Hobart question for train buffs

Hoiiip

In February the Princess Diamond will be in Hobart between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. I would like to visit the Tasmanian Transport Museum but also do one of the cruise excursions as well. We planned on the Port Arthur Historic Site tour but that's 7 hours long and I won't have enough time to do both. Are there shorter, private tours of Port Arthur?

In February the Princess Diamond will be in Hobart between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. I would like to visit the Tasmanian Transport Museum but also do one of the cruise excursions as well. We planned on the Port Arthur Historic Site tour but that's 7 hours long and I won't have enough time to do both. Are there shorter, private tours of Port Arthur?

You can hire a rental car in Hobart and do both yourself. All the main rental companies are within a 30 minute walking distance from the pier. Suggest you do Port Arthur first. Return travel to Port Arthur is well within the time span at about 3 hours.

What's the availability of taxicabs at the museum? I won't have a cell phone with me.

http://www.metrotas.com.au/uploads/file/HBT%20Timetables/04%202012%20April/MetroTas_Timetable_GlenorchyAllStops_APR12.pdf

If you walk the couple of short blocks up to the Main Bus Terminus,which is opposite the Tasmanian Visitors Centre,(your moments away)You can catch a bus and its right near the Glenorchy Mall and Main Bus Stop.So easy.

I have actually hired a train from them years back.They are a great Volunteer crowd.

Enjoy

http://www.metrotas.com.au/uploads/file/HBT%20Timetables/04%202012%20April/MetroTas_Timetable_GlenorchyAllStops_APR12.pdf

If you walk the couple of short blocks up to the Main Bus Terminus,which is opposite the Tasmanian Visitors Centre,(your moments away)You can catch a bus and its right near the Glenorchy Mall and Main Bus Stop.So easy.

I have actually hired a train from them years back.They are a great Volunteer crowd.

Enjoy

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I live in Hobart.

The transport Museum is run by volunteers and is only open saturdays, sundays and public holidays from 1pm to 5pm. The 1st and 3rd sundays of the month there are steam trains rides and the museum open from 11am those days.

As others have said a bus from the Hobart Bus Mall to the Glenorchy Bus Mall would be much cheaper than a taxi, around $3 each way per person.

Hope this helps.

If you have any other questions about Hobart I should be able to help :-)

We have rented a car for the day and have tickets for Port Arthur. On the way back we would like to visit Tasman National park. Does it cost anything to see Tasman arch, the blowhole, and Devils kitchen? Are all of these places easy to walk to from the car lot?

I have allowed some extra time to visit a few top sights in Hobart, such as Rosny point hill, sandy bay lookout, battery point, and Mount nelson. My question is would it be better to see all these places or see mount wellington. We will not have time to visit many of the other places if we see Mount Wellington because it is a longer drive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steph

For those of you planning to visit Port Arthur and more, don't leave yourself too little time at Port Arthur. As already mentioned, the total drive time to Port Arthur and back to Hobart will be around 3 hours. You should allow at least 3, and preferably 4 or more, hours to visit Port Arthur. We spent around 4.5 hours there and left only because it was closing time. We could easily have spent another hour or so there.

Port Arthur is not the sort of place that you can see in an hour or two.

We have rented a car for the day and have tickets for Port Arthur. On the way back we would like to visit Tasman National park. Does it cost anything to see Tasman arch, the blowhole, and Devils kitchen? Are all of these places easy to walk to from the car lot?

I have allowed some extra time to visit a few top sights in Hobart, such as Rosny point hill, sandy bay lookout, battery point, and Mount nelson. My question is would it be better to see all these places or see mount wellington. We will not have time to visit many of the other places if we see Mount Wellington because it is a longer drive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steph

The blow hole, Tasman arch etc are just a couple of kilometres off the main highway to Port Arthur and virtually on the side of the road, can park in the car parks and see them from there, and no costs. With stops this would probably only take you about 30-40 mins.

Rosny Hill lookout is on the way back to Hobart , only a couple minutes off the highway and no walking, you park in the car park and can see Hobart, Mt Wellington, Derwent River and the Tasman Bridge from there. I dont know where Sandy Bay lookout is, if it was me I wouldnt bother, it would just be a view back across the Derwent River towards residential suburbs.

If it was me I'd go to the top of Mt Wellington if you have the time and as long as its a clear day, a waste of time if the mountain has cloud cover, views are great from there.

Battery Point is a nice area, quaint homes, restaurants, narrow streets, one of the oldest residential areas of Hobart.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I live in Hobart.

The transport Museum is run by volunteers and is only open saturdays, sundays and public holidays from 1pm to 5pm. The 1st and 3rd sundays of the month there are steam trains rides and the museum open from 11am those days.

As others have said a bus from the Hobart Bus Mall to the Glenorchy Bus Mall would be much cheaper than a taxi, around $3 each way per person.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I didn't realized the hours were that limited. I'll check the schedule and see what day we'll be in Hobart.

Hi, I live in Hobart.

Hope this helps.

I use a HC scooter can I get on the bus with it.

• 2 months later...
Sorry for the late response...I actually rang the state bus company and they said 4 wheeled ones yes, 3 no...but they have to be able to fit down the aisles. Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I don't understand, no 3 wheel scooters? Here in the US the buses have an area for wheelchairs and scooters.

For those of you planning to visit Port Arthur and more, don't leave yourself too little time at Port Arthur. As already mentioned, the total drive time to Port Arthur and back to Hobart will be around 3 hours. You should allow at least 3, and preferably 4 or more, hours to visit Port Arthur. We spent around 4.5 hours there and left only because it was closing time. We could easily have spent another hour or so there.

Port Arthur is not the sort of place that you can see in an hour or two.

I'd recommend going there with the ship if you go at all, it's a long drive and the ship will wait if the tour is late.

As for busses...Tassie isn't that enlightened yet.

Hi Cruising joe,

I understand your frustration. I have a wheelchair bound son and transport limitations are a real issue here in tasmania, the bus fleet , even in "metropolitan" hobart and launceston are limited with not all able to take wheelchairs,those that can the space is very limited for wheelchairs let alone a scooter. Ability taxi's offer services to those in wheelchair and I would think scooters also.So they may be another option for you.

Hope you get your transport sorted.

Cheers maree

Archived