Cork, Ireland

Lynnees

We will be in Cork for a day in April. We are not interested in ships tours at all.

Can anyone suggest what we can do or if there are hire cars with driver to tour the area?

Marilyn

Most ships dock at Cobh which is a few miles outside of Cork.

This town is worth seeing on its own or take the train into Cork for a morning trip then return and do Cobh in the afternoon.

The train station is right alongside the dock and trains leave every 30 minutes.

The town of Cobh is interesting and is right there off the ship. To get to Cork you take the train that is located right off the ship also. It's about a 15 to 20 minute ride. But I would suggest a taxi to downtown Cork. As I found it to be a good hike.

• 6 years later...

Will be in Cork May 10th for on the Infinity and am looking into hiring a car - being an Aussie think it will be no issue as we drive on the same side Downunder - and I want to discover my ancestral home !! :D

I read I can hire a car near the terminal (expensive but convenient) my main concern is a late drop off say 7pm.

Has anyone any advice/tips on getting to Kinshale and Blarney - is it doable in say six hours ? Can I buy the Blarney tickets in advance ?

Thanks so much, Cheers

Will be in Cork May 10th for on the Infinity and am looking into hiring a car - being an Aussie think it will be no issue as we drive on the same side Downunder - and I want to discover my ancestral home !! :D

I read I can hire a car near the terminal (expensive but convenient) my main concern is a late drop off say 7pm.

Has anyone any advice/tips on getting to Kinshale and Blarney - is it doable in say six hours ? Can I buy the Blarney tickets in advance ?

Thanks so much, Cheers

What's your ship arrival/departure time? Cobh-Kinsale-Blarney-Cobh is about 2-2.5hrs of driving.

Both Kinsale and Blarney are pretty small (and pretty, and small). Personally I'd "see" Kinsale in about half an hour, then spend another hour having coffee/a drink. However I've been there a lot, so if you're seeing it fresh, you may want to spend more time there.

Blarney has the castle, the grounds, and the woollen mills (a big shop) - could easily spend 3-4 hours there without blinking, and that's before you stop for coffee/lunch.

See a guide to Blarney Castle and Grounds here: http://www.blarneycastle.ie/files/20110309114903Blarney%20Castle%20Guidebook%202011.pdf

You can buy tickets in advance at http://www.blarneycastle.ie/ though I wouldn't see the need.

Unless you have a particular yen for Kinsale, I'd probably go to Blarney first, and see how you're doing for time once you're finished there. At that point it would take 30-40 minutes to get back to Cobh, or 45 minutes to Kinsale, and then another 45 minutes back to Cobh.

Kinsale has lovely seafood, so if you have time it could be nice to get something to eat there.

And I would disagree with Thoie ;)

Kinsale is a much nicer visit than Blarney in my opinion. If you drive to Kinsale then after the town go to Jamesfort and/or Charlesfort for a visit. I always take visitors to Charlesfort, it's such a wonderful view over the harbour and down into Kinsale.

Blarney - I can leave it or take it. (Problem with living 4 miles from it!!). Kiss the blarney stone if you wish. Its a steep climb up crumbling stone stairs so that you can lie out to kiss a bit of rock that 100 odd people have already salivated over today alone. ugh.

The woollen mills is a fine shop, but it is prime tourist real estate. The hotel is poor.

So I would head to Kinsale first, have lunch there and then head to Blarney if really interested in it. There is always Fota House and Estate just outside Cobh or indeed Cobh itself would be a lovely finish to you day (ignoring Blarney completely).

Maybe I just have too many childhood traumas of Sunday "We're going somewhere nice for a spin!" "Yay!" "Yes, let's go to Kinsale." "Awww".

Fota is a good idea - too many skip over it, and you could spend an entire day there between the wildlife park and house and arboretum.

If you want to go to Fota, you don't even need to hire a car - you can catch a train from right beside the cruise ship (every 30 minutes). It's 10 minutes on the train (with free wifi!).

Maybe I just have too many childhood traumas of Sunday "We're going somewhere nice for a spin!" "Yay!" "Yes, let's go to Kinsale."

Some say its never been the same since the Lusitania Grill closed. :eek:

Thanks for your tips - will rethink Blarney ...

We arrive at Noon and leave at 8pm, so it is not a long day really :(

Any idea's for a nice pub lunch (somewhere 'old' and 'village'

Coming from Oz I am in awe of anything over a hundred years old:D

Hello,

I will be in Waterford (Dunsmore East) from 8 AM to 6 PM off the Crystal Symphony. How far from Cork is Waterford ? :confused:

I will stay in Dublin for 1 week, post-cruise. How far is Cork from Dublin ? :confused:

Would I be better off to do Cork during my Dublin stay and see Waterford when we stop for that port ??? :confused:

Thank God for the IRISH.

Donna (my Mum was a Wallace) :D

Glad to see this thread. Any suggestions for just walking around after getting off the ship. Would love to visit a pub or two and have lunch. Not really interested in transportation to anywhere else. I always figure that I should see the local port first and not run off to some "famous" town just because we are near it or because people back home expect it of me. I'm looking for a pin for my hat, the DW wants a magnet for the frig and we both want a local brew and something to eat. Give us all that and we're happy.

Thanks for your tips - will rethink Blarney ...

We arrive at Noon and leave at 8pm, so it is not a long day really :(

Any idea's for a nice pub lunch (somewhere 'old' and 'village'

Coming from Oz I am in awe of anything over a hundred years old:D

For a nice pub lunch you definitely need to go to Kinsale - take a look at some of the options here:

http://kinsale.ie/category/places-to-eat-drink/pubs-bars-with-food/

For a secret hidden gem (don't tell anyone else - it's small!) that's more accessible by public transport, consider The Rising Tide in Glounthaune. http://www.therisingtide.ie/

High tide on May 10th is around 3pm (when the place looks at its best), so it will look well, with some nice photo opportunities, between about 1pm-5pm, so you're in luck there.

To get there from Cobh, take the train (beside your ship) to Glounthaune station, then it's about a 10 minute walk on the flat (except for the last 100 meters). The walk is along side a main road (but it's not that busy), with no real footpaths, so not very wheelchair friendly. It's really well worth the minimal effort involved. There's not much else to see in Glounthaune other than a pretty little church across the road, or some beautiful country walks - but the country walks are all uphill!

Once you're back at the train station you could then continue on into Cork itself (check out the Old English Market), or go back to Cobh, or on to Midleton for the Jameson Distillery Tour (http://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/ie/tours/jamesonexperience).

To get back to Cobh from Midleton you'll have to change trains at Glounthaune again, but it's a tiny 2 platform station (which are facing each other), and you'll only have to wait about 10 minutes.

Hello,

I will be in Waterford (Dunsmore East) from 8 AM to 6 PM off the Crystal Symphony. How far from Cork is Waterford ? :confused:

I will stay in Dublin for 1 week, post-cruise. How far is Cork from Dublin ? :confused:

Would I be better off to do Cork during my Dublin stay and see Waterford when we stop for that port ??? :confused:

Thank God for the IRISH.

Donna (my Mum was a Wallace) :D

Waterford to Cork is about a 90 minute drive, BUT unless someone is arranging car hire right in Dunmore these days, you'd have to get to Waterford first, then pick up a car or catch a bus from Waterford. You're talking 2-3 hours each way with some faffing about.

If I was you, I'd do the Cork trip from Dublin when you're under less pressure. You can get the train from Dublin to Cork in 2h30m, and the trains are comfortable, with free wifi. Book your train ticket over a week in advance for the best rates on http://www.irishrail.ie You get to book and reserve a specific seat at the same time. If you really want to face in a particular direction, when they show you the seat map, the left hand side of the train is always pointing to Cork, and the right hand side of your screen always points to Dublin (no matter which leg you're booking).

You want to select Dublin (Heuston) to Cork (Kent) on the website. If you book in advance (pick your tickets up at the train station), a return ticket for an adult is around €40.

Glad to see this thread. Any suggestions for just walking around after getting off the ship. Would love to visit a pub or two and have lunch. Not really interested in transportation to anywhere else. I always figure that I should see the local port first and not run off to some "famous" town just because we are near it or because people back home expect it of me. I'm looking for a pin for my hat, the DW wants a magnet for the frig and we both want a local brew and something to eat. Give us all that and we're happy.

You might get a pin and a magnet in the Queenstown Story (immediately in front of you when you get off the ship, in part of the railway station), but other than there I'm not that sure where else you'd find those kinds of things.

If you feel like a bit of a stroll when you disembark, and don't mind going up a lot of hills, here's where I'd go: route

Where A is on the map, there are steps up there to the bottom of Spy Hill. On your right as you head up that road you'll see the Bishop's Palace (with nice gardens) - you'll only be looking at them over the wall from outside). You can get great photos of the cathedral from his gateway :) Further up on the left is the old Sisters of Mercy convent - feel free to walk in through the carpark to see the building from the outside.

As you round the corner at the top of that road, you'll be at the top of West View - another good photo opportunity of the "Deck of cards" houses down across the harbour. Try not to get knocked down.

I have you turning right down to the Cathedral next, but there are a few pubs just to your left if you fancy a pint at the midway point. Not sure if any of those pubs do food.

Take some time to wander around St Colman's Cathedral (both inside and out - great views of the harbour from there).

The rest of the route will start bringing you down past houses, then some shops, then down to the main street of Cobh where you'll start seeing cafés, bistros, pubs and restaurants (and shops in general).

If you have the time/energy after that, and it's open, pop into the library. It's the building at the bottom of West View, and the road goes through it. It used be the old Courthouse, and was where the Lusitania victims were taken.

If the weather's nice, amble through "The Prom" (the promenade opposite the Commodore hotel), then back to the ship.

At this point you could pop into The Queenstown Story and gift shop. If you still want to do a bit more walking, head out the Low road as far as Whitepoint, then come back along The Watersedge. Google maps won't show the walking route - but on this map head along the Low Road (don't forget to look up at the High Road), turn left down to Whitepoint. At the bottom of the hill you'll see a narrow path between some black fancy railings, and some utilitarian grey railings. Go through there, and follow that path all the way back to your ship (it widens out and there are benches and shrubs along the route). If there's a hurricane blowing, don't do it (it's literally along the water's edge!).

Where A is on the map, there are steps up there to the bottom of Spy Hill. On your right as you head up that road you'll see the Bishop's Palace (with nice gardens) - you'll only be looking at them over the wall from outside). You can get great photos of the cathedral from his gateway :) Further up on the left is the old Sisters of Mercy convent - feel free to walk in through the carpark to see the building from the outside.

As you round the corner at the top of that road, you'll be at the top of West View - another good photo opportunity of the "Deck of cards" houses down across the harbour. Try not to get knocked down.

I have you turning right down to the Cathedral next, but there are a few pubs just to your left if you fancy a pint at the midway point. Not sure if any of those pubs do food.

Take some time to wander around St Colman's Cathedral (both inside and out - great views of the harbour from there).

The rest of the route will start bringing you down past houses, then some shops, then down to the main street of Cobh where you'll start seeing cafés, bistros, pubs and restaurants (and shops in general).

If you have the time/energy after that, and it's open, pop into the library. It's the building at the bottom of West View, and the road goes through it. It used be the old Courthouse, and was where the Lusitania victims were taken.

If the weather's nice, amble through "The Prom" (the promenade opposite the Commodore hotel), then back to the ship.

At this point you could pop into The Queenstown Story and gift shop. If you still want to do a bit more walking, head out the Low road as far as Whitepoint, then come back along The Watersedge. Google maps won't show the walking route - but on this map head along the Low Road (don't forget to look up at the High Road), turn left down to Whitepoint. At the bottom of the hill you'll see a narrow path between some black fancy railings, and some utilitarian grey railings. Go through there, and follow that path all the way back to your ship (it widens out and there are benches and shrubs along the route). If there's a hurricane blowing, don't do it (it's literally along the water's edge!).

I am not the original questioner--but, this looks like an interesting walk. I looked at the Google map you posted. It looks like it is just a little over a mile for the total route and it says 25 minutes. I am sure that is a brisk walk.

If I take a tour and then walk back from the cathedral [it appears to be the last stop] How long do you think it would take me to get back to the ship. 10 or 15 minutes?

I am thinking about taking one of the eCoach tours to Blarney. I am not interested in kissing the stone but, I think I will enjoy the castle and garden. I will likely peek into the Woolen mill. But, their online prices looked higher than I usually spend on souvenirs for friends and family.

You might get a pin and a magnet in the Queenstown Story (immediately in front of you when you get off the ship, in part of the railway station), but other than there I'm not that sure where else you'd find those kinds of things.

If you feel like a bit of a stroll when you disembark, and don't mind going up a lot of hills, here's where I'd go: route

Thank you. I've printed out your route and will take it with us.

I am not the original questioner--but, this looks like an interesting walk. I looked at the Google map you posted. It looks like it is just a little over a mile for the total route and it says 25 minutes. I am sure that is a brisk walk.

If I take a tour and then walk back from the cathedral [it appears to be the last stop] How long do you think it would take me to get back to the ship. 10 or 15 minutes?

I am thinking about taking one of the eCoach tours to Blarney. I am not interested in kissing the stone but, I think I will enjoy the castle and garden. I will likely peek into the Woolen mill. But, their online prices looked higher than I usually spend on souvenirs for friends and family.

I'd put the total walk closer to an hour at least, depending on how many photos you stop to take, how much browsing you do past the shops and bearing in mind that it's hilly :)

From the Cathedral to the ship, straight line (not the more scenic route I showed) is about 750 yards, down steps, a hill, and then along the flat. I'd give myself 10-15 minutes (to account for negotiating the steps and the steep bit of the hill). If you come down the steps at the side of the cathedral (left in the google image), you'll see an entrance to a set of steps across the road (just behind the no parking sign). Going down those brings you sideways onto a hill, then straight down into one of the squares.

It's not a pretty path, and not the way I'd choose normally, but if you're actually in a rush it's the fastest.

If you follow the route I showed, I'd allow 20-25 minutes. It's not terribly far, but that's to allow for crowded footpaths (with the ship in) and not spraining an ankle.

The third option is to head down the way my map initially showed, but take the first right (which doubles back on itself) instead of the second (Rahilly Street) - that also brings you down into Pearse Square. I'd allow 15-20 for that route.

That's all at a pretty relaxed pace - if you're a speed walking champion, it might take you a lot less.

The secret tip for Cobh is always to look out for steps - firstly so that you don't fall over/down them, but secondly they're often a shortcut to somewhere or other :) You'll see a set at the bottom of Spy Hill that go on for ever up to the Lake Road. If there's a gate on them (even if it's open), they probably just lead to someone's house though!

Edited by Thoie

I'd put the total walk closer to an hour at least, depending on how many photos you stop to take, how much browsing you do past the shops and bearing in mind that it's hilly :)

From the Cathedral to the ship, straight line (not the more scenic route I showed) is about 750 yards, down steps, a hill, and then along the flat. I'd give myself 10-15 minutes (to account for negotiating the steps and the steep bit of the hill). If you come down the steps at the side of the cathedral (left in the google image), you'll see an entrance to a set of steps across the road (just behind the no parking sign). Going down those brings you sideways onto a hill, then straight down into one of the squares.

It's not a pretty path, and not the way I'd choose normally, but if you're actually in a rush it's the fastest.

If you follow the route I showed, I'd allow 20-25 minutes. It's not terribly far, but that's to allow for crowded footpaths (with the ship in) and not spraining an ankle.

The third option is to head down the way my map initially showed, but take the first right (which doubles back on itself) instead of the second (Rahilly Street) - that also brings you down into Pearse Square. I'd allow 15-20 for that route.

That's all at a pretty relaxed pace - if you're a speed walking champion, it might take you a lot less.

The secret tip for Cobh is always to look out for steps -!

Thank you for explaining each option. I will not know how much time I have until I get there. :D But, this gives me options.

Our ship is arriving in Cork. So does anyone know how far downtown Cork is to the cruise terminal?

Up to 15 miles :)

It depends on where you're docking. If you're docking in Cobh, then it's about 15 miles from Cobh to Cork by road (30 minutes) or 25 minutes by train (the train station is right beside the pier, and leaves you out about 10 minutes from Patrick's St.).

If you're docking in Ringaskiddy, it's about 20 minutes by road into Cork. The local bus between there and Cork city takes a circuitous route, and could take up to an hour. If you're stopping in Ringaskiddy, I'd suggest taking a taxi, or whatever the ship might have arranged. At a really, really rough guess, I'd say a taxi might be about €30 each way, but I could easily be out by €10 in either direction.

The main shopping area of Cork is Patrick's Street, with all the main shopping being there, or within one or two parallel streets - it's nicely compact.