Getaway suite price changes

david_sobe

NCL is catching on and realizing some of their prices for what they offered did not make sense. I just realized the basic suite prices have changed.

When I booked Getaway, the forward penthouse was the cheapest suite on the ship. I flirted with a spa suite but with 100 more square feet I booked the penthouse. I added $400 for spa passes and the penthouse then was equal to the spa suite price. Then I was offered $18 more per person per day to upgrade to the Haven Penthouse. This suite just looked like a fancy balcony cabin to me so I stuck with the forward penthouse.

So the pricing was Haven Penthouse most expensive, then Spa Suite, and Forward Penthouse the cheapest.

But I think with the popularity of the forward penthouse and its size things have flipped. Now the Haven Spa Suite is the cheapest suite on the ship followed by the Haven Penthouse. The forward penthouse went from the cheapest suite to now the 3rd least expensive suite on the ship.

I could "upgrade" to a Haven Penthouse and save almost $400. Being in the Haven is nice but is it really an upgrade? The Haven penthouse is much smaller and does not even have a separate tub and shower. It also has no dining area, dining table and has a standard balcony sink in the bathroom. Several months ago, NCL wanted $36 more per day for this suite. So I guess it is no longer the upgrade.

Edited by david_sobe

I agree. Looking at the price drops for suites on the Getaway (and to a certain extent, the Breakaway), I think NCL misjudged the perceived advantage of being in the Haven itself. I think they thought that people would pay more for a smaller room (like the Courtyard PH or the Spa Suite) for the advantage of having pretty much direct access to the Haven (or the Spa). But, I think people surprised them by favoring the larger rooms and/or balconies of the Aft and Forward PH's, even if that means having to walk longer distances to get to the Haven itself.

Most of the cruises I have watched, the Aft and Forward PH's have little or no price drop and, in fact, often show price increases. But the Courtyard and Spa suites are struggling a bit.

The issue doesn't seem to be quite as bad on the Breakaway and I wonder if it is the difference in weather. If I were sailing out of a cold weather port, easy access to the Haven (and the covered pool area) might be more important than a little more room or a bigger balcony.

I could "upgrade" to a Haven Penthouse and save almost $400. Being in the Haven is nice but is it really an upgrade? The Haven penthouse is much smaller and does not even have a separate tub and shower. It also has no dining area, dining table and has a standard balcony sink in the bathroom. Several months ago, NCL wanted $36 more per day for this suite. So I guess it is no longer the upgrade.

The Haven penthouses (S5s) have a larger balcony than the Forward penthouses (S7s). Not by much, but larger enough to have room for a lounger if you ask for it (according to a review). For balcony-lovers (like us), this might be a very important factor.

The Haven penthouses (S5s) have a larger balcony than the Forward penthouses (S7s). Not by much, but larger enough to have room for a lounger if you ask for it (according to a review). For balcony-lovers (like us), this might be a very important factor.

I saw the video of the Haven penthouse. I think you would have to be a magician to get a lounger on the balcony. It looks like it may be inches larger than the other cabins.

But if anyone booked a spa suite or penthouse suite last year for Getaway...check the prices, you probably can take the price drop and save some $$$$$.

Edited by david_sobe

So prices for the Haven Spa Suite dropped for my 3/1 sailing, and obviously did so since the final payment date. I specifically remember looking at those suites for the heck of it and seeing it would cost well over $5k for my wife and I, and at that time about 3 or 4 of those suites were taken/purchased. However, when read the OPs post last night and, looked again, apparently several had bee sold. So for those who paid over $5k a few months ago, and then NCL doesn't just drop prices but clearly changes the pricing structure, they saw the price for F their cabin drop a massive $2,000 approx. I would have to imagine that NCL would almost have to do something to take care of those people, because if it was me I think my head would explode with rage!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

David, I have to agree with you. Our forward penthouse suite was the cheapest

when we booked on the Breakaway. I loved this suite. The penthouse suites

were the least popular and the last to sell. In my opinion they look like just

a extra large balcony, nothing special just suite perks.

Elaine

Something else that I noticed recently is that when you do a search the Haven Spa suites do not show up on the NCL website. The first suites are the penthouses. When I look on other sites, the spa suites are offered.

I noticed that too but it is because NCL put the spa suites under the Spa section. You get several spa choices there. Makes sense.

Wow... there was just another price drop on our upcoming cruise on Norwegian Getaway!

We're booked in an S9 Haven Spa Balcony cabin. We booked in January at $4400, there was a price drop a few weeks ago to $3600, and another price drop today to $3000... plus a $300 onboard credit. NCL could not have been nicer about making the price adjustments both times I've called about it.

The moral of the story is to constantly watch for price drops... up until the point at which you make your final payment. After final payment is made, you're locked in.

To check for price drops, first bring up your booking summary or look at your cruise documents to verify the price you paid. Then, do a mock booking for the exact same category of cabin on the exact same sail date. If your mock booking comes in at a lower price than your actual booking, give NCL a call and request an adjustment.

Edited by Spaniel Lover

I saw the video of the Haven penthouse. I think you would have to be a magician to get a lounger on the balcony. It looks like it may be inches larger than the other cabins.

But if anyone booked a spa suite or penthouse suite last year for Getaway...check the prices, you probably can take the price drop and save some $$$$$.

According to this review, it should be possible.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=222355

For our cruise the Forward-facing penthouse (S7) is 650$ pp more than the Haven penthouse (S5), so I will put my trust in magic until I see a pricedrop.

Wow... there was just another price drop on our upcoming cruise on Norwegian Getaway!

We're booked in an S9 Haven Spa Balcony cabin. We booked in January at $4400, there was a price drop a few weeks ago to $3600, and another price drop today to $3000... plus a $300 onboard credit. NCL could not have been nicer about making the price adjustments both times I've called about it.

The moral of the story is to constantly watch for price drops... up until the point at which you make your final payment. After final payment is made, you're locked in.

To check for price drops, first bring up your booking summary or look at your cruise documents to verify the price you paid. Then, do a mock booking for the exact same category of cabin on the exact same sail date. If your mock booking comes in at a lower price than your actual booking, give NCL a call and request an adjustment.

Thanks to this thread I just looked into the Spa Suite prices and upgraded my BD Balcony (which I had already upgraded to from a IC Inside) to an S9 Spa Suite. It pays to read CC...

Now if it drops before July I am really going to be happy...