Australia - Visas Needed?

cruzluvers

We are sailing on the Solstice in Feb to New Zealand and Australia. Will we need a Visa for Australia? We read recently that the US has a reciprical agreement with Australia and one wouldn't be needed but our TA says we do need one. :confused:

I know when I fly in the Airline does it for me and charges the fee of like $10 or something to me.

It's an electronic visa, they just note to your passport so when you get there they know they know you already.

Here's the link to the form etc.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Appl/Electronic-travel-authority

We've cruised to Australia twice (Honolulu to Sydney in 2011 and also San Francisco to Sydney in 2014). We had purchased our electronic Visas prior to boarding, but Celebrity boarding agents at both embarkation ports seemed to be able to sell the Visas to those who hadn't realized they needed one.

Easiest to book ahead on the AU government site. $20AU. Just be careful to book it there. Some sort of sleazy companies will try to look like the Austrsalian govt site and charge a lot more.

PS - An Australian ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) is not really a visa and is good for a tourist for multiple entries over 1 year from the time of purchase for those from the USA. You can stay 90 days. Different rules apply to citizens of other countries.

New Zealand - not required for USA citizens

Edited by az_tchr

You don't have to use the service provider attached to the Australia government web site which likely pays a fee for that.

We used the following service many times to enter Australia for cruising and to visit family there. We've always have gotten excellent service with our ETA approval being received within the 24 hours mentioned. Actually all have been received in 12 hours or less at a cost of $9.95US only for the tourist ETA. The first time we used this service I checked this service provider out and it turned out to be an US based operation.

https://easyeta.com/,

Edited by robtulipe

Thanks everyone for the good info. Now I will call my TA and tell her she was wrong (she wanted us to go to a recommended site and pay about $45 pp):)

Those sites are a rip off, but I guess like most they are just trying to make a quid.

You don't have to use the service provider attached to the Australia government web site which likely pays a fee for that.

We used the following service many times to enter Australia for cruising and to visit family there. We've always have gotten excellent service with our ETA approval being received within the 24 hours mentioned. Actually all have been received in 12 hours or less at a cost of $9.95US only for the tourist ETA. The first time we used this service I checked this service provider out and it turned out to be an US based operation.

https://easyeta.com/,

Just use the official Aus Govt web site.

Easier and less expensive, no middleman.

A word of advice: No matter where or how you get your visa/ETA, I would definitely suggest taking a printout of the confirmation. I have had issues with my passport being read electronically, so the ETA will not come up at the passport control terminals. Having the printout of the confirmation made getting though so much easier.

Just use the official Aus Govt web site.

Easier and less expensive, no middleman.

How is $9.95USD, £5.95 (GBP), or $11.95 (SGD) more expensive than $20AUS even at current exchange rates?:confused:

Also by using this service provider, which is just as easy and quick to use as the service provider attached to the Aus Govt web site, you pay in either $US, GBP or SGD thus avoiding credit card currency conversion fees.

Importantly - dealing direct with the Govt dept https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/Visi

ensures your private data is held, archived and destroyed in accordance with the Privacy Act.

The 3rd party companies do not have the same stringent requirements regarding the safety of your data.

You are spending thousands on a holiday - why quibble over a couple of dollars for the visa and risk your personal identity data being held with a company that is not obligated to act in accordance with the Act ?

Seriously - its the cost of one less coffee or beer.

We are travelling in October 2017 from the UK to Singapore , and start the cruise from here to Australia and New Zealand. Do we need a visa for both countries and do we need a multiple visit visa or once only. Any information would greatly be received. Also if so where the most reliable an cheapest to go online. Many thanks in advance:)

We are travelling in October 2017 from the UK to Singapore , and start the cruise from here to Australia and New Zealand. Do we need a visa for both countries and do we need a multiple visit visa or once only. Any information would greatly be received. Also if so where the most reliable an cheapest to go online. Many thanks in advance:)

Yes a visa is needed for Australia.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1

And it all depends on where you are from for New Zealand.

http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/visafreecountries.htm

Citizens of several different countries can apply for an ETA/Visa using the Australian Government website. Spain is one of those countries, I think most E.U. Ones are on the list of approved countries.

Yes u need to have an Australian visa. Also--Is it true, heard bridge in Sydney collapsed yesterday? I hope not

All I can say is I haven't heard anything about it, but it is 6:00 am here and I haven't heard the news yet, so I guess something could have happened overnight.

What bridge, there are plenty to choose from including some dinky little wooden ones.

I applied online for a visa through the official website. Was free. :D

Yes, UK citizens qualify for eVisitor visas which are issued for free.

US citizens must apply for ETAs which incur an AU$20 fee.

They might be thinking of that bridge in New Zealand saw it on ninemsn it is shocking to see and not something you want happening to anyone.

Thanks I'll have a look no mention of it here that I've heard so far.