Crown Bay to Sapphire Beach on Safari Bus

Shazambilo

I'm looking for directions on getting from Crown Bay to Sapphire Beach on the $2 safari bus. I've searched and searched and I can't find any directions. I'm sailing on the Oasis of the Seas this weekend. I've been to Sapphire from the other pier, but not from Crown Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

All posts on the Safari bus are old. We were just in Crown Bay and you have very little option on local transportation. It's all about = making $$. It would be a long walk into town.

From what I have read the safari's are independent unregulated and have no set fee or route. I would recommend calling VITRAN, some resorts and the hospital -it appears that they have public runs in those areas. The hospital is very close the Havensight pier.

Here is the #

The buses that Vitran uses now are more island sized and powered which seem to work quite well on our hills. The bus service runs from the Cruz Bay ferry dock on the western end of the island along Center Line Road to Salt Pond in Coral Bay on the eastern end of the island. All for $1 (kids and seniors fare is even less)! Not bad, as long as you are not in a hurry.

Word has it that the buses run from Cruz Bay leaving at 6 AM, 7 AM, and then 25 minutes pass the hour until 7:25 PM and from Salt Pond Bay, the bus leaves at 5 AM, 6 AM, 7AM, 8 AM and then 10 minutes after the hour until 8:10 PM; however, if you are on a schedule it is best to call Vitran 340 774-0165.

2009 comments:

The safari bus is an EXCELLENT way to get around if you want to save some money and their are just the two of you. They do not run after dark. There are really two routes. There is the one that does from Tutu and goes clock wise through Smith Bay, Red Hook and Bavoni and then back to Tutu. There is another route that goes from TuTu to town for $2. Some times they do both routes so you need to ask.

In a recent decision by the Taxi board they are not allowing any more Safari Taxi permits. They state safety as their main concern. The truth, in my mind, is that they want them off the street just like they are doing with the Pirate boats to Havensite from Town. They want it all to them selves. The number of permits for the Safari buses will stay the same. So this is a long term migration to get them out and to use the bus service. But I believe that the safari bus is a great way of transporting people at a minimum cost and it keeps the business in the peoples hands, not the government.

• 1 month later...

I concur with the poster above. In Dec. 2014 we took the VITRAN open air bus from Havensight to the St. John Ferry Terminal (Red Hook). We walked to the Hospital to catch it, where there is a very clearly marked bus shelter. We were told they won't just "stop anywhere" to pick you up anymore, so you are best going to a marked stop.

You can use Google Earth to show you the route from the terminal to the Hospital (near the KMart). It's a pretty easy 10 min. walk on busy streets with sidewalks...very safe.

The driver was very nice and helped us transfer to another bus. It was $2/pp and we only had to pay once when we got off at the ferry. The only hiccup was not knowing where the ferry terminal was and we weren't sitting on the side to see where we were stopping. So, make sure the driver knows where you are going, or a local rider can help you out. We almost missed our stop.

• 1 year later...

The St John VITRAN bus serves residents who live in Coral Bay and need to get to Cruz Bay during the day. The busses are small, the ride is rough, and VITRAN is unreliable. Route is not very scenic because bus goes too fast to appreciate the views.

I hate taking that bus when I go to St John. It's like being on a roller coaster with no safety bar. It works for residents and some snowbirds, but not recommended for cruise guests.