st.Lucia

jcool

That is one place that I would not consider for a second to rent a car.

The roads in many/most places are narrow, steep and or winding, and they drive fast there too. Few sidewalks, and you have to dodge pedestrians and bikes and other traffic, not to mention goats etc. It is a beautiful island though, so personally I would prefer to do a tour, so I could take in the scenery, and leave the driving to someone who is accustomed to driving there.

Just my opinion though. If you do, hope you have nerves of steel:)

The roads in many/most places are narrow, steep and or winding, and they drive fast there too. Few sidewalks, and you have to dodge pedestrians and bikes and other traffic, not to mention goats etc. It is a beautiful island though, so personally I would prefer to do a tour, so I could take in the scenery, and leave the driving to someone who is accustomed to driving there.

I agree with this. Do a tour.

If you want to just see the island, get off the ship and negotiate with one of the private tour operators at the dock for a driver to take you around. They can be reasonable. Especially if you can find a few people to go with you .. it reduces the "per person" cost.

Well said! I wouldn't consider renting a car for these exact reasons.

:eek: Yeah, I agree with all the others, this is one island I would not rent a car, especially if they drive reverse of the US. Four of us rented a car in St. John a few years ago and my husband drove for the day. St. John is a very easy island to navigate, however, it is reversed of the US for driving patterns since they drive on the opposite side and my husband was exhausted by the end. We still joke about it. Yet, if you are adventurous, go for it.