Travel Agency versus cruise deals

We are starting to research an Alaskan Cruise and tour. I already went to a well know travel agency. I thought the prices seemed high. I now see much lower prices with some of the cruise deal sites. I especially like Norwegian and Princess. It seems easier with the agency doing it all, but we are seniors and on a budget and don't want to pay more than we need. I have gotten some good suggestions, on this site, but haven't touched this area.

Be careful of some of those online sites (we can't mention names of agencies or agents) because there are some things that you'll find with them that you won't with other agencies. For example, it's against the policy of most cruise lines to allow travel agents to discount cruises. Their policy states that they must sell their cruises for the same price that the cruise line itself sells it for. So, if you're seeing a really big discount for the exact cruise in the exact cabin, it's probably that the agency is giving up their commission. But read the fine print from those agencies. Many times they have big cancellation fees or big fees for changing anything about the cruise. I'm not saying those online agencies are bad, but you have to know exactly what you're getting from them.

Go straight to the cruise line site. They will give you the best deal!!!:D

You don't have to book on-line, just give them a call and they will help you with the best price and all the discounts they have.

Ask a lot of questions, they have the answers... Good Luck:) C.G.

Be careful of some of those online sites (we can't mention names of agencies or agents) because there are some things that you'll find with them that you won't with other agencies. For example, it's against the policy of most cruise lines to allow travel agents to discount cruises. Their policy states that they must sell their cruises for the same price that the cruise line itself sells it for. So, if you're seeing a really big discount for the exact cruise in the exact cabin, it's probably that the agency is giving up their commission. But read the fine print from those agencies. Many times they have big cancellation fees or big fees for changing anything about the cruise. I'm not saying those online agencies are bad, but you have to know exactly what you're getting from them.

Just adding on--

If everything is exactly the same as kitty9 said then another reason why the fare is lower can be because the TA or TA's consortium has group space booked on a particular cruise.

For example I was at a trade show yesterday. A group was advertising a group cruise. Right now their fare is better than what I can get thru the cruiseline because they were able to lock in a price a while ago.

Always compare apples to apples-- What is included in each quote: exact cabin category, taxes & fees, gratuities etc. A guarantee balcony rate will not be the same as a rate where you can choose your specific cabin.

Go straight to the cruise line site. They will give you the best deal!!!:D

You don't have to book on-line, just give them a call and they will help you with the best price and all the discounts they have.

Ask a lot of questions, they have the answers... Good Luck:) C.G.

Agree with this. Also keep checking after you make your reservation. We ended up getting a huge discount on our last cruise because we are over 55. :)

You're going to LOVE Alaska. Some of my pics are in the link in my signature if you would like a peek at what you're in for. We went with Royal Caribbean so I can recommend them - 5 days on land and a 7 day cruise. Incredible trip.

I just booked our upcoming RC cruise over the weekend on a very popular travel website. The price was the same as RC; however, we got a $100 onboard credit, which RC is not offering.

I have used this site before for other travel, so I feel very comfortable booking with them. Also, our deposit is fully refundable until 9/8/12. (Not that we want that to happen:D)

You should always do a bit better booking with a TA than direct with a cruise line. OBC , gift , discount (if allowed) ,group rate , ect..

More expensive booking should result in even better offers.

If TA is merely quoting the same offer as the cruise line , move on .

Always interview your TA before booking as to their experience, fees & penalty (if any).

We are starting to research an Alaskan Cruise and tour. I already went to a well know travel agency. I thought the prices seemed high. I now see much lower prices with some of the cruise deal sites. I especially like Norwegian and Princess. It seems easier with the agency doing it all, but we are seniors and on a budget and don't want to pay more than we need. I have gotten some good suggestions, on this site, but haven't touched this area.

Normally, I go thru a particular online booking site, and get lots of extras, on board credits, or free insurance, or free gratuities. We cant mention web sites here, but there is alot of places that will compete (hint) for you cruise (hint) :)

Cruise prices should not be that far off from the cruiselines.

what you are seeing is probably cruise only price. now you have to add in the taxes/port charges.

Alasaka is a very expensive cruise to begin with. If its a once in a lifetime thing you really do not want to be scrimping for that vacation.

We use an agent-- because most times that agent will give us perks like free onboard credit or prepaid grats.

is there a reason you are not looking at the carnival cruise to alaska?

I used a cruise agent to book my first cruise from an online site. I used them because when I spoke to her she gave me so much information. After I started doing a lot more research I wish I had booked my cruise on my own. I found way more information on these boards, that wasnt told/explained to me by the agent.

I used a cruise agent to book my first cruise from an online site. I used them because when I spoke to her she gave me so much information. After I started doing a lot more research I wish I had booked my cruise on my own. I found way more information on these boards, that wasnt told/explained to me by the agent.

I wouldn't blame the agent from the online site. That happens to all 1st time cruisers. I have learned soooooooo much since my 1st cruise and I certainly didn't expect anyone to tell me everything I needed to know about cruising. That is just impossible. I still learn something new every week. If I didn't, I wouldn't need to cruise these boards every week. :)

I wouldn't blame the agent from the online site. That happens to all 1st time cruisers. I have learned soooooooo much since my 1st cruise and I certainly didn't expect anyone to tell me everything I needed to know about cruising. That is just impossible. I still learn something new every week. If I didn't, I wouldn't need to cruise these boards every week. :)

Yea, I keep cruising these boards, because they're so helpful.

We just booked a 5 day out of Miami.

We first shopped the Online vacation sites, and thought we had a great deal (Suite, OBC, and a free excurion) when we priced the same trip on the Cruise site, it was $400 cheaper!!

So don't fall for the "exclusive specials" -- do your homework!

Archived