Fred's AI to Cost More

tring

Had a call from Fred yesterday regards a cruise we have booked for next Oct. Seems the cost of the AI package is to go up to £15pppd from early March (I think the caller said the 10th) and would we like to buy it now before the price rise.

Must admit I think this a a wise move by Fred, especially if they can put the price of their cruises down a tad at the same time (perhaps a bit hopeful though). They are way out of line with pricing compared to other cruise lines who charge less for their cruises and then make their money on "spending opportunities", which makes Fred's cruise prices look bad, if people are initially comparing them to the cruise prices of other cruise lines.

I compared Fred's excursion prices in Casablanca last November to ones offered by NCL early this year. The US run lines have always been more expensive of course, but price difference seems much higher now. With the fall in the £, I wonder what may be ahead for us?

We were thinking that, so booked the package. Perhaps not such a bad idea for that one as it is 33 nights translocation to Mauritius from Liverpool with a lot of sea days. The main prob we see is that it becomes easy to drink a lot more alcohol than we would have done, and 33 days is a long time.

We will not need to go looking for shops selling water and soft drinks when ashore though, which is a plus. We would likely gain with the package (at £10) if we did not buy those ashore.

Had a call from Fred yesterday regards a cruise we have booked for next Oct. Seems the cost of the AI package is to go up to £15pppd from early March (I think the caller said the 10th) and would we like to buy it now before the price rise.

Must admit I think this a a wise move by Fred, especially if they can put the price of their cruises down a tad at the same time (perhaps a bit hopeful though). They are way out of line with pricing compared to other cruise lines who charge less for their cruises and then make their money on "spending opportunities", which makes Fred's cruise prices look bad, if people are initially comparing them to the cruise prices of other cruise lines.

I compared Fred's excursion prices in Casablanca last November to ones offered by NCL early this year. The US run lines have always been more expensive of course, but price difference seems much higher now. With the fall in the £, I wonder what may be ahead for us?

Many thanks for this information tring.

All package prices are going up by £5 per day from 7 March. So, if purchased in advance an increase from £10 to £15 whilst if purchased on board an increase from £20 to £25 etc.

If I were cynical [who, me!] I would suggest it might be to cover some of the costs of the large number of included AI packages on many of the cruise offerings at the moment.

If you have booked via a cruise agent Fred say that it is to them to inform their passengers of the increase, not Fred themselves. The two I have bookings through had no idea of the imminent price change so be aware you might not get notification in advance.

Glad you posted this thanks. Have also bought the AI package before the price increase,

• 3 weeks later...
Hi , So we have booked and been given the all in drinks package with our cruise for next year, does this effect us. cheers gary

Upgrade to All Inclusive now and save up to 50%*

For many guests, the time spent sailing the world’s waterways on board one of Fred. Olsen’s smaller, more intimate cruise ships is the time to indulge and make the most of a well-earned escape away from it all.

With this is mind, Fred. Olsen’s All Inclusive Drinks Upgrade is another service offered to ensure your holiday is relaxing and enjoyable. By upgrading to All Inclusive, you can treat yourself to that extra glass or two of your favourite tipple, without having to worry about the bar bill at the end of your cruise – it’s already covered.

More than half of Fred. Olsen’s guests choose to take advantage of this fantastic upgrade, which has now been updated and improved to include an even greater selection of drinks. From only £15 per person, per night* (£34 per person, per night on one to four night sailings) you can enjoy selected white, red and rosé wine by the glass and selected house beers, house spirits and soft drinks all day, every day throughout your cruise. Whether it’s a refreshing glass of juice or a pint of your favourite beer by the pool on a hot afternoon at sea, or a G&T to round off your day of exploration, it’s all included in the price.

We do not offer a non-alcoholic all-inclusive package

What is included in your All Inclusive Upgrade:

In the bars

• A selection of soft drinks (post-mix on pump), served by the glass: Pepsi, lemonade, tonic waters, juices and mineral/spring water
  • A choice of three red, three white and two rosé wines by the glass
  • Selected branded beers in cans or on draught
  • Selected house spirits: white rum, gin, vodka, whisky, brandy and Irish Cream
  • Daily ‘specials’

In the restaurants & buffet areas

• A selection of soft drinks, mineral/spring water and juices by the glass
  • A choice of three red, three white and two rosé wines by the glass
  • Selected branded beers in cans
  • Regular tea & coffee

Premium drinks are discounted too:

• Guests with the All Inclusive Upgrade can also save 50% off premium and branded drinks, other red and white wines (excluding Champagne or sparkling wine), cocktails and bottled water.

The friendly staff and waiters on board your ship will know you’ve upgraded to All Inclusive, as it will be indicated on your key/security card. Simply hand it over to a member of the team when ordering your drinks, and they’ll handle the rest.

Please note: The updated All Inclusive package will be available on departures from 1st May 2017 onwards. The previous All Inclusive package will continue to be offered on cruises departing up to 30th April 2017 (W1703, W1704, D1703, D1704, D1705, D1706, D1707, M1706, M1707, M1708, M1709, M1710, L1704, L1705, L1706, and L1707).

Guests who have booked All Inclusive at the previous price (from £10 per person, per night**) for departures from 1st May 2017 onwards will enjoy the updated package outlined above at no extra cost. For bookings made from 7th March 2017 onwards for departures from 1st May onwards, guests will be charged at the new rate (from £15 per person, per night*). On cruises D1708, W1705, M1711 and L1708 onwards, the price to upgrade after boarding will be £25 per person, per night regardless of when the guest booked their cruise (excluding one to four night sailings where the upgrade is not available to purchase on board).

For more information about the All Inclusive upgrade and pricing, please contact our friendly Reservations Team.

*Pricing for the updated All Inclusive upgrade starts at £15 per person, per night for cruise bookings made before departure. For one to four night sailings, the upgrade is charged at £34 per person, per night. Guests who upgrade to All Inclusive after boarding will be charged £25 per person, per night. Guests on one to four night sailings cannot upgrade once on board.

**Guests who have booked All Inclusive at the previous price will pay £10 per person, per night or £29 per person, per night on one to four night sailings. Guests who upgrade after boarding will be charged £25 per person, per night on standard cruises; Guests on one to four night sailings cannot upgrade once on board.

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/cruise-extras/all-inclusive-package

Basically a £5 per day increase but more choice of included drinks. Still worth the money. 3 drinks a day to break even is all it takes. Easily in an evening and makes it worthwhile with sea days.

With a pint of lager at £3.30 and a glass of wine at £4.05, I think it will take more than three drinks to break even, unless they are putting up the prices!

Gosh pleased we prepaid AL when booking 2018 WC......that would have been another £720 for the two of us for 72 nights. When you see the price of drinks on Princess and RCL then Fred'spackage is still good value.

Basically a £5 per day increase but more choice of included drinks. Still worth the money. 3 drinks a day to break even is all it takes. Easily in an evening and makes it worthwhile with sea days.
Reading through the official blurb I couldn't see any reference to a wider selection of drinks being included relative to what's on offer just now.

Of course I may have missed something - but it looks very much like the "free" AI package we have secured for a cruise this summer - which was £10 if purchased separately.

See page 13 -

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/Menus/Bar_List_2016.pdf?nid=0c46533e-51ca-4f7e-b75b-3faf4936c966

It says 2016, however that's what I downloaded from the FO website a few weeks ago and it appears to be current.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
punctuation

The removal of sparkling wine (prosecco on our last trip and I think a sparkling hock the time before that) from the "Inclusive" list and even it's exclusion from the 50% arangement will not make someone I know happy :mad:.

But then again, she now has a choice of three white and two rosé instead of one white one rosé and one sparkling so here's hoping that's enough to satisfy her.:D

Colin.

I would rather they charged £18 like Cruise & Maritime and included cocktails. I really enjoy working my way through the cocktail menu on a cruise. Fred's half-price deal just makes me feel I have to stick to G&Ts, or have a guilty conscience for incurring extra costs!

Could the 'daily specials' be the cocktail of the day do you think?

At £10 I could justify paying that, but at £15 it's just too high. My wife doesn't drink so to drink £30 a day on my own is silly. I know it includes some soft drinks, but still too much.

If they could charge it to one, i.e.me, that would be fine, but you have to pay for both so it's too much.

We've taken the pre-paid drinks package on Thomsons a few times - when it's offered at a decent price, our last was just under £10 pppd.

Much wider choice than FO, including certain cocktails and what some lines would descibe as Premium Brands - Drambuie, for example, is included.

A few strange exclusions though - Johnnie Walker Red Label is part of the deal, however some other recognised "ordinary" whisky brands are not.