What is right at the port?

carmel

When I googled Costa Maya, the overhead showed an area by the port with orangish buildings. What are those? Shops? Also, I thought I saw a swimming pool there. Is that free? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

When it comes to shopping you need to haggle the price down and do so at the end of the day. :) One year we did a great Mayan Temple tour along with lunch in a Mayan home. We booked the tour just outside of the complex near the taxi stand.

The port looks really pretty. We are going to the beach at Tropicante (this is our 'crowded beach day'. Roatan is our 'deserted beach day'.)

We will probably do our shopping in Mahahual around the Tropicante but this pool looks delicious and I'm sure I'll have to take a dip before returning to the ship. We are there for a long time that day so as long as my sunscreen holds, my butt is gonna be swimming!

I have found that costa maya is a port that depends how many ships are in that day. The beautiful pictures are likely taken on a day where there was one ship in port. Three can make things in the port area pretty tight and a little hectic. Just my opinion.

I agree about the number of ships. At the end of the day as we are coming back from an all inclusive, the pool is packed. Have been there many times and I do not bother shopping at the port area. Either the merchandise is touristy (that is fine too if you have not been there) or jewelry shops. Have not tried anyplace to eat at the port either. I prefer to go downtown or do an all inclusive.