Carnival's Staggered Check-In in Galveston

Singer4Him

We sailed from Galveston for the first time last month and of all the ports we've sailed from (NOLA 4x, FLL, and Mobile, Alabama) Galveston was by FAR the best experience we've ever had. From the locals working outside the port, to the people we encountered during the embarkation process, we could not have asked for anyone to have been any more hospitable. Everyone seemed to be genuinely happy that we were there.

This was also our first time being part of Carnival's staggered check-in and it was like a well oiled machine. It was so smooth! Our check-in time was 10:30 but we arrived early since we weren't sure what traffic would be like getting to the port from our hotel in Texas City. Again, it was so smooth. By 10:30 we were completely checked in and waiting for our boarding call!

Since we've never sailed from Galveston before, I can't say for certain that it was all because of the staggered check-in but I do believe that it probably helped with the efficiency.

We are already looking forward to sailing from Galveston again next year.

This was our first time also sailing out of Galveston.

We had a completely different experience. We had a 1130 checkin and it was a mad house. Plus Galveston is the ugliest cruise terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We sailed from Galveston for the first time last month and of all the ports we've sailed from (NOLA 4x, FLL, and Mobile, Alabama) Galveston was by FAR the best experience we've ever had. From the locals working outside the port, to the people we encountered during the embarkation process, we could not have asked for anyone to have been any more hospitable. Everyone seemed to be genuinely happy that we were there.

This was also our first time being part of Carnival's staggered check-in and it was like a well oiled machine. It was so smooth! Our check-in time was 10:30 but we arrived early since we weren't sure what traffic would be like getting to the port from our hotel in Texas City. Again, it was so smooth. By 10:30 we were completely checked in and waiting for our boarding call!

Since we've never sailed from Galveston before, I can't say for certain that it was all because of the staggered check-in but I do believe that it probably helped with the efficiency.

We are already looking forward to sailing from Galveston again next year.

Thank you this Good report re: Embark at Galveston. Please tell us about DISEMBARK! How was it? TYIA!!

I too sailed out of the Carnival terminal last month in Galveston and also had a 10:30 check-in time. We were in line for about 30 minutes and then had to wait another hour until they let us on the ship. This was a new experience for me as I usually sail with RCCL and there was no waiting to board the ship after check in. But to answer your question about disembarking we walked off the ship with our luggage around 7:30am and flew through customs and was outside waiting on our shuttle. Matter of fact since it took so little time to get off the ship we took an earlier shuttle to the airport as I would rather wait there then stand outside in the heat.

This was our first time also sailing out of Galveston.

We had a completely different experience. We had a 1130 checkin and it was a mad house. Plus Galveston is the ugliest cruise terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Galveston has improved so much, and will be continuing to improve in the future , it would be interesting as to what your observations are other than you think the terminal is ugly.

<snip> But to answer your question about disembarking we walked off the ship with our luggage around 7:30am and flew through customs and was outside waiting on our shuttle. Matter of fact since it took so little time to get off the ship we took an earlier shuttle to the airport as I would rather wait there then stand outside in the heat.

Our disembarkation was not as smooth earlier this month in Galveston. The ship was not docked until after 7:30am. We walked off at 8:30 and stood in line for Customs for an hour and a half. Got through at 10am and rushed to catch our 11:55 flight out of IAH. Wasn't sure we were going to make it.

Smoooooooth as silk on both ends. Best experience at any port I've had. Not particularly scenic but who cares?

- Arrived from Hobby (where we had hotel overnight) about 10:30 via Galveston Limo. Staggered check-in at 11a but they waived us in a little early. Checked-in and seated in the big waiting room by 11:30. On the ship via Group 7 by just after noon. In room and unpacked by 1:30.

- Self disembarked from Deck 1 (first non-premium group to walk off) and was standing curbside by 9a. Picked up by our Galveston Limo bus about 9:45 and wisked off to Hobby. Had been assigned Zone 28 so knew we had to carry. No worries.

Embarkation was easy and fast last Sunday . No issues at all. Will report on disembarkation next week upon return .

Sunday morning upon return:

Every aspect of disembarkation was smooth.

Enjoyed a nice leisurely breakfast in main dining room, then moved to station and was released.

RCL had complete Control of passengers inside ship.

Movement thru and out of terminal was great.

Directions were good.

Baggage area was clearly marked and bags easily retrieved .

Immigration was fully staffed and lines moved fast . And was Roatan Belize Itinerary!

New terminal two for RCL Liberty was wonderful experience!!! ��

Edited by ssb

I am trying to find out if what I read here on CC is correct. I plan on purchasing Carnival transportation from Hobby the morning of my cruise. Is it true that I will be able to bypass the staggered check in times and just enter when I arrive on the bus? Right now I have 11:30am check in time. Someone mentioned that purchasing Carnivals transport gives me this perk.

I am trying to find out if what I read here on CC is correct. I plan on purchasing Carnival transportation from Hobby the morning of my cruise. Is it true that I will be able to bypass the staggered check in times and just enter when I arrive on the bus? Right now I have 11:30am check in time. Someone mentioned that purchasing Carnivals transport gives me this perk.

I have never cruised Carnival which uses terminal one .

I suggest Call Carnival direct and ask . The perk sounds like a good one.

Regardless you get on ship quickly .

Edited by ssb

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed Liberty of the Seas 10/30-11/6. Embarkation was a fiasco. They had a camera break and we stood in line for over 2 1/2 hours. The whole place was a madhouse. Debarkation went smooth.

It will be interesting to see how well Carnival's staggered boarding will work over time. I may have to book another cruise with them just to test it.

• 1 year later...
Our disembarkation was not as smooth earlier this month in Galveston. The ship was not docked until after 7:30am. We walked off at 8:30 and stood in line for Customs for an hour and a half. Got through at 10am and rushed to catch our 11:55 flight out of IAH. Wasn't sure we were going to make it.

Did you have a passport? That seems out of the norm for here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had that same cruise on Liberty. It was an awful embarkation. Even though it was October it was very hot that day and passengers were waiting outside for hours some got sick.

Hours? Seriously? I’m calling Buffalo Soldier I’m that. We’ve sailed 36 times from Galveston and even before we were platinum and now our friends that aren’t don’t wait hours.

Don’t show up early for your check in time.

We sailed Liberty of the Seas 10/30-11/6. Embarkation was a fiasco. They had a camera break and we stood in line for over 2 1/2 hours. The whole place was a madhouse. Debarkation went smooth.

It will be interesting to see how well Carnival's staggered boarding will work over time. I may have to book another cruise with them just to test it.

They have 22 cameras at the check in. The staggered time system is almost two years old.

We've sailed out of Galveston a dozen times. We've also sailed out of other ports (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Port Canaveral, NYC). Galveston check-in for embarkation has always been smooth... much better than the other ports

Debarkation runs smooth as well... if you plan it correctly. We don't attempt to be the first ones off the ship, and we don't go as soon as they call our group. We try to go "between" groups, and it always been a breeze.

And the Customs/Immigration process at Galveston has always been extremely efficient. If you have a passport, the express line moves quickly, and you can get through and out the door in a few minutes. Taxis are right there as soon as you walk out the door.

That's been our experience with Galveston.

I was replying to the post from clackey. The cruise we are referring to was RC. And yes, they had a problem with their security camera system. We did wait outside in the heat for 2 hours and another hour inside the terminal because they would not let any passengers through until the security system started working. Also, RC does not have assigned check in times, so we did not arrive "early".

I was replying to the post from clackey. The cruise we are referring to was RC. And yes, they had a problem with their security camera system. We did wait outside in the heat for 2 hours and another hour inside the terminal because they would not let any passengers through until the security system started working. Also, RC does not have assigned check in times, so we did not arrive "early".

I saw that. We’re on a public forum and I read where a camera went down. After I questioned the post you changed it to the entire system went down.

Galveston does a tremendous job getting people on and off five cruise ships a week. Sorry you had a bad experience.