cheap air dot com

Kristi Williamson

Hi all,

We are seasoned cruisers, but we rarely have to fly because we live within 8 hours of most major East coast terminals. We have never crossed the pond.

Next year (2018), our son graduates and wants to cruise Europe or do a repo cruise. As I'm reading the cruise Air boards, no one is mentioning sites like cheap air dot com. May I ask why? What is the catch?

There are 5 of us and I want to do this correctly but also at the best price. We have no interest in whether we're building points because we may not fly again for 10 years. We just want a good flight at a good price. Those are our only qualifications.

TIA!

Like cruise line airfares, cheap air dot com is a consolidator. That means the airfare is cheap, but the restrictions can be numerous and unforgiving. If something goes wrong, you will probably be the lowest priority for getting taken care of.

Don't be blinded by the upside of consolidator fares, and not be aware of the downsides.

I used them once for a trip to Brazil, the return was delayed for three (3) days.... which at the time was fine (40 years ago and carefree, self-employed), still care free and self-employed but schedule a lot of meetings for which I would not be happy to re-do and the added expenses to say the least...

As previously stated, if you can roll with the potential down-side(s) go for it, especially if it is only on your way home via air, then no worries...

There are times when almost "full fare" is really the best price, really.

bon voyage

OK. All that makes sense and I do not want to be stuck anywhere for 3 days with my teenagers in an unplanned situation. No thanks.

I am learning as I'm reading and we realized if we hop a Southwest down to Miami, the flights to Barcelona are much cheaper than from Charlotte or Atlanta, which is weird, but whatever. Is that normal? (I mean like 50% less expensive:o!)

Book your own flights directly with the carrier you decide to use on their website....best to never add a 3rd party into the mix. And once you have your flights sign up for alerts for any changes or best yet keep a close eye on your flight yourself. If changes are made know what your alternatives are before calling to have the carrier make the change for you...this makes everything much easier. Best of luck and enjoy your travels.

I am learning as I'm reading and we realized if we hop a Southwest down to Miami, the flights to Barcelona are much cheaper than from Charlotte or Atlanta, which is weird, but whatever. Is that normal? (I mean like 50% less expensive:o!)

Air pricing is not derived from a linear calculation of distance and cost per mile. Instead, you need to think of the supply and demand of the specific city-pairs involved.

If you try to think "Atlanta is closer to Europe than Miami is, so it should be cheaper", you will be stuck in a whirlwind of confusion. Think of each market as a separate economic entitiy and be flexible in your analysis.

One thing to remember. IF you decide to buy two tickets, remember that they are treated as separate travel events. No through checking of luggage, and if your first flight is delayed, you will be a no-show on the second. The second carrier will have no responsibility to make up for the missed flight, and the first carrier will have no responsibility as they have completed their contractual duties by getting you to MIA.

I am flying to Barcelona this fall for a TA. I am located near Charlotte and watched airfares for months before purchasing.

I looked far and wide for flights including starting with regional airports. Charlotte is one of the most expensive airports to fly out of, why because they can.

Seriously, if I go to Charleston and fly to St. Louis, the flight will stop in CLT. One would think that the flight would be more than CLT to STL, nope. Why, because the regionals want the airlines and offer perks to them.

My point is look around. I ended up finding my flight from the google search engine, matrix ita.

Watch for sales and if going for a cruise search early. I booked my November flight in January. Prices have done nothing but go up.

Lots of folks use TAP, I ended up booking on Delta out of JFK. Yes I booked another seperate flight on Delta from CLT to JFK, however, I left plenty of time between flights to get my bags and recheck them. Although, I will ask in CLT if they will check them through to my next flight. It has worked in the past. But I am prepared if they won't.

Not recommended for those who don't fly a lot though.

Good luck and congrats to your son.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Air pricing is not derived from a linear calculation of distance and cost per mile. Instead, you need to think of the supply and demand of the specific city-pairs involved.

If you try to think "Atlanta is closer to Europe than Miami is, so it should be cheaper", you will be stuck in a whirlwind of confusion. Think of each market as a separate economic entitiy and be flexible in your analysis.

One thing to remember. IF you decide to buy two tickets, remember that they are treated as separate travel events. No through checking of luggage, and if your first flight is delayed, you will be a no-show on the second. The second carrier will have no responsibility to make up for the missed flight, and the first carrier will have no responsibility as they have completed their contractual duties by getting you to MIA.

I think we're going to fly into Miami a few days early to enjoy some beach time and then fly out from there. It is so much less expensive and Miami is fun so it was a win/win. Thanks so much for all the replies!! Flying is hard. :'):')

I think we're going to fly into Miami a few days early to enjoy some beach time and then fly out from there. It is so much less expensive and Miami is fun so it was a win/win. Thanks so much for all the replies!! Flying is hard. :'):')

Sounds like a good plan. Have a great time-family trips can make for so many happy, priceless memories.

Lots of folks use TAP, I ended up booking on Delta out of JFK. Yes I booked another seperate flight on Delta from CLT to JFK, however, I left plenty of time between flights to get my bags and recheck them. Although, I will ask in CLT if they will check them through to my next flight. It has worked in the past. But I am prepared if they won't.

Official DL policy is that they will not through check bags on separate tickets.

OTOH, if you find a check-in agent who will "forget" about company policy.....

Good planning to have plenty of time in case flight #1 has an MX problem. I usually suggest an overnight and hotel.

When you do you search keep in mind your not restricted to the three international US airlines (United, Delta and American).

You can fly through Canada on Air Canada.

You can also book onto the European airlines. TP (TAP Air Portugal) as other have suggested is a good option. As well a host of other European airlines including Lufthansa, British Airways, Swiss (just to name a few).