Beaches and taxis

mostly they have both lexie mini buses and cars, often you will find taxi boss guy? organising people into groups on mini buses or couples into cars

on the more mountainous islands (dominica/tortola/grenada) they seem to have more mini bus taxis (I guess they cope better with the steep roads)

barbados/antigua/st lucia mostly cars

yes a small tip would be welcomed (a couple of dollars depending on time/distance)

beaches on st kitts are not the greatest (gritty) south frigate bay is the nearest, north frigate bay is on the atlantic side (surfy) south friars bay a little further on and cockleshell bay further on some more, most beaches have beach bars/shacks, sunbeds, vendors etc v easy to get a taxi to any of them from the port and the driver will come back for you (reliable)

nice duty free shopping in the port terminal and a bar with flat screen tv (cricket)

oh.... and i will just mention (while we are on the subject of st kitts)

when in st kitts...please dont pet the baby monkeys...not just because the owners will charge you.... ($10) for a photo taken with your own camera....there are many concerns about the conditions these baby monkeys are kept in? they are taken from the wild and kept in cages....(too many kittians monkeys are little more than pests/vermin)

Edited by geomagot

Try a company called 'Rose & Jim' - we found them at the port in St Kitts and Rose was a great tour guide. Rose is from Leeds and Jim is from St Kitts. They know all there is to know about the island and had a small bus so there were 8 of us on the trip. Rose took us to some lovely places and let us agree how much time we wanted at each place. http://www.roseandjimstaxi.com

I would recommend cockle shell beach, it is lovely

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

None of the beaches are great but Cockleshell is the best of a badish bunch. Saying that, we do have a great time on St Kitts. On the last couple of visits, we have gone to South Friers beach, it is closer to the port and I love watching the wild monkeys feed by the Shipwreck bar.

Terry

Edited by hammers