Delta or another over the pond

SCHappilyRetired

Hello experts! We have only flown Delta to Europe and just wondering what other airlines will fly JFK to CDG and back from BCN to JFK that you would recommend. I'm sitting on some points that I can transfer to an airline but don't want to go with Delta if your experience if different with another. Looking to fly Business class and Delta has an A330 for my dates. Thank you in advance for your opinions!!

... just wondering what other airlines will fly JFK to CDG and back from BCN to JFK ...
This is a good place for working out which airlines fly the routes directly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations

Don't forget the effects of partnerships and alliances, which mean that you can mix and match some airlines.

Do you want only non-stops, or are connections OK?

I would personally fly outbound JFK-LHR on Virgin, then AF LHR-CDG. And I would book the longest connect I could find, just to use the VS Clubhouse lounge at LHR.

Coming back, I'd try AF BCN-CDG-LHR, then VS to JFK.

Will confess, I love that lounge - excellent food and delightful bartenders who know how to truly craft delightful cocktails. Plus spa services, hot tub and more. So for me, it's worth the extra segments.

If you want a non-stop JFK-CDG, I'd go with the DL flights, unless you get an AF aircraft with their new business class seating. The DL seating is fully flat with aisle access for all. OTOH, it's not the best for couples that REALLY need to "be together" for their flights. The AF catering is likely better, as is their wine selection, so you have to decide if hard product or soft product is more important to you.

Hello experts! We have only flown Delta to Europe and just wondering what other airlines will fly JFK to CDG and back from BCN to JFK that you would recommend. I'm sitting on some points that I can transfer to an airline but don't want to go with Delta if your experience if different with another. Looking to fly Business class and Delta has an A330 for my dates. Thank you in advance for your opinions!!

It really starts with how many points you have to transfer, and where they can be transferred to. Then, what dates are you looking at, to verify availability before you commit to the transfer.

Aeroplan can offer good points value for Europe biz tickets (only 90,000 miles), but you have to know what airlines/flights to book in order to avoid high taxes/fees.

I'm sitting on some points that I can transfer to an airline but don't want to go with Delta if your experience if different with another.

It really starts with how many points you have to transfer, and where they can be transferred to.

Exactly. For example, American Airlines serves both CDG and BCN with nonstop service from/to JFK, both in newly refurbished 763s with lie-flat seats. No nasty surcharges like with British Airways.

But if your miles can't be switched to AA (or Alaska Airlines) then you probably can't access those seats. (You could get them using BA Avios, but you'll probably end up paying over $1000 per seat in fuel surcharges, aka profit, on top of the mileage requirement.)

I would personally fly outbound JFK-LHR on Virgin, then AF LHR-CDG. And I would book the longest connect I could find, just to use the VS Clubhouse lounge at LHR.

Coming back, I'd try AF BCN-CDG-LHR, then VS to JFK.

Keep in mind that AF is in T4 at LHR and Virgin (and Clubhouse) are T3, so this outbound won't work for the Clubhouse. I just went through a similar exercise trying to use miles to fly from ATL to Moscow and AMS to ATL next summer. Ended up going Virgin ATL-LHR, Aeroflot LHR-SVO and BA AMS-LHR-ATL (All biz class - we had points on both DL and BA). So, we will miss the Clubhouse and have to settle for the Skyteam lounge on the way out and the BA Galleries lounge on the way back. #firstworldproblems

Exactly. For example, American Airlines serves both CDG and BCN with nonstop service from/to JFK, both in newly refurbished 763s with lie-flat seats. No nasty surcharges like with British Airways.

But if your miles can't be switched to AA (or Alaska Airlines) then you probably can't access those seats. (You could get them using BA Avios, but you'll probably end up paying over $1000 per seat in fuel surcharges, aka profit, on top of the mileage requirement.)

BA surcharges are much lower (closer to typical taxes and fees on any airline) when you don't originate or finish your journey in London. I just booked AMS-LHR-ATL and the fees were about $200 pp in Club World using Avios. I was waiting for an opportunity to use these Avios without getting gouged on the surcharges.

Thank you everyone. I knew I could count on the experts. Will look into the fees first before committing. We do like non-stop flights if possible but the lounge sounds like a destination in itself!

If you want a destination lounge, fly on Turkish Airlines via IST. One trip, and I've decided that the sole purpose of my Aeroplan miles is to fly me on TK so I can visit the lounge :D.

BA surcharges are much lower (closer to typical taxes and fees on any airline) when you don't originate or finish your journey in London. I just booked AMS-LHR-ATL and the fees were about $200 pp in Club World using Avios. I was waiting for an opportunity to use these Avios without getting gouged on the surcharges.
By originating at AMS and connecting in London, you're avoiding UK Air Passenger Duty, not BA's fuel surcharges. In business class, the APD is 142 quid on top of BA's fees.

Your fees included a $180 "YQ" surcharge levied by BA; I'm guessing the total fees were around $270 counting various taxes as well as the YQ. Right?

Using AA miles, AMS-PHL-ATL would carry a total fee cost of $53.10.

Don't forget Newark (EWR), United has direct flights to both CDG and BCN from there. Just putting this out there as the OP looks like they are in SC to start with so they will have to get up to the NY area anyway.

Yes, thank you! Going up a day or so earlier to visit son in Manhattan so will look into Newark/United to see what they have going. I was in your neck of the woods last week. We moved my CT to Murrells Inlet. Hot, hot, hot!

By originating at AMS and connecting in London, you're avoiding UK Air Passenger Duty, not BA's fuel surcharges. In business class, the APD is 142 quid on top of BA's fees.

Your fees included a $180 "YQ" surcharge levied by BA; I'm guessing the total fees were around $270 counting various taxes as well as the YQ. Right?

Using AA miles, AMS-PHL-ATL would carry a total fee cost of $53.10.

Yeah that amount sounds about right. But the fees are usually much higher to originate from/depart from the UK - not just 142 quid. $270pp for Club World sounds alright to me.

Don't forget Newark (EWR), United has direct flights to both CDG and BCN from there. Just putting this out there as the OP looks like they are in SC to start with so they will have to get up to the NY area anyway.

If you fly UA -- add an extra day to your travel plans. This has not been a good summer for UA -- many delayed or cancelled flights.

Two week ago sitting EWR - perfect day. 5 INTL mechanical delays ( 4- 6 hours) with two of five ending up being cancels.

I just booked AMS-LHR-ATL and the fees were about $200 pp in Club World using Avios.
But the fees are usually much higher to originate from/depart from the UK - not just 142 quid. $270pp for Club World sounds alright to me.
I can't confirm the USD pricing for award tickets because mine will price in GBP.

But trying cash tickets today, AMS-LHR-ATL requires USD 294.98 of TFC, including the YQ.

LHR-ATL requires USD 532.46 of TFC, of which USD 221.80 is the APD. So leaving aside APD, the comparable TFC are USD 310.66.

I would not regard $310.66 as "much higher" than $294.98.

Using GBP, the TFC for an award ticket AMS-LHR-ATL are GBP 188.68 = USD 294.64. The TFC for an award ticket LHR-ATL are GBP 341.06 = USD 532.59. So this strongly suggests that those USD numbers for TFC when pricing a cash ticket are the same as for awards for US member (and this is how I believe BA's system to work anyway).

And therefore the higher TFC if you choose to start in London is mostly accounted for by the APD.

You're right. I went back and looked. It was actually $311pp for my flights so only approx. $200pp difference. As it was the only biz class tickets we could get (Delta flying that way wants 125k-375k! per person for a one way award), we will gladly pay it. :)

We prefer Delta since we live in Georgia and generate more skymiles.

We have flown on US Airways and United over the pond, Delta gives you free wine with your meal, the others did not.

Other than that, we didn't find much of a difference in the airlines.

We have flown on Air France and Lufthansa and they are excellent.

We prefer Delta since we live in Georgia and generate more skymiles.

We have flown on US Airways and United over the pond, Delta gives you free wine with your meal, the others did not.

Other than that, we didn't find much of a difference in the airlines.

We have flown on Air France and Lufthansa and they are excellent.

United now gives wine and beer (no spirits) included in Coach Class.

The times I've flown Air France in their Business class (aka "Affaires"), I have had rather nice experiences. Until I flew Alitalia this Spring, it was the best soft product I had - good food, good wine, good service. And, having access to the CDG lounges was pretty sweet. Now, this was when they still had the angled sleep seats, so I can't comment on how the lay-flats are.

When I've flown Delta in Business TATL, it was meh. Nothing really special, but better than being stuffed in cattle class.

The times I've flown Air France in their Business class (aka "Affaires"), I have had rather nice experiences. Until I flew Alitalia this Spring, it was the best soft product I had - good food, good wine, good service. And, having access to the CDG lounges was pretty sweet. Now, this was when they still had the angled sleep seats, so I can't comment on how the lay-flats are.

When I've flown Delta in Business TATL, it was meh. Nothing really special, but better than being stuffed in cattle class.

Curious what you find different about AF vs. Delta, that makes DL "meh" in your mind for TATL biz class. I have only flown TATL in biz on DL thus far. My AF TATL exp has been in coach.

Also, even on DL metal, you should have access to the AF lounges at CDG if you are flying biz, or are sky team elite+.

Just looking at Delta biz next year to get a feel on points/pricing from JFK to CDG. We have flown them TATL before with flat beds which were nice and would like that product again. Not looking hopeful for miles. Are travelers crazy enough to redeem miles that high or am I the crazy? Is it better to wait a bit and hope the miles go down or am I in LaLa land? Don't fly enough to know. Looking for some help please.

Just looking at Delta biz next year to get a feel on points/pricing from JFK to CDG. We have flown them TATL before with flat beds which were nice and would like that product again. Not looking hopeful for miles. Are travelers crazy enough to redeem miles that high or am I the crazy? Is it better to wait a bit and hope the miles go down or am I in LaLa land? Don't fly enough to know. Looking for some help please.

Look at partner awards in business. Delta awards are crazy high for next summer. Look at Air France, Virgin, KLM, Alitalia, etc.