cruise checkin confidentiality questions

seagoat338

Ok, I've been on a cruise before, but do not recall the specifics on check-in as it has been a while.

I'm traveling with my brand new girlfriend who is younger then me. I've not lied about my age to her, as she knows I'm older then her, I just don't think she knows, "how much older" :) and for the time being, I'd like to keep it that way.

So my question is, when you check in, is you birthdate, name, address and all other personal information blurted out loud by the person checking you in? If so, any suggestions on how to avoid this? I recall walking up to the counter, giving a credit card and showing proper ID, passport etc. But do they repeat stuff back to you, like, "Kevin Williams, your birthdate is...."

I think you get the idea. This might seem trivial, but it's important to me. If they do say you personal info for her to hear, any suggestions on how I might avoid this scenario.

Thanks!

Try being more honest.:cool:

Um, well first this is not a relationship forum and second, it is not a matter of honesty, the topic of my age has just not came up. Tom imply a lack of honesty, as your response does, means I would have had to have been "dishonest" which I have not. But thanks for the advise!

Anyone else know the answers to my questions?

Thanks!

Edited by seagoat338

I just looked at my Express Pass that I printed for our upcoming Celebrity Cruise and I do not see any of our Birthdays listed on the passes. I did have to enter them when doing the Online Check-in, but they don't seem to print out, at least on Celebrity.

I can't say for sure if there were any verbal questions from the Agent on our last cruise that pertained to age or birthday, but I don't believe there were.

No...they are not going to announce your age! But, keeping that secret is sort of creepy...not a good way to start a relationship, unless this isn't an actual "relationship", and it's just a dalliance.

Edited by cb at sea

O

I think you get the idea. This might seem trivial, but it's important to me. If they do say you personal info for her to hear, any suggestions on how I might avoid this scenario.

Thanks!

if you are not willing to be honest with her about this then what ELSE are you keeping from here?

age is a number. if the relationship is solid the gap should not be an issue. I'd be MORE peeved at you going out of your way to hide the information than finding out you were 30 years older.

but to answer the question unless he gets a hold of your passport and reads it closely they are not going to provide the information or ask you to

Um, well first this is not a relationship forum and second, it is not a matter of honesty, the topic of my age has just not came up. Tom imply a lack of honesty, as your response does, means I would have had to have been "dishonest" which I have not. But thanks for the advise!

Anyone else know the answers to my questions?

Thanks!

but that is how I see it and how she might a s well. it is one thing to have it 'not come up' in casual conversation and quite another to look for ways to NOT have her find out

if you are not willing to be honest with her about this then what ELSE are you keeping from here?

age is a number. if the relationship is solid the gap should not be an issue. I'd be MORE peeved at you going out of your way to hide the information than finding out you were 30 years older.

but to answer the question unless he gets a hold of your passport and reads it closely they are not going to provide the information or ask you to

We just met a month ago. She knows I'm older. She's 24, I'm 38. She guessed my age one night over drinks at 33. She likes older more mature men. We are a match made in heaven in every way. I never set out to date younger women, we just clicked and it happened. Yeah, she will know soon enough and I will tell her. But finding out at the cruise check in stand is not the way I want it to come out.

Edited by seagoat338

I've only been on one cruise, and they did not announce my DOB at check-in, but even if they do, most people don't immediately start doing mental gymnastics to try and calculate your age, especially since 33 and 38 are not that far apart. And even if she does like doing math in her head much more than an average person, so what? Why does it matter how she finds it out, if you think that she likes older men and would not care anyway? If it is something that doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter how the information is presented to her.

Seriously?:rolleyes:

If the OP wanted relationship advice he would have asked for it.

We just met a month ago. She knows I'm older. She's 24, I'm 38. She guessed my age one night over drinks at 33. She likes older more mature men. We are a match made in heaven in every way. I never set out to date younger women, we just clicked and it happened. Yeah, she will know soon enough and I will tell her. But finding out at the cruise check in stand is not the way I want it to come out.

Cruise Critic would be the place for that.:cool:

:D:D I was 24 when I met my now-husband, who was 40 at that time. We'll be celebrating our 40th anniversary in December. If it's meant to be, it will be. I do understand you not wanting it to come out at the check-in stand, and I seriously doubt that it will. Have fun!

You just met a month ago and you are taking her on a cruise???? Can you say 'sugar daddy'. :rolleyes:

Let's hope you are still together by the time the cruise rolls around. :eek:

Seagoat338 you will be fine. I am an Immigration Officer and due to that information being extremely sensitive PII (personally idendifiable information) that is not something that should or would be blurted out and any Immigration or Customs officer even from another country doing that would most likely get into big trouble. They are all over our A** about that ALL the time... That is a huge no no... You will be fine, and don't worry about the age thing.. My Dad remarried my stepmom and she was much much younger, actually she is only 7 years older than me, they have been married for 33 years now, he is 70 and she is 53. ;)

Cruise Critic would be the place for that.:cool:

You think she might be a member or at least a lurker here?? That would make an interesting conversation. "I was checking our Cruise Critic today and I saw....."

you have known her a month and you are taking a crusie toigether>? sorry that IS creepy. still sounds like you are ashamed of something if you are embarressed when/where she finds it out.

you have known her a month and you are taking a crusie toigether>? sorry that IS creepy. still sounds like you are ashamed of something if you are embarressed when/where she finds it out.

Two people that thoroughly enjoy each others' company is "creepy". And they are going on a cruise together?

I guess I might be a creep.

Wow.

Seagoat338 you will be fine. I am an Immigration Officer and due to that information being extremely sensitive PII (personally idendifiable information) that is not something that should or would be blurted out and any Immigration or Customs officer even from another country doing that would most likely get into big trouble. They are all over our A** about that ALL the time... That is a huge no no... You will be fine, and don't worry about the age thing.. My Dad remarried my stepmom and she was much much younger, actually she is only 7 years older than me, they have been married for 33 years now, he is 70 and she is 53. ;)

There are no Immigration or Customs officers at cruise check in, so these assurances are empty. Anyway, it is highly unlikely that the check in personnel would say anything beyond "have a great cruise". Probably your greatest risk would be if your partner playfully grabbed your passport. To look at your picture - just keep a close hold on it - without attracting suspicion.

I once broke up with a guy because he lied to me about his age. And only by about 6 years.

Wouldn't have mattered if he lied by 6 years or 60. The problem was...He was a LIAR.

You can not be trusted, I hope your girlfriend reads this thread and/or your cruise docs. :mad:

It makes me sad that so many people here are supporting you in your dishonesty. My heart goes out to your probably soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend

Edited by Lerin