Picture-A-Week-2015 - Week 30

pierces

Not trying to be "political" here, just sharing some little different "camera work" this week in Central Ohio and how the visuals turned out. Not just flowers or animals or travel. Tuesday morning in our town, we had a national media announcement at Ohio State University. That location is just a couple miles south of where we live. I was helping the local NBC TV station here doing on-air "filler" commentary when they were providing three hours of live coverage of the event. Below are a few of my pictures from that day to test my Nikkor 18-140mm lens.

One the speakers addressing the campaign kick-off group Tuesday was America's only two-time Heisman Trophy college football winner, Archie Griffin. BUT, later the reporter from the New York Times asked the Governor's Press Secretary "Who is Archie Griffin?". Clearly, Archie's fame on the football field goes back to the mid 1970's and many in New York City are not that interested in the college game. BUT, it was a funny little item for how "fame" can be varied in its awareness and impact.

Great, perfect weather yesterday, today and in the coming days right here in Central Ohio.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 112,737 views for this posting.

Here are a few views I snapped during the Tuesday Presidential announcement here in Columbus, including with the Governor, his wife and twin daughters. Lots of national media attention and interest. It was a nice set-up in the Student Union of the school where I got my college degree. Lots of media there, music, activities, speeches, etc. Real "Americana"!! It will be a long, long Presidential nominating process and campaign. For the Republicans, they will have their National Convention just up the road in Cleveland in July 2016. And for next summer and fall, Ohio will be one of the two or three key "battleground" states that decides the next President. Whether Ohioans like it or not, this state gets lots of media attention during a Presidential campaign.:

July2015A4_zpsrflzrdbo.jpg

July2015A3_zpsubtb6iks.jpg

July2015A2_zpsqfxmonoj.jpg

July2015A5_zps1r7t2aq6.jpg

Right after the announcement, FOX News was set-up with commentator Sean Hannity there to be taping his hour-long program that was aired Tuesday evening.:

July2015A6_zpstmqm8nxz.jpg

Here I am with the long-time NBC-4 TV anchor with whom I work and do various programs. She's the much better-looking one, in case you have not figured out that little detail/difference!!:

July2015A1_zpswcfedopy.jpg

Terry

Great pictures.

You are a popular man. Maybe you should run for president??

No, no!! We already have one candidate from the State of Ohio running. Plus, my enemies know too much to use against me! It's much easier to be taking pictures and doing posts on Cruise Critic. Less risk and hassle to be involved that way.

To quote famed Ohio Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman: "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."

Sherman also said: "I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell."

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 202,090 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Mr. Seagull would have paid his fare if he could have figured out how to get a ticket out of the machine. :)

Are you talking from experience?? These days us locals are encouraged to use an 'Opal' card (which has a stored value) - not sure whether there is a tourist version ...

One photo of many from a very pleasant walk back to the hotel from dinner. Chicago River Afternoon Dave

Appreciate Dave's super picture from Chicago. None of the other buildings have corporate names shown, BUT, we notice that for The Donald's building, he was not as shy and modest. Big lettering on that one building!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 181,530 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I like John Kasich!

Glad to know that this wonderful photo expert from San Diego is a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments about our state's Governor. I will see him on Tuesday afternoon and will let the Governor know that he has a fan in California.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 25,977 views for these postings.

Are you talking from experience?? These days us locals are encouraged to use an 'Opal' card (which has a stored value) - not sure whether there is a tourist version ...

Yup. We spent a couple of days in Sydney before our cruise around Oz and we were taking the ferry from Darling Harbor to the zoo. We weren't the only ones who were confused - there was another couple too. Fortunately there was an employee stationed there who helped us out.

Pictures do not do justice to good music. But, below are a few pictures from an outdoor, park concert by a jazz orchestra. Fun night! Very entertaining, including with many of the wonderful Big Band sounds featured!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 112,927 views for this posting.

Anyone like Jazz? Thursday evening, we enjoyed our well-known Columbus Jazz Orchestra that has toured in Europe, across the US, etc. Excellent sounds and skills. This was an outdoor park concert and you can also see a classic-looking tree against the blue sky from that evening.:

July2015A16_zpsvx4tyv0w.jpg

July2015A15_zpsmhqv6fol.jpg

July2015A13_zpsmic2blob.jpg

July2015A14_zps1a3o3que.jpg

Nothing home-cooked Friday night, but below gives a little sampling for our evening with friends working to survive the summer. Nice, pleasant weather after too much rain during the past few weeks. Plus, getting ready and excited about this fall's college football season. See more "proof" and photo evidence below.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 181,530 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here was dinner last night from the Wine Bistro. First was the braised veal meatball with marinara mozzarella, provolone and fresh basil. Second as the main dish was Cajun seasoned shrimp, creamy risotto, grilled asparagus with sriracha beurre blanc sauce. Finally, was strawberry shortcake with a house-made biscuit topped with marinated fresh strawberries and vanilla-orange scented whipped cream. Very good!!:

July2015A8_zpsrrzbogu9.jpg

July2015A9_zpsqfjhxq6b.jpg

July2015A10_zpsq4dyh8c9.jpg

Then, it was to the 105,000-seat Ohio Stadium two miles south of where we live to visit the home of the National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes. They were having a "Friday Night Lights" camp for top high school players from across the nation. Perfect weather night with video highlights on the big scoreboard screen from the 42-20 win in January over Oregon to win the top college football title. Second is a little "selfie" of my wife and me enjoying being on the field at the 50-yard line of this historic, horseshoe-shaped stadium. These pictures were all captured with my iPhone, but it works fine for these purposes.:

July2015A11_zpst67u9z4g.jpg

July2015A12_zpsgbfp483k.jpg