Swissotel/Sightseeing ???

kootz

We are staying at Swissotel Sydney in the beginning of December. Can anyone help with easy walking ideas and tour companies. We will be there for three days prior to our cruise and two days after.

Theres an I'm free that runs from Town Hall (you'll need to check the times)

You are a hop skip and a jump from Hyde park so I would walk across to Hyde park, view Archibald Fountain and St Mary's. Walk across and go down to the Art Gallery and Mrs Macquarie's Chair. This will have you then walk around the bottom of the botanic gardens with views back over the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

If inclined you could walk back up Macquarie St or catch the 555 free bus.

There are walking tours in "The Rocks" as well as the Opera House tour which both require pre booking and have a cost.

I'm not sure if the 555 bus is running anymore, since they started the works in George St for the light rail. Many bus services in the CBD have changed.

Correct. 555 no longer operates. George St now closed between Market and King and will progressively close to all traffic except pedestrians and Trams over the next few years.

Also dont forget to walk down to Darling Harbour by goin straight down Market st. Walk along the waterfront to Barrangaroo or visit the Aquarium and the Wildlife Park.

The Swissotel is in a really good, central location. If you walk out the hotel door and turn right, you can walk down Market St to get to Darling Harbour in about 15 minutes. There will be a lot happening on weekends at that time of year (it's pretty dead during the week).

A really lovely walk to do is turn left from your hotel on Market St & you will be at Hyde Park in about 2 minutes (or more depending on how many store windows you stop at :) ). From there you can walk through to the Domain and the Botanic Gardens, head over to Mrs Macquarie's chair (for great views of the harbour) and then wend your way round Farm Cove to the Opera House and Circular Quay. and up into the Rocks. From there it's about a 10 minute walk up George St and back to the hotel.

Another nice walk is through the Rocks and up to and over the Harbour Bridge. I think the Pylon is still open as a museum and you can climb the stairs to the top for great views. The poor mans version of the Harbour Bridge climb :) From there you can catch a train back from Milsons Point to Wynyard or Town Hall.

The new park at Barrangaroo is now open and from what I've read there will be activities and things on over the summer.

Definitely do a back-stage tour of the Opera House.

Is there anything in particular you are thinking of doing? If so let us know and I'm sure we can help with best ways to do them

Thanks for all the ideas. Please keep them coming...

Any tour companies recommended? A really good city type tour?

A walking map???

Sydney has several large public tour companies such as APT, Grayline, AAT Kings who all do similar tours that includes a visit to Manly and Bondi beaches. AAT Kings also has a HoHo that does a city tour and the usual red City Sightseeing HoHo also runs regularly during daylight hours.

City tours now cannot take in the centre downtown area because of the current tram building programme.

There is also a free walking tour (pay by tips).