Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

MVPinBoynton

I saw this article in Travel Weekly. This looks like a great way to take care of your luggage after a cruise where you are heading to SEATAC. It says it is free, so I am interested to find out how it actually works. Will the cruise line handle it or will you be able to take it to a desk in the terminal? Those of you who are traveling soon, please let us know how it works.

Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

Cruise passengers arriving at the Port of Seattle this summer will be able to check their luggage through to the airport and receive an airline boarding pass before disembarkation. The Port of Seattle said it is launching the Cruise Luggage Valet Program so that passengers can spend time in Seattle to see the sights and more easily visit its restaurants and attractions. Seattle’s first cruise of the 2017 season departs April 29. The luggage valet program is free to passengers.

It sounds like the service they have at Walt Disney World for people who stay onsite. You take your bags down to the desk and they tag the bags and truck them to the airport. I'm sure there will be a minimum time you have to allow, like your flight can't be before X time to make sure the bags make it to the airport in time.

It's free, but I'm sure it will be built into port charges somehow. Still a great sounding program. I paid for the same service (except no boarding pass) on Carnival, and it was worth every penny. :D

This is how it used to be back in the early 90s when cruising. The airlines would send huge trucks out to the port to pick up the luggage and we would receive our boarding passes there at the dock. They actually had airline employees stationed at the cruiseport, and after we retrieved our luggage from the warehouse we proceeded to the exit where there were makeshift airline check in counters and we were handed our boarding passes and they took our luggage, threw it into a big truck, we then boarded our tour bus to sight see for the day, and then were dropped at the airport midday Worked quite well. The port I speak of is San Juan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like the service they have at Walt Disney World for people who stay onsite. You take your bags down to the desk and they tag the bags and truck them to the airport. I'm sure there will be a minimum time you have to allow, like your flight can't be before X time to make sure the bags make it to the airport in time.

It's free, but I'm sure it will be built into port charges somehow. Still a great sounding program. I paid for the same service (except no boarding pass) on Carnival, and it was worth every penny. :D

This is a great service. WDW did hold your carry on's for you while you stayed in the parks until departure time. i assume you will have to carry these around with you until your flight time. I might have to re-organize my packing plans to minimize bags.

I hope that Royal Caribbean participates in this service. They do have a valet service but it's only available at a couple of ports.

There is a website which contains a PDF from the Port of Seattle which contains additional details

http://www.portseattle.org/ABOUT/COMMISSION/MEETINGS/2017/2017_04_11_RM_6c.pdf

Some excerpts from the PDF

"Guests enjoying this service are still responsible for airline baggage fees. The fee is collected byBags Inc. on board the ship during the check in process, and then remitted to the airlines byBags Inc. At this time, the proposed service will only serve domestic flights, which compriseabout 90% of Seattle’s cruise passengers. To participate in this service, guests must fly out thesame day they complete their cruise and have flight times later than 11:00 a.m.The luggage service would be promoted to passengers by the cruise lines and the Port. Seattlewould be the first homeport to offer a luggage valet service as a courtesy to benefit localtourism and small business. This action request would provide the service at no cost to theguest"

"With effective promotion by the Port, cruise lines, and airline partners, the 2017 luggage valetprogram could easily serve many more passengers. It is estimated that 65% of all cruisepassengers sailing out of Seattle would be eligible to participate. Staff estimates that at 40%participation 208,520 passengers would take advantage of the program.The Bags Inc. service will be offered to all major airlines and cruise lines"

This will certainly open up getting to the airport relatively inexpensively via Link Light-rail without the hassle of dragging along luggage. People with late flights could easily spend the morning downtown or on the waterfront and then grab the train to the airport. The missing part though is still the lack of a free cruise pier to downtown shuttle but maybe that too will be addressed if the goal is getting more people downtown.

Video of new service:

On the other hand I hope they don't send our bags to the airport. We'll be driving home.

This will certainly open up getting to the airport relatively inexpensively via Link Light-rail without the hassle of dragging along luggage. People with late flights could easily spend the morning downtown or on the waterfront and then grab the train to the airport. The missing part though is still the lack of a free cruise pier to downtown shuttle but maybe that too will be addressed if the goal is getting more people downtown.

The shuttle is only needed if arriving at pier 91.

I think it's a great idea by the Port of Seattle, More tourists in town means more money spent, more tax dollars, and less reliance on those of us who live in Washington year round. Win Win in my book!

• 2 weeks later...

Any more info....recent news on this service? I have a lot of caregiving stuff that I need to get my friend ready in the morning. Do they accept the luggage as you get off the ship?

Just read the PDF......it will not work for us because we can't put our luggage out the night before I will be using most of it in the morning. Hmmmm....maybe since it is free I can send one bag ahead and having the boarding passes already will allow more time to roam in the city.

Edited by Tinknock50

Any more info....recent news on this service? I have a lot of caregiving stuff that I need to get my friend ready in the morning. Do they accept the luggage as you get off the ship?

Just read the PDF......it will not work for us because we can't put our luggage out the night before I will be using most of it in the morning. Hmmmm....maybe since it is free I can send one bag ahead and having the boarding passes already will allow more time to roam in the city.

I am also waiting to hear how it's working out....especially if you have to be among the first group off the ship in case customs wants to inspect your bags (this is how it is with the Luggage Direct program). Thanks

I will be taking advantage of this program in July. and just like the article states; I plan on spending the day in Seattle post cruise and spending money in the city. Its a win win for my family and the city of Seattle.

I am also waiting to hear how it's working out....especially if you have to be among the first group off the ship in case customs wants to inspect your bags (this is how it is with the Luggage Direct program). Thanks

It seems like kind of a pain to be reunited with your luggage at the pier. But does this also mean I can give them the rest of my "needed in the morning" luggage at this time?

It seems like kind of a pain to be reunited with your luggage at the pier. But does this also mean I can give them the rest of my "needed in the morning" luggage at this time?

I don't think so. You don't actually get your luggage...it's just that if customs decides they want to inspect yours the luggage can be retrieved and it's still early enough to then get it to the airport along with all the others for the flights.

I don't think so. You don't actually get your luggage...it's just that if customs decides they want to inspect yours the luggage can be retrieved and it's still early enough to then get it to the airport along with all the others for the flights.
Oh , OK....so it isn't really routine to have your luggage pulled. It is just something that MIGHT happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody used the free airport luggage service yet and if so how did it work? It is a great idea and if it is working I might get a later flight out of Seattle after my cruise. Would be nice to spend a little time in the city and not have to worry about hauling luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anybody used the free airport luggage service yet and if so how did it work? It is a great idea and if it is working I might get a later flight out of Seattle after my cruise. Would be nice to spend a little time in the city and not have to worry about hauling luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am also hoping for some feedback before I leave in 3weeks. When do you sail?