"Sip and Sail" discrimination

suspend6

"Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit."

Having said earlier in this thread that discrimination might be a little harsh a term, the above definition does fit.

I think the key word here is "merit." What does a marketing tool have to do with merit?

Just wondering why the Australian Government has an interest in my Princess cruise to Alaska but not my last Med Cruise on Celebrity.....

The comments about the Australian Government dealt with cruises going in and out of Australia.

Now CCL does have more of a corporate presence in Australia with both Carnival Australia and P&O Australia business units. That might tend to make them more sensitive to Australian issues. I do not believe that RCCL has any similar corporate entities in Australia.

It would also be consistent that since they would not have drink packages on local cruises out of Australia that the policy would be not to sell drink packages in Australia, which would include packages sold via Australian travel agents.

Edited by RDC1

That relates to an incident that occurred on a cruise ship over 10 years ago.

Yes, but note that the government report was 2012. That means that the incident triggered substantial interest in the Government. The link includes all of the submissions so one could see when Carnival Australia submission was generated.

Governments do not tend to move quickly.

You have similar examples of incidents in the US where family members taking action after events have resulted in laws being passed.

The comments about the Australian Government dealt with cruises going in and out of Australia.

Now CCL does have more of a corporate presence in Australia with both Carnival Australia and P&O Australia business units. That might tend to make them more sensitive to Australian issues.

It would also be consistent that since they would not have drink packages on local cruises out of Australia that the policy would be not to see drink packages in Australia.

Huh.:confused:

P&O, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity offer a drink package to Aussies. I'm not sure about Carnival. The original question was, why do Princess not offer free drink packages to Aussies when they are offering them to USA cruisers on the same itineraries.

We can purchase drink packages.

P&O, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity offer a drink package to Aussies. I'm not sure about Carnival. The original question was, why do Princess not offer free drink packages to Aussies when they are offering them to USA cruisers on the same itineraries.

Ah! But what is the price of that cruise with the included package from the US TA or Princess site compared with the AU price?

Now CCL does have more of a corporate presence in Australia with both Carnival Australia and P&O Australia business units. That might tend to make them more sensitive to Australian issues. I do not believe that RCCL has any similar corporate entities in Australia.

It would also be consistent that since they would not have drink packages on local cruises out of Australia that the policy would be not to sell drink packages in Australia, which would include packages sold via Australian travel agents.

And which bears no relevance to my comments here. The specials are available to non Australians on the Alaska cruises - well probably all finished now.

The price - do a price check pre and post. We got a fabulous 123 promo with Celebrity but not feeling any love from Princess.

Edited by Pushka

P&O, Princess and Carnival all did not offer them on Australian cruises a few years ago when the inquiry was in full swing. Some of them have started to offer them on Australian cruises recently, but not all of them.

I think the key word here is "merit." What does a marketing tool have to do with merit?

Merit:

1) something that deserves or justifies a reward or commendation.

2) to be worthy of;

I think "merit" has a lot do do with it. Apparently, there is no merit in Princess giving Australians a free drinks package!

P&O, Princess and Carnival all did not offer them on Australian cruises a few years ago when the inquiry was in full swing. Some of them have started to offer them on Australian cruises recently, but not all of them.

I am aware of that. I am living in the present not in the past and the question is for what happens now, not what the policy was a few years ago. Things change.

Edited by victravellers

"Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit."

Having said earlier in this thread that discrimination might be a little harsh a term, the above definition does fit.

...and it happens all the time.

For instance, a car dealer might offer a:

"$1000 incentive for recent college graduates"

I hear ads like this all the time.

You can cry all you want about discrimination, but what it

comes down to is 'is it actionable'.

If not, your only choice is to take your business elsewhere.

I may have missed it but I have only seen the sip and sail offered once by Princess. Celebrity on the other hand has been running this promotion for over 2 years for anyone who books an ocean view or higher. Now it just part of the price structure which may be why it's offered internationally. I say it's part of the price structure because you must choose either the drink package, paid gratuities or $300 OBC when you book. They don't always offer a lower fare if you book without receiving one of the add ons. Once in a while a resident or senior rate is offered but that rate isn't even low enough to make it worth while to accept it over the other offer.

I will also add that the price of the beverages on Princess are much more reasonably priced than on Celebrity. I don't think that I would be compelled to purchase one on Princess but if they offer it as a perk and the price for the cruise doesn't seem inflated than I would book.

Edited by Iamcruzin