unique beauty and charm to each. Our favorite tour was a private tour with Keishi Tours on Bora Bora. It was our favorite water travel experiences of all time.

Then afterwards spend some time in the Tuamotus. Rangiroa was very unique. The middle island has sunk back into the ocean and all that is left is the atoll. It is one of the most remote places we have ever been. You could drift dive the pass and take some unique tours that combine hiking and snorkeling/ swimming. We really liked Tilehau as well but there is not as much to do there as Rangiroa. We absolutely loved staying in an overwater bungalow and would recommend you do that at least once in your life.

If you want to extend the trip more you could sail from FP to Sydney. You could then fly to Cairns and stay on a live aboard out on the Great Barrier Reef. We did this with Reef Encounter with their top deck option and had an amazing time.

A lot will depend on the activities you want to do, so let that be your guide. Good luck with your planning.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. We've had the grandkids this no computer time:)

Didn't mean to be evasive, just didn't want to bore anyone with details. We did one of two weeks on the Paul Gauguin and had to fly back home early due to the financial meltdown in '08. We've thought about repeating it as the center of our Hawaii, French Polynesia, Australia trip, but it brings back such bitter memories of that awful time, we've decided to look for something different.

I know a "trip of a lifetime" means different things to different people. What I'm asking is for everyone to tell me about their favorite itineraries that include pre and post cruise stays. We love cruising, but enjoy extended stays in fantastic places in combination. Maybe I worded my question awkwardly?

Funny, Alaska is on our bucket list, but as a motorhome trip. You may have inadvertently given me a better itinerary, though, by posting your suggestion. What if we drove our motorhome to Canada, barged it up to Alaska (already planned) parked it while we do an Alaskan cruise, then continued to our Alaskan motorhome tour? Hmmmm, something to think about. We've done the inner passage, what other cruise could we do? What time of year should we do this?

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. We've had the grandkids this no computer time:)

Didn't mean to be evasive, just didn't want to bore anyone with details. We did one of two weeks on the Paul Gauguin and had to fly back home early due to the financial meltdown in '08. We've thought about repeating it as the center of our Hawaii, French Polynesia, Australia trip, but it brings back such bitter memories of that awful time, we've decided to look for something different.

I know a "trip of a lifetime" means different things to different people. What I'm asking is for everyone to tell me about their favorite itineraries that include pre and post cruise stays. We love cruising, but enjoy extended stays in fantastic places in combination. Maybe I worded my question awkwardly?

I was going to recommend the cruise we are going on in 259 days. It is our dream trip and the top of the bucket list. Before the cruise we will be traveling in New Zealand and Australia. I understand the '08 reference, this cruise was going to be our 2009 trip until 2008 happened. I hope you find exactly the trip you are looking for. :)

It's fantastic! Wish we could have stayed the entire 2 weeks! Here is my trip report:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=878693

We'll have a great time wherever we go, just haven't stumbled onto "IT" yet. Hoping someone here, might give us a place to start. Alaska, as mentioned previously, is on the list of possibilities. New Zealand and Australia, also.

We just got back from a b2b on the Nieuw Amsterdam which visited the Eastern and Western Med. I've got a b2b booked on the Eurodam for next year which visits the Baltics, Norwegian fjords, Scotland and Ireland. There are some really neat itineraries once you start looking at the b2b's. HAL especially has some very good itineraries.

I'm turning 50 next year and am also looking for a very "special" itinerary. If I could get lots of time off, HAL has a 68 day cruise that goes from Fort Lauderdale , through the Panama Canal, the Chilean fjords, Antarctica , the Amazon and back to Fort Lauderdale, with other interesting ports. Other really interesting cruises are ones to Antarctica or the Arctic or the Galapagos.

Archived