The Med in April/May

steveyp

We are planning a Mediterranean cruise for our 10th anniversary which is ages away in 2017 if I can wait that long! Lots of reasons why we are waiting til then but at least we have plenty of time to get it right! The anniversary is 21 April so we can either go then or wait til summer, probably September so I was wondering what the Med is like weather wise in April or May. We want to visit Rome, Athens and Naples and I'm not keen on lying on beaches or around the pool. We're from England, and so hoping it will be better than our springs. I'm writing this on a Note tablet which doesn't seem to want me to search the forums.

Tracey x

April may have some rain, with comfortable temps, but cool for swimming. Late May can be fairly hot, while September is likely to be very hot and fairly humid - and still rather crowded with tourists. Late April through early May is good for Rome, Athens and Naples - almost as good as October, which is probably the best weather-wise.

Thank you for the replies both, very useful. I'd like to go close to the date but the end of September and October may be a bit warmer. I'll have to look at them more closely I think. A few more hours looking at cruises will be very enjoyable!

Tracey x

Once you get to May, the weather will be settling into being warm.....before then it is warm enough for me, but can be changeable. If you're flying out, then expect good temperatures as soon as you land; if you're sailing from Southampton, then it could still be chilly crossing the Channel and the Bay of Biscay.

We were on a Med cruise last spring.

We arrived in Rome in late April and spent a few days there before our cruise started. We had a shower one evening, it didn't slow us down. The days were warm and sunny.

Our cruise sailed from Civitavecchia and included Athens, some Greek Isles, Turkey and Naples. We are not beach people, but some people on our cruise enjoyed the beaches in some ports. It was over 30 when we were in Athens! Almost too hot for me.

I realize that the weather is hard to predict, but this was our experience.

Whenever you choose to go, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Our Eastern Med cruise was in October last year. That was after it was not hot anymore and the Vacationing Crowds were gone. Rome is a zoo in the summer months as are Istanbul and some other ports. Either go early March/April or October. Anything else is hot and wet. We had one little rainy day in Greece and that was it on the 12 day cruise.

We love April and May. Weather far let humid/hot than the summer months and less tourists.

There is a difference in weather from say early April (cooler) to late May (warmer not hot but warm) so it does depend when you are going.

In April it can be cooler in the morning where you need a jacket and it could stay that way the entire day or warm up.

Keith

Thanks everyone, we'll be able to make a much better educated guess now! You can't beat personal experince. We're lucky to be able to choose when to go so I'm actually thinking some time in May or September. I don't how I'm going to be patient for that long though!.

Cheers

Tracey x

Thanks everyone, we'll be able to make a much better educated guess now! You can't beat personal experince. We're lucky to be able to choose when to go so I'm actually thinking some time in May or September. I don't how I'm going to be patient for that long though!.

Cheers

Tracey x

We sailed in Sept and loved it! Temps were very pleasant and not the crowds or heat of July. Good luck whatever you decide!