Zuiderdam- overall impression? Can we get a dining table for two w/ fixed dining?

Dreams42Day

I am thinking about booking a Panama Canal cruise on the HAL Zuiderdam. The reviews of this ship are concerning. A theme of outdated /boring/sub par food seems to be occurring. Does anyone have an impression of this ship? Also. would we be able to book a table for two for fixed dining? We would prefer not to sit with others and we like the fixed dining option. Any help is appreciated!!

I am thinking about booking a Panama Canal cruise on the HAL Zuiderdam. The reviews of this ship are concerning. A theme of outdated /boring/sub par food seems to be occurring. Does anyone have an impression of this ship? Also. would we be able to book a table for two for fixed dining? We would prefer not to sit with others and we like the fixed dining option. Any help is appreciated!!

We spent 40 days on the Zuiderdam from mid April to the end of May this year. Food is so subjective, but we didn't have any problems finding something we liked 95% of the time in the MDR. There's always the Lido if you're not happy with the selection.

I have to say this was our best cruise. The staff on the ship were outstanding. The Captain and officers were alway there to greet you as you left the ship and arrived back after a day of touring.

You should have no problem getting a table for 2 in fixed dining. make sure you put in your request early.

I am thinking about booking a Panama Canal cruise on the HAL Zuiderdam. The reviews of this ship are concerning. A theme of outdated /boring/sub par food seems to be occurring. Does anyone have an impression of this ship? Yes, I do - Zuiderdam's flamboyant decor is not for everyone, but I love it. For me, Z'dam is anything but boring & outdated, and on both of our cruises on her Z'dam's food was as good as we have had on any of the other 12 or so HAL ships on which we have sailed. Also. would we be able to book a table for two for fixed dining? I believe you can request a table for 2 for fixed dining but suspect that your request may not be granted if the ship is full and/or there are some large groups on the same cruise. To be certain, however, I suggest you (or your TA) contact HAL Ship Services directly. We would prefer not to sit with others and we like the fixed dining option. I'm with you 100% on this - our solution is to use Open Dining at a 2-top. This also gives us more time flexibility, while also avoiding dinner with people with whom we would rather not share time. Any help is appreciated!! Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

See my responses in BLUE above.

We've sailed Zuiderdam twice - and are looking forward to our third time later this month. We have always found HAL's MDR food and service to be superior to that on other mass market lines- though admittedly not quite up to the standards of past decades.

If you want choice of table size at assigned dining your best bet is to book your cruise early.

Generally, you should read a wide range of reviews and pay more attention to those which seem to have written by people whose interests are not unlike yours.

We are on Zuiderdam right now. We were waitlisted for a table for two early seating. By the time we embarked, we had the table. My experience is pursuing this issue even after you board is usually successful. On our previous HAL cruise, I met with the dining room staff right after embarkation and we had our preferred table by night two. We did not book early, we just persisted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How does one request a table for two in fixed dining?

Can one request a specific table?

We've never done traditional but are considering the idea but only if we can get a two top.

When you make your booking, you will be asked to choose either Open or Fixed dining. Choose Fixed and specify either Early or Late dining and also that you want a table for 2. If you know which tables you might like, you can make a request through your TA. Some people have been successful with these table requests. If you don't get your request, you can always go and talk to the DRM as soon as you get on board and see if anything can be done.