San Pedro to LAX - Transfer or Taxi?

Thrak

Wondering which way to go. We will need to get from the port in LA to LAX. The flight time isn't tight so that isn't an issue. Just wondering if we should take a taxi or a Princess transfer would be the better idea. I guess we had a transfer once when we did our connieusseur cruise tour but I don't recall what the cost was for that. I suppose there must be a Super Shuttle option as well? Really not at all sure. We've only sailed out of LA once before and we drove down that time so we've never dealt with the trip to the airport.

i live in lala-land so i've not personally driven from cruiseport to airport. but that said i do have opinions! taxi, lyft, uber, supershuttle, prime shuttle are all options. i have no preference to give you on what to choose, they all have merits. i've been using lyft recently.

keep in mind there is currently construction happening at lax affecting the u shaped entrance for LAX and causing traffic snarls. http://www.lawa.org/laxdev/RoadAlerts.aspx

also pay attention to your terminal, there is a cut through to get from one side of the u to the other, but the airlines all played terminal swap earlier this year and i have hear friends complain of arguing with taxi/uber drivers about which terminal they need. your driver may not know the correct terminal anymore.

https://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/LAX%20Airline%20Location%20Map.pdf

my parents ended up opting for the princess transfer. i can comment on how well that works in january, but looks like that won't be in time to help you.

We prebooked Supershuttle last year off Island Princess. Fine, got to LAX in one piece from San Pedro.:D

I think many of those shuttle drivers were Formula 1 racing drivers at some stage in their life.

We did a shared Uber with another couple that we met after we landed in LA.

We ended up staying at same hotel pre cruise. We did Uber to pier and then to airport. Very timely and they ordered larger vehicle. Had noonish flight home and still had time for lunch before boarding.

We've gone from the San Pedro terminal to LAX many times. We've done the Princess transfers, used Supershuttle, taken a town car, and just yesterday took a taxi. We don't do uber or lyft.

Princess transfers - if you are on a early flight and get the first bus we've found they don't wait for the bus to fill. It seems it left around maybe 9:00ish to get us early folks to the airport. We've found if we're on the second bus on it does wait for the bus to fill as there isn't as much of a hurry because of flight times. Yesterday Princess transfers were $39 each.

Supershuttle- we've prearranged and also have just walked up to get a ride. It waits for the van to fill which doesn't take long. Cheaper than Princess transfer but as hubby can no longer climb in and out of a van no longer an option for us.

Town car - easy but more expensive.

Taxi - The Princess disembarkation paperwork had said a taxi would be approximately $70. Yesterday we had no traffic backups to keep the meter ticking away so ours was only $60. The taxi driver took the cuthrough vampiress mentioned and it shaved off some time, too.

We used Super Shuttle in March - prebooked, because we needed a vehicle that would accomodate my friend's scooter. We were the only two people in the van.

Idahospud - they have a lift on the HC accessible vehicles that your husband can simply stand on to get in and out of the van (that's what I had to do). Not the most ideal situation, but it would give you an option to use Super Shuttle again.

Our experience in January with SuperShuttle at San Pedro leads us to say "never again." There was no organization upon boarding the van at the pier--more of a "who can push their way to the front of the line" mentality. Don't want to go through that again.

Our last experience with a Princess transfer (at a different port) wasn't much better: Wait in a line for boarding the bus and then sit on the bus waiting for it to finally leave. Driver didn't much care if passengers were dropped off at the proper terminal, and we worried about some who weren't paying attention themselves.

I'm traveling to Seattle this weekend to board the Ruby and will use Uber for the first time. More expensive than the Princess shuttle (especially for a solo traveler) but I will be in control of the situation. Looking forward to the new experience.

There's lots of discussion about this on the West Coast Departures board.

We use Super shuttle. IMHO, they are the best option. Taxi is too expensive, and the Princess transfer is on a big bus and a hassle getting your luggage off the bus. Use the Princess transfer once and never again! BTW, with the Princess transfer, you're herded into a lounge to wait and wait and wait. No thanks. You can book a Super Shuttle right on line, walk down to the Super Shuttle loading area and you're off. They drop you off at your airline. Very easy!

Our experience in January with SuperShuttle at San Pedro leads us to say "never again." There was no organization upon boarding the van at the pier--more of a "who can push their way to the front of the line" mentality. Don't want to go through that again.

Our last experience with a Princess transfer (at a different port) wasn't much better: Wait in a line for boarding the bus and then sit on the bus waiting for it to finally leave. Driver didn't much care if passengers were dropped off at the proper terminal, and we worried about some who weren't paying attention themselves.

I'm traveling to Seattle this weekend to board the Ruby and will use Uber for the first time. More expensive than the Princess shuttle (especially for a solo traveler) but I will be in control of the situation. Looking forward to the new experience.

There's lots of discussion about this on the West Coast Departures board.

For Seattle, check out Seattle Express. I've used them twice as a solo cruiser and have had great service.

Wondering which way to go. We will need to get from the port in LA to LAX. The flight time isn't tight so that isn't an issue. Just wondering if we should take a taxi or a Princess transfer would be the better idea. I guess we had a transfer once when we did our connieusseur cruise tour but I don't recall what the cost was for that. I suppose there must be a Super Shuttle option as well? Really not at all sure. We've only sailed out of LA once before and we drove down that time so we've never dealt with the trip to the airport.

I wouldn't do a cab because the price could be horrible if there's a traffic problem and they do happen often. I've used SuperShuttle and Prime for shared ride and both are fine. I usually just go out and ask them to get me on the shuttle. You can pre-book. I don't do uber and lyft. I guess I should try it sometime. If I have a lot of non-refundable OBC I will sometimes book a Princess transfer. I usually have a late flight and I'm in no hurry. The transfer has worked fine for me. There is no EZ Check in LAX, so you do have to handle your own luggage.

This past October we coordinated a ride (San Pedro to LAX) with two other couples from our roll call. We made reservations for a dedicated van through Super Shuttle. I think the cost was about $24 per couple which included the tip. There was a Super Shuttle representative right outside of the terminal and we had our shuttle in less than 5 minutes.

I would use neither. Earlier this year I used UBER & it was great both ways. A tip for UBER, call the driver & tell him what you are wearing. This helped a lot as there were many people at LAX waiting & the driver thanked me for the information.

Tom😎

Supper shuttle is best.

I prepaid for either the super or prime shuttle several years ago. our flight was delayed several times so we were several hours late. no shuttle at the stop. I called and was told he would be there shortly. We waited over an hour and stopped several of the shuttles - none of them were ours. About two hours later, one driver said our guy went home. He said he was on his way home and even though our hotel was out of his way, he would take us.

No way will I prebook a shuttle again.