Question on train excursion

Oboedot

• 4 weeks later...
I know the train ride is very touristy, and is pricey. But I have a question. How bumpy is the ride? Hubby has had back issues, and doesn't want to do this excursion if the ride is very bumpy.

I don't remember it being bumpy at all, just boring and way overpriced. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

• 1 month later...

I would not recommend it. So very over priced for seeing nothing. Opps sorry we did see a few goats. When the train pulled in people were pushing to get onboard. I don't know why because there was plenty of room. You can sit outside on top but it is very hot or indoors.

• 2 months later...

We did it a few years ago and also enjoyed it. It gives you a view of the countryside which you wouldn't otherwise get - it was fun waving to the locals and schoolchildren along the way and the drinks were free-flowing. Some locals also came onboard and entertained us with singing. I don't remember it being bumpy. We did the optional catamaran sail back which gave you a different view of the island.

Yes it's pricey but the only way to do it is through the cruiselines and their excursions are always pricey. We're in St Kitts later this year and are considering doing it again.

We thought it was an enjoyable thing to do. Saw parts of the island we'd not seen before. Loved passing through the little villages and having the children wave at us. There were a few bumps along the way but it mostly a smooth ride.

Certainly worth taking one time. (y)

• 2 weeks later...

We did it last year and thought it was nice. Was a neat way to see the island. Got to see local villages and the country side. Like said in different posts. Locals came aboard and sang. Got a lot of good pictures of the hills and ocean. It got a little rocky in some of the turns. It isn't overly bumpy from what I remember. I would definitely do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

We did this last year, and had the option of taking the van back instead of the sail. We sat on the second level which is open air. I do not remember it being too hot. The drinks were free flowing and very good. There were non alcoholic drinks available as well. The ride was no very bumpy at all. The restrooms were on the lower level, and there is a spiral staircase between levels, so if you have mobility issues, then I would not recommend the upper level. I did not think the price was too out of line. If you are on the upper level, you will get a much better view, especially the narrow bridges you cross. If you are a rail fan, then this excursion is for you. We are not beach people, so this met our needs.

That being said, when we return later this year, we will not take the train again, but we often do not repeat our excursions on any island. I was looking to do batik classes, or something similar.

• 3 weeks later...
We did this last year, and had the option of taking the van back instead of the sail. We sat on the second level which is open air. I do not remember it being too hot. The drinks were free flowing and very good. There were non alcoholic drinks available as well. The ride was no very bumpy at all. The restrooms were on the lower level, and there is a spiral staircase between levels, so if you have mobility issues, then I would not recommend the upper level. I did not think the price was too out of line. If you are on the upper level, you will get a much better view, especially the narrow bridges you cross. If you are a rail fan, then this excursion is for you. We are not beach people, so this met our needs.

That being said, when we return later this year, we will not take the train again, but we often do not repeat our excursions on any island. I was looking to do batik classes, or something similar.

Glad to hear there are restrooms. I was just about to ask that question! :cool:

HI all!

I'm another one who took the train trip & enjoyed it. I sat downstairs & don't remember it being bumpy.There was also a yummy cookie/candy I remember as well as drinks. I think it's an excursion you'd only do once so am looking for something new to do next time.

If your DH likes trains then you have to do it!

~ Jo ~ :)

• 1 month later...
So disappointed that this isn't good. :( My husband is going to want to do it because it's a train and he's a rail fan.

We did a nice banana train excursion at Limon, Costa Rica, several years ago while in that port.

We did this on one of our visits to St. Kitts. I would not recommend it for a fist visit as you really don't see any of the highlights of the island. For subsequent visits it is a nice activity to do once. I would not do it again and I think it is way over priced. The ride is not bumpy but there is a bit of shaking from side to side but nothing like riding Amtrak.

• 2 weeks later...