Upgrade question - is this nuts??

Elann

I have a question. I booked my cruise in Oct 2011 through a timeshare. We get a balcony state room but I was interested in upgrading to a mini-suite. For the date we purchased, a balcony is $1929 and a mini-suite is $2069. When I called to see how much it costs to upgrade - I was shocked when I was told that it was $1974!!! I feel it is crazy that we would be charged more than the cost of one person on a balcony for what should be a lot less. Does this sound right to you?

when I call to upgrade, NCL expects me to pay the difference between the current cost of the proposed upgraded cabin minus the cost of my old booking...I have never used a timeshare booking, but I think you need to know the cost of your cabin to the timeshare when you booked in 2011. the current price of your balcony has no bearing, just the cost on your booking from 2011.

It was the same as now.

I, too, wonder if the issue goes back to the timeshare. Can you be sure how much the timeshare company paid for your balcony cabin? Might they have gotten a discount on the balcony cabin? If so, maybe that is why you are getting a large upgrade quote. Is the timeshare company now acting like a go-between or agent, such that you must call them rather than NCL for service on the reservation?

Using Time shares and hotel points are both similar. Both can help you get on the boat but you are at Carnival's mercy for any potential upgrades. I did something similar in 2007 with Marriott Rewards points. 200K points or there abouts for a nice Ocean View room on the highest deck. I tried to upgrade to a balcony and they tried the same tactic wanting another $1,800 for the upgrade ($900 each person they said). I tried to play hard ball and told them no thanks but call me back if you would take $300. I didn't hear so I tried again a few weeks before the sailing and they were essentially sold out so they said, sorry.

One note: They only allow a very limited number of cabins to be bought using either time share or hotel reward points so you HAVE to book those early anytime you do one of those types of transactions. Good luck but it won't be easy to get a "reasonable" upgrade.

One note: They only allow a very limited number of cabins to be bought using either time share or hotel reward points so you HAVE to book those early anytime you do one of those types of transactions. Good luck but it won't be easy to get a "reasonable" upgrade.

Believe me, whe we decided to try to book it, I was on the internet 12 times a day and calling my timeshare 4-5 times a day! I just happened to luck into it and the moment I booked it - the cruises were gone!

Yes call again... Each PCC is different.

If you are not getting anywhere ask for a supervisor, they can make more happen.

If you used your time share, you booked through a TA. NCL will refer you to your TA about price if you booked with your timeshare.

Every PCC is different, true, but that has nothing to do with the price.

You're really not missing out on much by having a balcony instead of a mini suite. There are no extra "perks", just a bit more room and a tub in the bathroom instead of just a shower. You'll enjoy your cruise just as much in the balcony cabin.

You're really not missing out on much by having a balcony instead of a mini suite. There are no extra "perks", just a bit more room and a tub in the bathroom instead of just a shower. You'll enjoy your cruise just as much in the balcony cabin.

Yes there is very little difference between the balcony cabins and mini-sutes. And IMO, unless I needed a tub, I much prefer the location of the balcony cabins since I believe the mini-suites are all on deck 11 on the pearl. Which puts them under the pool deck, which could be noisier.

I've had sort of a similar situation. This is several years ago but I had booked a Courtyard Villa with my old Mastercard reward points. (What a good deal that was!!......ah the good old days!)

So then I get called a few weeks before the cruise by NCL to upsell me to the Garden Villa. Well I was really excited about that!! The PCC tells me what the price will be to upsell and it was $9000!! 9k extra to upsell from my Courtyard Villa to a Garden villa?! OMG, I know it's a lovely suite and all but I thought an upsell was supposed to be somewhat of a deal. Well it turns out that because I booked originally with my Mastercard Points they counted that as almost nothing towards the actual price for the new upsell cabin. Why they thought I would bite at that is nuts! I imagine the same sort of thing happened when you booked using your timeshare points.

I've had sort of a similar situation. This is several years ago but I had booked a Courtyard Villa with my old Mastercard reward points. (What a good deal that was!!......ah the good old days!)

So then I get called a few weeks before the cruise by NCL to upsell me to the Garden Villa. Well I was really excited about that!! The PCC tells me what the price will be to upsell and it was $9000!! 9k extra to upsell from my Courtyard Villa to a Garden villa?! OMG, I know it's a lovely suite and all but I thought an upsell was supposed to be somewhat of a deal. Well it turns out that because I booked originally with my Mastercard Points they counted that as almost nothing towards the actual price for the new upsell cabin. Why they thought I would bite at that is nuts! I imagine the same sort of thing happened when you booked using your timeshare points.

Kind of like using FF miles for a coach ticket and expecting to pay the difference between the full coach fare and first class to upgrade. It's not going to happen.

Guess I was a little clueless on how the timeshare does it! I wanted the mini-suit for the bathtub. I have a 5 year old with me and it is easier to bathe her in a tub. I am sure we will be just fine in a balcony. It is not really suffering!

Guess I was a little clueless on how the timeshare does it! I wanted the mini-suit for the bathtub. I have a 5 year old with me and it is easier to bathe her in a tub. I am sure we will be just fine in a balcony. It is not really suffering!

perhaps you will want to take a small inflatable tub/splash pool...at this point, it should be way cheaper than an upgrade.

perhaps you will want to take a small inflatable tub/splash pool...at this point, it should be way cheaper than an upgrade.

LOL - I could get several!! Great idea! I was thinking a plastic tub and pack around it. But I like the inflatable tub idea.

Very good advice for anyone with a baby or small child. It will fit in the bottom of the shower and a lot cheaper than upgrading just for a bathtub.

Archived