Nieuw Amsterdam (Eastern Caribbean) vs. Eurodam (Western Caribbean)?

michelleandpaul

Hello!

We have decided to take a cruise next month for our anniversary & I was hoping to get some input. I initially was not considering Holland, but they have excellent reviews & great prices. It also looks like we would be avoiding a lot of the crazy kid fun on the other cruise lines! We have narrowed it down to the following options:

Nieuw Amsterdam - Eastern Caribbean (Turks & Caicos, San Juan, St. Thomas, Half Moon Bay)

Eurodam - Western Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Key West).

I'm sure both of them would be fantastic, but I am struggling to make a decision. The Amsterdam is $100 more per person, so the prices are pretty similar. The Amsterdam is a newer ship, but I was wondering if anyone has cruised on both ships & could tell me their opinions & which one they preferred. Is the entertainment better on the Amsterdam? Pools & pool areas?

Regarding the itineraries, I have been to Jamaica & Grand Cayman before, but never to Turks & Caicos, San Juan, or St. Thomas. We love to snorkel, so I was wondering if any of those locations compare to Grand Cayman.

I would appreciate any suggestions! We'll be leaving in just a couple of weeks, so I've got to pull the trigger soon!

Thanks!

The two ships are virtual twins, with no real difference. Yes, if you read down the board, there will be people who like one over the other, but having sailed both, there really is very little difference.

Based on route, I would take the N. Amsterdam route.

The ships are virtual twins. However, the ports are not. I would opt for the Nieuw Amsterdam. The Amsterdam, BTW, is a smaller ship...that does more unique itineraries.

OP is looking at the Nieuw Amsterdam.

OP just forgot to put Nieuw in front of Amsterdam. I think OP doesn't realize that there are different ships with almost the same name.

Hello!

We have decided to take a cruise next month for our anniversary & I was hoping to get some input. I initially was not considering Holland, but they have excellent reviews & great prices. It also looks like we would be avoiding a lot of the crazy kid fun on the other cruise lines! We have narrowed it down to the following options:

Nieuw Amsterdam - Eastern Caribbean (Turks & Caicos, San Juan, St. Thomas, Half Moon Bay)

Eurodam - Western Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Key West).

I'm sure both of them would be fantastic, but I am struggling to make a decision. The Amsterdam is $100 more per person, so the prices are pretty similar. The Amsterdam is a newer ship, but I was wondering if anyone has cruised on both ships & could tell me their opinions & which one they preferred. Is the entertainment better on the Amsterdam? Pools & pool areas?

Regarding the itineraries, I have been to Jamaica & Grand Cayman before, but never to Turks & Caicos, San Juan, or St. Thomas. We love to snorkel, so I was wondering if any of those locations compare to Grand Cayman.

I would appreciate any suggestions! We'll be leaving in just a couple of weeks, so I've got to pull the trigger soon!

Thanks!

We have been on both ships and find them both very nice. We are booked for the Western itinerary that you are considering only because they are all new stops for us, except for HMC. Otherwise we would choose the eastern itinerary as we never seem to have enough time in San Juan.

Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I just booked the Nieuw Amsterdam, based on the itinerary. I am so excited!!!

For those of you who have been to San Juan, can you please let me know what activities you would suggest. We are scheduled to be there from 1 - 11pm.

El Morro is a very nice way to spend the afternoon. It is a nice walk up and back. We have also visited El Younge rain forest and that too us a very nice way to spend the afternoon.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thx for the info on the forest. I'm tossing that shorex around.

The layout is pretty much the same, as they are sister ships. The Nieuw Amsterdam is a Manhattan theme, and the Eurodam is more old world Dutch.

We have done the eastern Carribean for the last 3cruises, but will be doing the western in Dec. We can't wait to see Key West. Half Moon Cay has great snorkeling