Bay of Islands - Hole in the Rock vs Glow Worm Caves

patatie

We're visiting Bay of Islands in early January and I was considering the above two places of interest. We have been to NZ on quite a few cruises but have never stopped at Bay of Islands before. As I am not sure if we will be returning to the Bay of Islands again, I am wondering which the best one to pick would be.

I'm from Melbourne and am wondering if the Hole in the Rock is similar at all to the 12 Apostles. If it is I am feeling inclined to go to the caves as I've never been to a glow worm cave before (though I have been on other cave tours in other parts of the world).

At the moment I am very undecided.

I'd prefer to use a private operator but our ship (Explorer of the seas) is only scheduled to get to Bay of Islands at 11:00am, and given that it's a tender port I'm really not sure how late we'll get to shore so I will most likely have to book with the cruise company.

I did also notice that some private tour operators offer swim with the dolphins experiences at Bay of Islands, which also sounds amazing, but with the late arrival I'm not sure if this will be possible (instead of the caves/hole in the rock).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Which glow worm caves are you thinking of seeing? I don't remember any in the Bay of Islands.

If you are thinking of Waitomo glow worm caves they are south of Auckland and are not possible to do from the Bay of Islands they are too far away.

http://www.waitomo.com/Waitomo-Glowworm-Caves/Pages/default.aspx

I think it would be the Kawiti Glow Worm Caves - we have booked a taxi from Paihia to see them on our cruise next month - taxi was NZ$80 & it is NZ$20 each admission.

Yes, I was referring to the Kawiti caves.

Thanks for the info on the pricing - that's alot cheaper than the ship's excursion which is ~$120AUD!!!

One thing to take into consideration is that ships tours will take precedence over private tours for getting off the ship. Tenders wont become available until most of the ships tours are on there way.

The ships tour price seems reasonable compared to other destinations. NZ$100 = A$94 a saving of just $36 fir one person but probably considerably more for 2 taking in the taxi cost saving.

You need to weigh up the time factor with a late tender v ship tour.

One thing to take into consideration is that ships tours will take precedence over private tours for getting off the ship. Tenders wont become available until most of the ships tours are on there way.

The ships tour price seems reasonable compared to other destinations. NZ$100 = A$94 a saving of just $36 fir one person but probably considerably more for 2 taking in the taxi cost saving.

You need to weigh up the time factor with a late tender v ship tour.

It will be NZ$120 for 2 people so apx AUS$112 - less than half the price of the ships tour. We have just arranged the taxi a couple hours after we dock to give ourselves plenty of time.

It will be NZ$120 for 2 people so apx AUS$112 - less than half the price of the ships tour. We have just arranged the taxi a couple hours after we dock to give ourselves plenty of time.

Double that for us as there's four of us! (Assuming we can get three in the back seat of a taxi!)

May I ask which taxi company you booked with please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
We're visiting Bay of Islands in early January and I was considering the above two places of interest. We have been to NZ on quite a few cruises but have never stopped at Bay of Islands before. As I am not sure if we will be returning to the Bay of Islands again, I am wondering which the best one to pick would be.

I'm from Melbourne and am wondering if the Hole in the Rock is similar at all to the 12 Apostles. If it is I am feeling inclined to go to the caves as I've never been to a glow worm cave before (though I have been on other cave tours in other parts of the world).

At the moment I am very undecided.

I'd prefer to use a private operator but our ship (Explorer of the seas) is only scheduled to get to Bay of Islands at 11:00am, and given that it's a tender port I'm really not sure how late we'll get to shore so I will most likely have to book with the cruise company.

I did also notice that some private tour operators offer swim with the dolphins experiences at Bay of Islands, which also sounds amazing, but with the late arrival I'm not sure if this will be possible (instead of the caves/hole in the rock).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

We are on the Solstice cruise Dec. 4 and I am trying to decide the same thing for the Bay of Islands. We arrive at 7am and I am wondering when I could reasonably expect to book a boat trip from Paihia if we are not booking a ship's excursion.

We are also considering going to the Kawiti Caves but the ship's tour is listed as strenuous. We have visited caves in China and Viet Nam with a fair bit of walking and climbing with no problems. DH has knee problems and I am wondering what exactly makes the Kawiti Caves "strenuous." We would love to see the Glow Worms! Any other suggestions for the Bay of Islands are most welcome.

We are at BOI today on Solstice and booked this private cab near where the shuttle bus drops you on Paihai. Very reasonable. Paul is proprietor and took us to those caves, the famous toilets, and the falls . $80 per hour for the two of us. Caves were only strenuous after...so don't do the 'bush' walk after the caves and you are home free. Great glowworms!

We are at BOI today on Solstice and booked this private cab near where the shuttle bus drops you on Paihai. Very reasonable. Paul is proprietor and took us to those caves, the famous toilets, and the falls . $80 per hour for the two of us. Caves were only strenuous after...so don't do the 'bush' walk after the caves and you are home free. Great glowworms!

Thanks so much. This sounds like a good way to see the caves. Knowing about the bush walk is very helpful. DH has knee problems and can skip the bush walk and still do the cave tour.