Flying Home to USA from Vancouver

Gracie115

After our Noordam cruise next month we will fly back to USA from Vancouver. We have connection in Dallas, will we have to go through customs in Dallas? Concerned because we don't have a lot of time between flights. Thanks for any help....

OK...hope so..

Since we will go through in Vancouver we have a 7AM flight...assuming we have to go through some kind of customs check what time should we plan to be at airport? Hoping it's not 3 hours early since we have such an early flight.......

I may have misunderstood your questions but do you mean you have 7:00 am flight after getting off ship in Vancouver?? If so, I would not take any flight out of Vancouver until at least noon. We have gotten off cruise ships and flown home out of V 3 times and you cant make a 7:00 am flight on disembarkation day

OK...hope so..

Since we will go through in Vancouver we have a 7AM flight...assuming we have to go through some kind of customs check what time should we plan to be at airport? Hoping it's not 3 hours early since we have such an early flight.......

You will have to go to a kiosk and print off your baggage tags, attach them and then stand in line for baggage drop off and weighing. Then you will have to go through a US security line, which can be long, and then a US customs line which can be long as well. Then there may be a bit of a hike to your gate. If we were doing the trip we would be at the airport three hours early. However, it depends on your comfort level. We have spent 45 minutes in the security line at Vancouver airport.

I may have misunderstood your questions but do you mean you have 7:00 am flight after getting off ship in Vancouver?? If so, I would not take any flight out of Vancouver until at least noon. We have gotten off cruise ships and flown home out of V 3 times and you cant make a 7:00 am flight on disembarkation day

No we are flying out the next morning

You will have to go to a kiosk and print off your baggage tags, attach them and then stand in line for baggage drop off and weighing. Then you will have to go through a US security line, which can be long, and then a US customs line which can be long as well. Then there may be a bit of a hike to your gate. If we were doing the trip we would be at the airport three hours early. However, it depends on your comfort level. We have spent 45 minutes in the security line at Vancouver airport.

Thanks for your info, I guess my only question would be if it would be that busy that early in the day.... have you ever flown out that early before?

Thanks for your info, I guess my only question would be if it would be that busy that early in the day.... have you ever flown out that early before?

We have flown out of YVR six or seven times after a cruise and always scheduled an early afternoon flight.

Don't forget YVR is a large international airport and a lot of flights will be leaving early in the morning. If we had a flight at 7AM we would be there by 4AM. That's why we try not to take early AM flights unless it is unavoidable.

When we flew to Fort Lauderdale a few months ago we had a 5:45AM flight which was no fun at all. Even flying from our small two gate airport we were there by 4AM. AIr Canada's computer system stops accepting luggage check in one hour before the flight. Might be 45 min but I think it is one hour.

We have flown out of YVR six or seven times after a cruise and always scheduled an early afternoon flight.

Don't forget YVR is a large international airport and a lot of flights will be leaving early in the morning. If we had a flight at 7AM we would be there by 4AM. That's why we try not to take early AM flights unless it is unavoidable.

When we flew to Fort Lauderdale a few months ago we had a 5:45AM flight which was no fun at all. Even flying from our small two gate airport we were there by 4AM. AIr Canada's computer system stops accepting luggage check in one hour before the flight. Might be 45 min but I think it is one hour.

OK thanks for the info.....it was either fly out late at night or early in the morning.....so I guess we'll be up extra early that day.....

Hi Gracie....see you in a few weeks on our cruise! As others have said, you go thorough everything in Vancouver, before boarding. When you land in Dallas it is just like you landed there from Denver or DC.

Thanks for the info....see you in 2 weeks...can't wait!!!!:D:D

I am regularly on the early morning AA flights to DFW, PHX or LAX.

AA Check in opens at 5 am. At that hour I have never needed more than about 20 minutes to get from check-in (dropping off bags) to clearing US pre-clearance. That being said, I have a Nexus card that gets me through the short line at security, and vastly speeds up pre-clearance. If you are relying on the slow lines for both, then you may well be looking at an hour to get through both.

Also not that the AA gates are at the end of the E concourse, so allow 10 minutes or more to get there, depending on your walking speed.

If you have the wherewithal the very best place to stay is the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. The hotel is located inside the airport, and the walk from the lobby to AA check-in can be measured in seconds. I often stay there the night before an early morning flight, even though I live in Vancouver.

I am regularly on the early morning AA flights to DFW, PHX or LAX.

AA Check in opens at 5 am. At that hour I have never needed more than about 20 minutes to get from check-in (dropping off bags) to clearing US pre-clearance. That being said, I have a Nexus card that gets me through the short line at security, and vastly speeds up pre-clearance. If you are relying on the slow lines for both, then you may well be looking at an hour to get through both.

Also not that the AA gates are at the end of the E concourse, so allow 10 minutes or more to get there, depending on your walking speed.

If you have the wherewithal the very best place to stay is the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. The hotel is located inside the airport, and the walk from the lobby to AA check-in can be measured in seconds. I often stay there the night before an early morning flight, even though I live in Vancouver.

Thank you so much for this information. We are indeed flying out on American, my sister on Delta, do you happen to know if Delta is in the same concourse?

We are staying at a hotel about a mile away with van service to the airport so I imagine we'll be ok.

Thanks again!