Celebrity Whale Watching Excursion

Giorgi-one

Has anyone been on the whale watching excursion offered by Celebrity in Dominica? It is listed at 3-1/2 hours and costs $80. Can you tel me what type of boat they use and how much rocking to expect? Some of the operators use boats with upper decks and they really rock and roll at low speeds or stopped. I have been on 30 cruises and probably as many ocean excursions and got seasick only once on one of these boats in the Bahamas. Also, of course, let me know if you actually saw any whales.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner but I will try to post for what ever help it might be. There are 2 different whale watching excursions. One is described as being in a rib boat (ROA6.) A rib boat is an inflatable, uncovered boat and you sit quite low in it, close to the water. If you see any whales or dolphin, it is an up close experience. There isn't much support to the seating area. We found this out before we took our last excursion in Dominica and did the other Celebrity whale watching excursion. We saw the rib boat and we were glad we didn't do that one. It just looks hot and uncomfortable. The other excursion, (RO18). This is in a more traditional boat. It is good sized, double decked, and covered. We were able to move around, from sun to shade and back again. Enjoyable! We did not, however, see any whales. We did see some dolphin and the crew did their best to make sure everyone got to see and photograph them. I hope this helps anyone considering these 2 excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the dated reply, but we went on this excursion (larger ship: bi-level) back in late February of 2011. We saw whales and dolphins, but had to get out quite a ways from shore.

The sees were getting progressively as we moved out to sea. Many were getting green around the gills. The captain decided a 30 kt dash to a local fishing village and protective bay was a good idea. That was a very rough ride.

Once we made it closer to shore, the sights were beautiful and the waters calm.