Paradise Beach or Nachi for my family?

Catrin

Hello everyone,

This is our fifth time visiting Cozumel.... my favorite port!

The last three times, we visited Paradise Beach (2003, 2004 and 2008). I know they have made some significant changes including a pool. Our first two times visiting there, everything was free! The last time there, my husband wasn't thrilled - the beach is very rocky and it was very crowded.

We want to consider going to Nachi Cocum instead. But, I wonder if my kids will be bored without any fun toys. My boys are 16 and almost 13, and my daughter is 6.

It would cost approx $200 for our family for the day at Nachi. Benefits are privacy, beautiful beach, all inclusive, etc.

Paradise Beach would cost $10 for Beach Chairs, $12 each for the Toys, and then any food and drink during the day. Benefits are the toys and activity.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Catrin

We love Nachi when it is only the two of us. Relaxing awesome day being pampered. Well worth the $49 a day price.

When we take our kids, we go to Playa Mia, where they have all the toys. Many kids brought to Nachi look longingly down the beach to Playa Mia where they see the neet trampolines and climbing toys in the distance.

I just love Paradise Beach! We were there in January. Yes, I think water toys are now $12, and a beach chair is $2. But he drinks are reasonable, and the food tasty. I think you get a good value there.

I'm not a fan of all-inclusives, because I'm a vegetarian, so can't eat much of the buffet, and don't really drink a lot.

We love Nachi when it is only the two of us. Relaxing awesome day being pampered. Well worth the $49 a day price.

When we take our kids, we go to Playa Mia, where they have all the toys. Many kids brought to Nachi look longingly down the beach to Playa Mia where they see the neet trampolines and climbing toys in the distance.

Was at Paradise Beach lastweek. $2.00 for chair and umbrella. They ask you to spend at least $10.00 per person minimum on drinks , food. Beers were $4.00. So $10.00 isnt that hard to do. 2 of us spent a total of $34.00. It doesnt look like anybody is really checking to make sure you spend the $10.00 or check wristbands to see if you paid extra for the inflatables. Went to lunch in Downtown Cozumel.

we just spent the day at Chankanaab when we were there in march.. snorkeling ( you can rent..but maybe rent cheaper from the ship instead?)..the most amazing I've ever seen.. admission was $19 per person, and we purchased $5 margaritas and a $9 plate of tostadas...there was a swimming beach if you didn't want to snorkel, and you could walk around the grounds, or watch the sea lion show, or the manatees...

we just spent the day at Chankanaab when we were there in march.. snorkeling ( you can rent..but maybe rent cheaper from the ship instead?)..the most amazing I've ever seen.. admission was $19 per person, and we purchased $5 margaritas and a $9 plate of tostadas...there was a swimming beach if you didn't want to snorkel, and you could walk around the grounds, or watch the sea lion show, or the manatees...

I agree..Chankanaab is great for families..Nachi is more for couples..:)

I've been to Playa Mia, Chankanaab, & Paradise Beach. All 3 are great for families and the young at heart. Playa Mia is very expensive going through the ship. You get more fun for less money by going to Paradise Beach on your own. They have more water toys. Nachi is definitely for people looking for something quiet and relaxing, which doesn't usually appeal to kids.

When we went to Paradise Beach, we had over 14000 people and 5 ships in port. Despite that huge load, the beach wasn't very crowded. There were plenty of people, but there were plenty of open chairs and never too many people on the water toys. And they were not asking people to purchase $10 worth of food/drinks when we were there. When they started charging $2 for the beach chairs, they were supposed to stop "requiring" that, but that may have changed. We didn't buy anything--plenty of food on the ship. There was a worker paddling around the water toys the whole time, making sure people had the proper wristband on. Plus, he was also there as a lifeguard.

As another poster mentioned, Chankanaab has nice snorkeling right off the rocky shoreline. The sea lion show is always entertaining. There's plenty to do and see there. Admission is somewhere around $20pp.

Nachi is great for adults....but that $200 for your family won't get them any water toys or activities other than the pool.

To keep the kids active (ie happy)... I would go to Paradise Beach and save Nachi for when it is just the 2 of you.

We've been to both. Loved Nachi when it ws just the two of us! I agree with the others that it while it is the perfect spot for couples, your kids may want more entertainment. We only saw 2 kids there when we went, but then again, there were only about 30 people total. We went to Paradise Beach in February with our 2 young kids. It was a great pool for them. But I'll probably never go there again. It was super crowded (4-5 ships in port) and service was terrible. I was told I had to order $10 per person, which I was ready to do. I asked for a menu and ordered some drinks and 45 minutes later, I was still sitting there empty handed, watching the guy seek out new orders for a beer here and there and give those back before ever bringing my beer. And then he came and yelled at me because "You're supposed to order $10 per person!" It ws ridiculous. Several people were complaining about the poor and very slow service. I'd like to try Chakanaab or Playa Mia next time.

I would also vote for Chankanaab or Paradise with kids...more for them to do and more kids around to hang out with. Nachi is definitely more of a quiet adult beach (and if it isn't quiet, it may not be the type of activities you want the kids seeing anyway:eek::p)!

We were just a Nachi Cocum on April 8th with our 5 year old. He had a great time, swimming, getting 'grown up' drinks (virgin of course), snorkeling and building sandcastles with other kids there on the beach. It wasn't crowded like the others and he didn't even notice the waterpark down the way.

He did however want to take a camel ride (yes camels). Also note that the snorkelling is not great at Nachi but if you swim out over the sea grass all the way out to the buoys, you will see quite a bit of fish in about 20 to 25 foot depths.

It provided us a very laid back and relaxing time while he enjoyed himself on the beach. I know that they are not going for the 'party' atmosphere at Nachi but I do wish they would have some sort of music.....

I've been to Playa Mia, Chankanaab, & Paradise Beach. All 3 are great for families and the young at heart. Playa Mia is very expensive going through the ship. You get more fun for less money by going to Paradise Beach on your own. They have more water toys. Nachi is definitely for people looking for something quiet and relaxing, which doesn't usually appeal to kids.

When we went to Paradise Beach, we had over 14000 people and 5 ships in port. Despite that huge load, the beach wasn't very crowded. There were plenty of people, but there were plenty of open chairs and never too many people on the water toys. And they were not asking people to purchase $10 worth of food/drinks when we were there. When they started charging $2 for the beach chairs, they were supposed to stop "requiring" that, but that may have changed. We didn't buy anything--plenty of food on the ship. There was a worker paddling around the water toys the whole time, making sure people had the proper wristband on. Plus, he was also there as a lifeguard.

As another poster mentioned, Chankanaab has nice snorkeling right off the rocky shoreline. The sea lion show is always entertaining. There's plenty to do and see there. Admission is somewhere around $20pp.

any idea how much Playa Mia is if you book on your own? Assuming you can?

It provided us a very laid back and relaxing time while he enjoyed himself on the beach. I know that they are not going for the 'party' atmosphere at Nachi but I do wish they would have some sort of music.....

That is the best part of Nachi is sitting under your private palapa, sipping your beverage of choice and listening to the sound of the ocean lapping on the sandy shore.

I pray they never add a hokey caribbean band.

Get enough of that back on the ship.

Bill

That is the best part of Nachi is sitting under your private palapa, sipping your beverage of choice and listening to the sound of the ocean lapping on the sandy shore.

I pray they never add a hokey caribbean band.

Get enough of that back on the ship.

Bill

Ditto

- the beach is very rocky and it was very crowded.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Catrin

The beach conditions at Paradise Beach will be similar to Nachi...Nachi Cocum is not far 'down the road' from PB. You can see PB from Nachi.

I agree with the others that Nachi doesn't have the amenities that kids would enjoy....but that depends on what your kids enjoy. Some are content to play in the ocean or pool without any 'frills'....if your kids liked the toys at PB, they may be disappointed with Nachi.

They do offer jetskiing, snorkeling, parasailing and massages at Nachi for an additional cost.

The biggest difference at Nachi (besides it being all-inclusive) is that it is never crowded. They stop taking reservations at 100 guests and of the 5 times I have been there, there were never more than 40 people, max.

I love Nachi!!! Don't get me wrong I love kids too, grandmother of three here:D, but I have to say I picked Nachi because of the no water toys and figure it would not be a lot of kids and don't remember seeing any either. So your younger kids may get a little bored with Nachi even though it was simply wonderful. Just my 2 cents;)

I was at Paradise Beach on friday and it was very good. The beach did get somewhat crowded and was somewhat rocky and some seaweed. The pool to me was what was best. Laying on the lounge in the pool was awesome. Food for lunch wasnt bad and were big portions. Was to me about 20-30 minutes after we ordered. Would recommend.

I love Nachi!!! Don't get me wrong I love kids too, grandmother of three here:D, but I have to say I picked Nachi because of the no water toys and figure it would not be a lot of kids and don't remember seeing any either. So your younger kids may get a little bored with Nachi even though it was simply wonderful. Just my 2 cents;)

I concur:D:D

We are fans of Nachi, but just returned from a cruise with the grandkids where we went to Paradise Beach so they could have a more "family friendly" time. Our grandkids are 9 and 12 and loved Paradise Beach. Their favorites things were playing on the beach and in the water, the free trampoline on the beach (not in the water) and the POOL! The pool there is awesome and great for kids of all ages, especially if you have smaller ones just learning to swim. The steps into the pool are tiered ledges, so there is plenty of room to play with kids who aren't yet ready for deeper water. And then the pool itself is only about 3.5 feet deep, so it's easy to just enjoy and play in the water.

As someone else mentioned, the food was delicious.

Having said all that, I give this heads-up... we paid $12 for 3 in our group (the 2 kids and their dad) so that they could play on the large water jump toys in the water. This was kind of a waste of money because it takes a lot of strength to master climbing aboard those huge floats. My son-in-law spent all his time hoisting kids (his and others!). So if you choose Paradise Beach (or any other beach based on those huge jumping floats), read other reviews and make sure you'll get your money's worth out of the $12 bracelet. For the rest of us, it was $2 for a lounger (lots of shady options) plus a $10 food/drink minimum per person (very easy to meet if there are a few adult beverages in the mix lol).

Archived