?? about Auckland / Rotorua, NZ

Freckles_51

Is there an express bus that runs between Auckland airport and Rotorua - one that goes direct and non-stop (taking about 3 hours :), not 5 hours :() ?

If not, can anyone recommend private transfer for 4 adults with luggage?

For Rotorua:

Holiday Inn, Rotorua appears to be within walking distance of Te Puia. There appears to be a sidewalk along the main road. Would it be safe to walk this route after attending the Te Po evening performance?

Are there any restaurants within walking distance of the Holiday Inn?(in addition to the hotel restaurant).

You don't want to stop off and say hi to me on the way? [emoji6]

I did a search on intercity and mana bus and both can take around 4-6 hours as they do stop on the way.

Another option is taking a shuttle that goes from Rotorua to the airport and back. I don't know how much it would cost from there though. They do stop at a few places to pick up passengers but not nearly as many as a bus.

This is a good google search:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=rotorua+to+auckland+airport

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your response.

After 24 hours or so of air travel I think we will want to be at our destination in the least time possible time, 4-6 hours may be hard to take. :o

I will contact some shuttle companies to see how many stops and estimated time, but it looks like a more costly private transfer will be the way to go for us. I have found one - Luxury Airport Shuttles - would like a few more for comparison if anyone has a recommendation?

Any comment on my Rotorua/Holiday Inn questions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Sometimes I'm willing to pay more for convenience :p

I had checked for flights previously and found only 2 non-stop, one early morning that we might just miss, and one late afternoon that we would need to hang around and wait for, for hours.:(

That was the Saturday schedule. Looks like we could do better with a Friday arrival.

Right now I'm just looking at options...we're not going until April 2018 - yes I'm an obsessive planner :D :o.....I like to get an idea of options and, more importantly, work out a budget. :)

Obsessive planning is half the fun [emoji2]

I'm still several months out from mine and trying to decide on things.

And yes getting a direct nz domestic flight is bemusing. I went to Wellington last month and had to select very carefully so there were no stopovers. That was a 55 minute flight.

Friday arrival would be better as there's fewer flights on the weekends.

Thanks for your response.

After 24 hours or so of air travel I think we will want to be at our destination in the least time possible time, 4-6 hours may be hard to take. :o

I will contact some shuttle companies to see how many stops and estimated time, but it looks like a more costly private transfer will be the way to go for us. I have found one - Luxury Airport Shuttles - would like a few more for comparison if anyone has a recommendation?

Any comment on my Rotorua/Holiday Inn questions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks.

http://www.aerolink.nz/

Try these guys - I've booked them for our staff at work and have found them very good (though not from Auckland to Rotorua - we book a plane for that trip :) )

You need to be careful with regional flights into small airports in NZ. These flights are cancelled fairly often for example if the weather is bad. This is not like taking a jet to a proper airport. It would probably be okay but you'd not be able to guarantee this.

Another option would be to have a sleep at an Auckland airport hotel and then take a rental car down early the next morning. The drive is easy on good roads and if you set off nice and early you'd miss any traffic in Auckland (which would be minimal in that direction anyway). You would then be able to get around to all of the tourist locations in Rotorua that will otherwise be hard or expensive to get to.

Thanks for the additional info.

I had considered an overnight stay in Auckland. There is a tour from Auckland that includes the Waitomo Caves and Hobbiton, with Rotorua dropoff. :)

My only concern is that we will arrive in Auckland early-to-mid morning after a long haul flight. If we have to sit around for hours waiting to check in to the hotel, we may as well be on our way ;)

You do not want me to be driving though...on the wrong side of the road :eek:.

I can understand why you don't want to drive.

And the poster about flights is correct. The plane to Rotorua would be a smaller one. Basically a no frills bus in the sky.

Maybe you should research hotels in Auckland, particularly near the airport? They may have more flexible check in times because of the fact people fly in at all hours. It would depend also if you wanted to look around Auckland.

I can understand why you don't want to drive.

And the poster about flights is correct. The plane to Rotorua would be a smaller one. Basically a no frills bus in the sky.

Maybe you should research hotels in Auckland, particularly near the airport? They may have more flexible check in times because of the fact people fly in at all hours. It would depend also if you wanted to look around Auckland.

Thanks for your help. I'll do a bit more research. :)

I stayed overnight at the Jet Park Hotel near Auckland's airport, and then drove to Rotorua the next day. I would recommend the restaurant at Skyline Rotorua. Great dinner buffet. The street luge there is fun too.

Edited by leongcpa

I stayed overnight at the Jet Park Hotel near Auckland's airport, and then drove to Rotorua the next day. I would recommend the restaurant at Skyline Rotorua. Great dinner buffet. The street luge there is fun too.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind :)