Snorkeling excursions that do not include sting ray city.

hsmcruise

Some of the best snorkeling I've seen is at Eden Rock, within walking distance of the tender pier. No excursion necessary. With your back to the water turn right and walk for 10 minutes. The first building you come to is the Paradise restaurant (blue roof) which rents snorkel gear but bypass that and head to the Eden Rock dive center about 2 minutes further. Ask the guys there to point out where the reef is. There will be snorkeling along the shore which is so-so and the really good snorkeling will be over the reef which is about 50 to 100 yards offshore, and marked by buoys, but not difficult to swim if you're wearing fins.

Here are some photos I made a few years back to show where the reef is:

This view from the Eden Rock Dive Center shows the locations of the Buoys marking the reef.  The reef is about 100 yards from shore so to see the best snorkeling it is a must to swim out a bit.  Ask the guys in the dive shop to point out the buoys for you and tell you where the best snorkeling is.

Edited by Lsimon

I have been researching this as well as we have done stingray city several times.

We just want to stop at a couple snorkel spots and also visit rum point but it seems impossible to do with any scheduled tours. Everyone stops at stingray city and almost no one goes to rum point. The only exception I have found is chartering your own boat.

If you find anything, please post on here:).

Edited by WNcruiser

The reef off of cemetery beach is about the same distance from shore as the reef off of eden rock but is much nicer. Getting out there should be no problem, especially if you have flippers. You get the added bonus of a nice quiet beach as well. Only downside of cemetery beach is no restrooms.

We are looking at Ocean Frontiers on the East End. They have a Wed. only 3 reef snorkel. This would involve a taxi about 30-40 min ride. Like you we are disappointed in the areas that are usually part of snorkel tours on the West end, aka Stingray City.

We have snorkeled off the beach at Eden Rock and it is very easy, but not great sightings of coral or fish.

Edited by jconeil
need to add info

We are looking at Ocean Frontiers on the East End. They have a Wed. only 3 reef snorkel. This would involve a taxi about 30-40 min ride. Like you we are disappointed in the areas that are usually part of snorkel tours on the West end, aka Stingray City.

We have snorkeled off the beach at Eden Rock and it is very easy, but not great sightings of coral or fish.

We've seen some fantastic fish and nice coral, but different from what is in the sound. But you do have to swim out to different areas of the reef - around 100 yards from shore, and it helps to get some info on where to go from the dive shop.

• 3 weeks later...
The reef off of cemetery beach is about the same distance from shore as the reef off of eden rock but is much nicer. Getting out there should be no problem, especially if you have flippers. You get the added bonus of a nice quiet beach as well. Only downside of cemetery beach is no restrooms.

Is there anywhere at Cemetary beach to rent snorkle gear?

• 3 months later...

any clue how much a taxi would be to the east end for the ocean frontier snorkel? We are staying on 7MB in june but really want to do this snorkel. we plan on sticking with the bus for other transportation but its a long way to east end….maybe we can rent a car for the day? Anyone drive it?

any clue how much a taxi would be to the east end for the ocean frontier snorkel? We are staying on 7MB in june but really want to do this snorkel. we plan on sticking with the bus for other transportation but its a long way to east end….maybe we can rent a car for the day? Anyone drive it?

Well this is dated information but: Around 20 years ago we stayed on the Island for a few days. We rented a car right at our hotel for a couple days and drove all the way to the east side of the island and around up to Rum Point and back. I'm guessing that the distance you're talking about you'd be wanting to either rent a car or arrange a private car or taxi at a day rate. This would be something you can Google car services for ahead of time or contact your hotel for suggestions. Or if the snorkel you're looking at is organized then call the company for suggestions.

To Ocean Frontiers is, I'd guess, about 45 minutes or so and $80-100 US each way from the Seven Mile Beach area by taxi. You would absolutely need a rental car for the day.

Personally, there are lots of good dive companies along SMB, or even in West Bay, that can take you to great spots a lot more conveniently. We've dealt with Red Sail a lot for dives and had good experiences, so I'm sure they'd do a great snorkel excursion too. http://www.redsailcayman.com Your hotel should also have a company they deal with, or check out the tourist books available in the baggage claim area at the airport.

The other good (and more convenient) option for snorkelling is the Kittiwake.

http://www.dive365cayman.com/kittiwake-cayman

Thanks! My husband says he doesn't feel good about a rental car. I'm gonna check this stuff out!!

If he doesn't want to deal with a rental car, then definitely go with a dive company that's closer to your hotel. There are lots and lots of companies way closer than East End.