Best value luxury cruise line?

Funtone40

Hi all, has anyone done the math? I there a best value luxury line? free flights? alcohol included? shore excursions? I am wondering if it is worth it to pay for everything up front or choose to pay only for what you want. Lets say, a cruise in Asia with expensive flights and that tantalizing business upgrade...please help me with the confusion! I have been on Hal , Princess , RC and recently Crystal. Up up and away! Is it worth it to go to Regent or should we try Oceania... We are not near a gateway airport, so we will pay for the flight to say Newark or JFK...???:confused:thank you!!!!

You really need to evaluate what is most important to you. As you probably know, Regent and Oceania are sister cruise lines. One is luxury (Regent) and Oceania is premium plus. We sail on Regent 99% of the time but have done one Oceania cruise with one coming up next month. We prefer Regent because we appreciate all-inclusivity. We do feel more nickled and dimed on Oceania but the fares are less money (for smaller suites).

One thing to consider between the two cruise lines is airfare. If you do not depart from a gateway city, you will pay extra $$$ on either cruise line. However, upgrades to Business Class is much less expensive on Regent than it is on Oceania. Regent has two all-suite ships with balconies. Their third ship has mostly balconies. The suite size is considerably larger than Oceania staterooms. Oceania has inside cabins on some of their ships while Regent does not.

The only reason we are sailing on Oceania next month is because the Caribbean is particularly inexpensive so we will be in a very large suite. However, unless you get a "special", you have to pay $60/person per day for alcoholic drinks plus tips, etc. This needs to be considered in the cruise cost.

If you are considering these two cruise lines, suggest you go to their board and search for threads "Regent vs. Oceania" (or visa versa). There is tons of information available.

You will have a wonderful cruise on either cruise line. It just depends upon what you consider to be most important for your cruise.

It will depend on what is important to you

It is a personal choice

Do you want everything taken care of ?

Does it bother you to sign for drinks or would you just like to order what you want & not worry about the bill at the end?

Do you want excursions included or pay as you go?

While Oceania is not a Luxury line as per some people it ticks the boxes for us

I have not done a price comparison as the lux lines with all inclusive pricing is not for us ..it may or may not work out cheaper in the long run

We cruise Oceania ...we do not drink much so we just pay as we go

we prefer private tours or just wandering on our own so no need for included big bus excursions, our TA includes Gratuities so we do not worry about those extras

We usually use O air with the deviation fee ..it works for us

They will charge extra for the included air if you want to fly from your local airport that is not one of their Gateways

Our friends fly from YYC & I think it was an extra $199. pp not sure if this varies by location or not

I would say the Luxury lines & the Premium line off a better experience ..well maybe not better but calmer one ;)

Good luck in choose the cruise for you

I am unconvinced of the actual value of the "air far included" benefit. I prefer to make my own arrangements to ensure biz or first class travel on non-stops when possible and I want to select our seats rather than have them assigned. Yes, with Regent I can get a rebate but it's only $350 PP.

I'm likewise leery of the "included" pre-voyage hotel. For our upcoming Jan. voyage that hotel is the Hyatt Regency in Coral Gables which is not my cuppa tea so, again I'm receiving a fractional rebate and have made my own arrangements at the Four Seasons Miami. Plus it's more comfortable to make our own way to the port for embarkation so we need not wait around in a crowd whilst luggage is loaded and passengers check in and so forth on the other end.

Long-winded way so saying some included benefits don't mean much to me. What I do care about very much is having a large, comfortable suite with goodly-sized deck. Will,pay top dollar for that. And, I'm hoping the service on Regent is attentive, prompt and kindly.

Edited by OctoberKat

As has been said, the best value will depend on what YOU value -- both it real goods (i.e. food, drink, etc) and in experiences (service, furnishings, etc). And, if you travel solo, the single supplement, which is routinely much lower on Crystal than any other line (excepting sales).

Is making your own flight arrangements important to you (it is to me - I want to choose not just the routing, but the plane)? Do you like the inclusive feeling of not needing to sign for what you do/consume, or is it not a big deal to you to sign for every drink or at the end of each meal? Do you enjoy the ship's excursions and don't want to plan a port stop, or are you a DIY traveler who likes the planning and wants to do their own thing in ports?

I highly value the inclusive feel of not having to sign for things I choose to eat/drink/try - to me, that's a huge part of a luxurious experience. I also love the lack of sales pitches that come with an inclusive cruise; it changes the atmosphere and makes for a more calm and "away from it all" feeling for me.

I do the math on ever cruise we are looking at and Regent works for us in more exotic places where we can rely on them to take good care of us. We like Regent for the size of their suites, the included alcohol, excursions, reasonable upgrades to business class and great service. We used them for a cruise in Asia firstly because of the itinerary, then for the reasonable business class airfare and then all the other included items. We don't have many ff points so having access to business class air is important to us. We are also not in a gateway city and use what ff points we have to get to the nearest gateway city.

We have had very good luck with included excursions and don't mind small bus tours. We have also done a few of the paid excursions. The pre and post land packages are good value and take advantage of them whenever available.

We enjoy a drink before dinner, wine with dinner and maybe a drink after and love the convenience of the all-inclusive experience.

In less than a month we leave for our next Regent cruise of 30 days.

When I include everything that we take advantage of and compare equivalent cabin size , Regent has worked out to be a better deal. We care about the size of suite we sail in and would never sail in an inside cabin or one without a balcony or that was too small.

Good luck with your search for the right cruise for you.

The main thing to remember is that the word "included" is deceptive. When they include something they raise the fare in order to compensate for it. You are paying one way or the other. If you are worried about paying for something that is included and that you may not care about you shouldn't be looking at luxury lines since they all include at least alcohol and gratuities.

The main thing to remember is that the word "included" is deceptive. When they include something they raise the fare in order to compensate for it. You are paying one way or the other. If you are worried about paying for something that is included and that you may not care about you shouldn't be looking at luxury lines since they all include at least alcohol and gratuities.

That's not deceptive, that's what "included" means (i.e. included in the fare). What would be deceptive is if they said something was "free".

Ditto re what others said re it depending on what matters most to you.

If you value larger suites with big closets and a balcony in most of even the lowest-priced cabins, Regent is a good deal.

If you value included alcohol, Regent, Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal are good deals. I would add that there's also the intangible of the impact of the inclusive policy on sociability. I sailed Regent both before and after it went inclusive on alcohol, and the improvement in the atmosphere in the lounges is palpable. And, no, it's not because everyone is buzzed. It's because they come to the lounges more and mix with one another more readily because there is no awkwardness about who is picking up the tab.

If you value not having to worry about excursions and paying for them as you go, Regent is it. Personally, for me, the inclusion of the excursions has pushed me away from Regent because, except in ports where timing can be tight, I usually prefer to make my own arrangements in ports. But others really do like to do ship excursions, and if that's you, you are probably ahead a bit with going inclusive on this.

For air inclusion, it depends not so much on the line but on the specific cruise. I've seen good deals on air and lousy deals on air from all of the cruise lines. And, even if they claim to be included, you can get a credit if you decline their air. Sometimes the credit is more than what you'd pay on your own, sometimes less. It always pays to shop.

Same with hotels pre or post cruise. Though, other than Papeete, I've invariably found the cruise line's hotel to be priced somewhere in the neighborhood of insane.

As to included tips, it depends on whether you are one of those people who absolutely must tip even if you're told it's included. If that's you, there's no benefit to included tips. I do have to say, though, that I've always found the service to be better on the no-tipping lines. Makes you wonder....

Just a couple of comments

we never feel any awkwardness on Oceania to who is paying the bar bill or if people at the table order a bottle of wine & do not share

I think most people understand the rules ;)

We have a great TA who includes Gratuities but do not find the service suffers because gratuities are not included in the fare

Everyone should weigh their options then pick a cruise based on their wants & needs

It is nice we all have so many choices

Lyn

Thanks so much for all the great information. So many things to think about!

I am such a chicken when it comes to planning our own shore excursions. We only hop a cab and go, in the Caribbean or go on foot when attractions are close.

I was pleasantly surprised with the service on Crystal as our first "luxury" cruise line experience. I do not believe in 10 cruises where one would sun by the pool, that I have ever before been asked if I would like a lounge chair brought for me!

My husband does not drink, so the expense is lost on him. I am pretty sure I would not drink thousand of dollars in alcohol...it just felt nice not to have to think about it.

We always get balcony cabins. Haven't sprung for a suite yet!

I have not flown business because of the excessive cost, but after a few bad experiences in economy, I am a bit afraid to go it again!

I guess it still comes down to picking a time and a destination and comparing the tallies.

Thanks again. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated!

We will upgrade to Business class at check in on some flights ..it is worth the extra $$

We are not drinkers either so that is why we prefer Oceania ... you get a feeling of luxury ( though I am not sure what that means)

but they do treat you well ....the pool staff will even get you water if you ask not on main stream lines ;)

We usually book a lower end cabin but are treated just like anyone else on the ship

As for excursions it depends on where you go ..if Europe you can DIY in some place but join the Roll Call for your cruise & share private tours with others this I find is nicer than being in a crowd on a bus

When I do the tours I limit them to under 12 people usually less if the cost savings are good

this way you get to see what YOU want & not having to wait for 30+ people ;)

It is not for everyone but it is an option

Hope you find a line that suits your needs/wants

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

That's not deceptive, that's what "included" means (i.e. included in the fare). What would be deceptive is if they said something was "free".

Maybe deceptive was the wrong word here. Confusing perhaps. Unfortunately many people confuse included with free.

I believe it means different things to different people --- that's what makes questions like this one so difficult.

True

Having someone cook my meals & do the dishes, clean my room, make my bed is luxury to me :)

Edited by LHT28

This all varies not only by how much you value what is included but can vary by how much you use the included items.

I have known some people who have said that they found sailing on a luxury line to be a better financial deal for a similar cruise on a mass market or premium line based on adding in all of their add on costs that they normally pay for. For others, they have said financially it was more expensive.

In the end, the key is to do the research and then figure out what is important to you.

For me, I don't sail luxury lines because I think there is better financial value. I do so because of the subjective differences that mean a lot to us.

But again, why someone selects a cruise line varies by person.

Keith

I agree that Regent ships feel very sociable, and that's partly because drinks are included I think. I don't drink much any more, but I would still prefer inclusive for that reason.

Regent does have great deals sometimes on Business Class air, especially to Europ, but have a close look, sometimes for places like Asia those prices are still pretty pricey.

We have had good luck with Premium Economy in the last couple of years. We've flown in that class to Europe a couple of times, and to Asia as well, and found it not a bad compromise for people like us who really just can't justify the expense of Business. Oceania often will offer a Premium Economy upgrade price, or you can "deviate", pay a small fee, and have them find you the PE flight that you want, and the upgrade price likely will be fairly modest.

As for excursions, the Oceania roll-calls are usually very active, and there are usually folks who like organizing private excursions, and enlisting fellow pax to join them. This works out very well most of the time. We only did one of these on our single Oceania cruise (another one that I organized got cancelled because of a route change), and it was wonderful.