Windy on deck?

eliminnowp

Winnifer, I don't think I have ever seen the 'pony pouf' or 'bun spiral' before. I have seen the other spirals but have no idea how to use them. Any clues for this poor, ignorant, Brit? :D

I wish I could offer some elucidation, but unfortunately I've not seen the pony pouf before, and never tried the bun spiral. I was picturing the little spin pins when I originally posted, and found that picture on Google Images. From what I can see, the bun spiral seems to go over the bun, but I'm not sure how that secures it. And the pony pouf... no idea! haha Sorry about that! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Generally speaking the ship will give you an instant twenty knot wind plus whStever the weather is throwing st you

Newer ships are designed well with lots of baffles to reduce being flattened from the wind tunnel effect on deck

Wear suitable clothes for windy areas ie no flowing skirts and something to hold your hair

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Generally speaking the ship will give you an instant twenty knot wind plus whStever the weather is throwing st you

Newer ships are designed well with lots of baffles to reduce being flattened from the wind tunnel effect on deck

Wear suitable clothes for windy areas ie no flowing skirts and something to hold your hair

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely not true at all!

Remember my earlier post on vector mathematics. If you are going 20 knots INTO a 20 knot wind, the wind speeds on you are additive so the effective wind on your face is 40 knots.

If you are going 20 knots in the same direction as a 20 knot wind, the wind speeds on you are subtractive so the effective wind on your face is zero.

At any angle between these 2 directions, the effective wind will be something between these values. You can easily determine what the actual value value will be by drawing simple vector diagrams.

DON

Absolutely not true at all!

Remember my earlier post on vector mathematics. If you are going 20 knots INTO a 20 knot wind, the wind speeds on you are additive so the effective wind on your face is 40 knots.

If you are going 20 knots in the same direction as a 20 knot wind, the wind speeds on you are subtractive so the effective wind on your face is zero.

At any angle between these 2 directions, the effective wind will be something between these values. You can easily determine what the actual value value will be by drawing simple vector diagrams.

DON

Well put - but of course there will always be some who won't understand. The only factor you might add is the speed at which a passenger might jog - perhaps five mph- which would have to be added and subtracted as they rounded the forward and aft ends of the jogging track.

You are actually asking about the "relative" wind over the decks. This is just a factor based on the speed and course of your ship vs the speed and direction of the wind. So if the real,wind was blowing at 20 Knots and it was blowing towards the bow of your ship which was moving at 20 knots, you would have. a 40 knot wind over the decks. But turn the ship around and you would have zero wind.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well put - but of course there will always be some who won't understand. The only factor you might add is the speed at which a passenger might jog - perhaps five mph- which would have to be added and subtracted as they rounded the forward and aft ends of the jogging track.

Can't figure out why some people do not understand simple vector math. LOL!!

However, some people can't figure out simple math at all. Witness the people on CC who have trouble with currency exchange rates.

I am from the old school (or old fart school) who feels that people should not be allowed to use a calculator until they have figured out how to use an abacus, log tables and a slide rule. I still have all the slide rules I have ever owned including my circular slide rule. Some day I would like to buy a Curta calculator but they are so so expensive. Anybody remember any of those.

DON

Edited by donaldsc