How much does a butler in the Haven make for a week?

Fred Quimby

Glassdoor.com has some salaries for NCL at https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Salaries-E9937_P4.htm

I don't see butlers on the list. Staterooms stewards are at about $10 an hour (which compares to RCL/Celebrity who are also on Glassdoor.com). For a person from a country like the Philippines that's equivalent to about four times that hourly rate so they earn what upper middle income people earn. My impression has always been that the butlers have risen through the ranks or have prior hospitality experience that includes being a concierge, etc.

I would imagine a butler or concierge would earn more than that $10 an hour. Many of the wages are around that $10 an hour mark for waiters, but bartenders, dancers and some performers earn up to $4k per month.

Glassdoor.com has "self-reported" wages and reviews from workers, so with a company like NCL you have to remember they have a ship that has to meet the minimum wage laws that is based full time in Hawai'i. I don't know how many of those reported wages are from POA crew, but they are in line with the other cruise lines being reported there.

I think that it is a relevant question.

How much shall I tip? That may depend on how high their salary is.

Do they need the tip to get a decent income or shall I only tip because they provide excellent service?

It shouldn't matter. I tip what I want to tip.

If the suite next to me tips $5 for the week, I won't tip more than usual to "make up for the cheap guests".

If the suite next to me tips $1,000 for the week, I won't tip less than usual because "the butler made enough".

I think that it is a relevant question.

How much shall I tip? That may depend on how high their salary is.

Do they need the tip to get a decent income or shall I only tip because they provide excellent service?

So tipping now depends on income, I thought it was based on service.

Well strike me pink.

Well strike me pink.

Us UK and European residents are always being told that tipping in the US is so commonplace, needed and expected because the servers earn so little.

So you can't have it both ways.

To me, it IS all about service. Hence the reason If I receive terrible service I will pay the bill to the exact penny (it's happened twice in over 12 US trips).

But I have read more than once on CC that people will tip regardless of bad service. The reason given is that these servers need the money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well strike me pink.

In Sweden it's based on service. I don't feel that I have to tip anywhere in Sweden but if the service is very good I might do it.

My understanding is that in the US it's more based on income. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that for example waiters in the US need the tip because their salary is so low.

I guess from your post that down under it's based on service.

It shouldn't matter. I tip what I want to tip.

If the suite next to me tips $5 for the week, I won't tip more than usual to "make up for the cheap guests".

If the suite next to me tips $1,000 for the week, I won't tip less than usual because "the butler made enough".

It does matter if we shall know if it's based on salary or service.

If their salary is based on that they shall get tips it's good to tip them a little extra for the excellent job most of them do.

If it's based on service we don't have to think about that.

I can see it the Swedish way and think of it as something I can give for excellent service but that's not nice to the butler if their salary is based on that they will receive tips.

In Sweden it's based on service. I don't feel that I have to tip anywhere in Sweden but if the service is very good I might do it.

My understanding is that in the US it's more based on income. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that for example waiters in the US need the tip because their salary is so low.

I guess from your post that down under it's based on service.

The tip should be based on service. However, the service staff usually receives a lower wage because they make tips. When I worked in a restaurant, I made less per hour than the normal minimum wage, but because I got tips, it would make up for the lower wage. I believe the impetus is that you will provide better service because you want to earn that tip.

All about service to me, Because your job IS to provide a service, so if you provide really good service, at least in my case i will tip an amount that will add up to way more than any dollar amount the company pays you for the time that was devoted.

Glassdoor.com has some salaries for NCL at https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Salaries-E9937_P4.htm

I don't see butlers on the list. Staterooms stewards are at about $10 an hour (which compares to RCL/Celebrity who are also on Glassdoor.com). For a person from a country like the Philippines that's equivalent to about four times that hourly rate so they earn what upper middle income people earn. My impression has always been that the butlers have risen through the ranks or have prior hospitality experience that includes being a concierge, etc.

I would imagine a butler or concierge would earn more than that $10 an hour. Many of the wages are around that $10 an hour mark for waiters, but bartenders, dancers and some performers earn up to $4k per month.

Glassdoor.com has "self-reported" wages and reviews from workers, so with a company like NCL you have to remember they have a ship that has to meet the minimum wage laws that is based full time in Hawai'i. I don't know how many of those reported wages are from POA crew, but they are in line with the other cruise lines being reported there.

The problem with this information is that it neglects the fact that they also receive room and board, plus medical, plus transportation home. While the figures show hourly rates, they do not say how many hours that is per week. Most cruise ship employees work about 60 hours per week. I also assume that the figures do not include gratuities that are paid in cash and go unreported.

In other words glassdoor is under reporting actual income by at least a factor of 2 (IMO).

Us UK and European residents are always being told that tipping in the US is so commonplace, needed and expected because the servers earn so little.

So you can't have it both ways.

To me, it IS all about service. Hence the reason If I receive terrible service I will pay the bill to the exact penny (it's happened twice in over 12 US trips).

But I have read more than once on CC that people will tip regardless of bad service. The reason given is that these servers need the money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know what a server in the US makes nor do I care, I tip based on service, as most in the US do; I've never heard anyone ask a sever how much they make (one, because most don't care and two, it would be rude to ask someone what their income is). Also, you might read that some tip even with bad service, but trust me many don't. There has been times when I don't tip, but I do have the courtsey to speak with a manager to let them know exactly why there is no tip and ask them to explain it to the server.

I don't know what a server in the US makes nor do I care, I tip based on service, as most in the US do; I've never heard anyone ask a sever how much they make (one, because most don't care and two, it would be rude to ask someone what their income is). Also, you might read that some tip even with bad service, but trust me many don't. There has been times when I don't tip, but I do have the courtsey to speak with a manager to let them know exactly why there is no tip and ask them to explain it to the server.

And you're spot on. Tipping should always be about the level of service.

I've been flabbergasted at least twice reading something similar to below on CC:

'If the service is good I'll tip 20% and if it's bad 15%'. The craziest thing I've read on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app