Rainy day activities?

5kids2dogs

I already have planned excursions, but since you can't count on the weather in Alaska what would be good back up plans for a rainy day in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Ketchikan, and Seward?

great post and i'll be watching though i expect some excursions will still run in the rain. I'm most concerned w/ketchikan where we have a flight booked ... am not much of a lumberjack girl - which I have seen suggested as a rainy day alternative.

Sorry, but my opinion, is they are the same. Having good rain gear and being WELL prepared for the wide range of weather is the ONLY priority.

Tours run rain or shine, do not assume, tours will be "canceled" if it's raining, they won't. So, the "rainy" day, alternatives, would only be if you had open time, which, I never seem to have.

There are many alternatives, in the event of flight cancelations. Everyone needs to take the time to find out what may be of interest for them. Have phone numbers handy if needed.

I already have planned excursions, but since you can't count on the weather in Alaska what would be good back up plans for a rainy day in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Ketchikan, and Seward?

I agree with Budget Queen. Your rainy day plans should be the same as your sunny day plans, or you might end up doing nothing that you originally planned! Just be prepared with rain gear and a sense of adventure! :D

I agree with Budget Queen. Your rainy day plans should be the same as your sunny day plans, or you might end up doing nothing that you originally planned! Just be prepared with rain gear and a sense of adventure! :D

I only have three ports -- in juneau - whalewatching which i'm sure will go rain or shine, in skagway - we're renting a car which we'll do regardless and in ketchikan we're off to the Anan Observatory by plane.. As I said this is the only one that I supposed could be cancelled .. Is there the remote possibility that it could? If there is - I guess that was the point of this post - was to come up with possible back ups and ideas of what other people did ...

Thanks.

If there is - I guess that was the point of this post - was to come up with possible back ups and ideas of what other people did ...

Thanks.

Ketchikan has lots to see by just walking (up to the "park" and creek and Married Man's Trail, etc.) There's a totem by the park and I'd make sure I saw totems in Ketchikan; you can go to Totem Bight or Saxman. For the first time, Totem Bight would be my choice.

As people say, your day shouldn't be different.............rain can be very light. Just DON'T try to use an umbrella; the streets are packed when so many ships are in.

We had a tour not cancelled, but refunded. It was a whale-watching trip on a fast, open boat. It was pouring. We were all hunkered down in our rain gear, hoods pulled over our heads, couldn't see a thing, wet and freezing. They cut the tour short and refunded our money. I wish we had been cancelled from the start so we could've wandered around town, but I can understand their attempt to try to get the tour in.

That was the remainder of a storm we spent the previous night sailing through :eek:, but the rest of the weather was fine.

We had a flight scheduled in Ketchikan - cancelled because of the downpour going on. In fact, our second choice, "Ketchikan by Land and Sea" was also cancelled. We ended up on a bus tour of the city and then a trip to Totem Bight. It was one of the best excursions we had! So glad we got our third choice!

As I said this is the only one that I supposed could be cancelled .. Is there the remote possibility that it could?

Thanks.

Certainly there is. You may want to verify if the permits are "day passes"? Or split timed? etc (I haven't been to Anan in a few years)

I had a Ketchikan flight canceled last year. Did attempt to fly out, but turned back, as did EVERYONE else. (could here all the reports on the radio). But, I was in Ketchikan 3 days last year, and was able to fly on the other two, plus, I was able to pick up an added Misty flight, walk up, single seat for my nephew about 10 minutes before it left. :)

Keep in mind that up here we look at it like this-if you have to wait for good weather to do anything, you will do nothing. Alaskans laugh at people in the lower 48 trying to drive through a couple of inches of snow or being bundled up at 40 degrees.

I have gone out to do routine business in snow storms. After that, a little rain is nothing.

Last summer I caught 25 salmon while dip netting in jungle type rain. Of course, I was dressed for it, so it was nothing.

Wear good rain gear and don;t give the rain another thought. We don't...

Well you folks are certainly made of stouter stuff than I am. I don't venture out into a rain storm at home, unless I absolutely have to. No way I'm going to intentionally get drenched while on vacation either.

When we were in Juneau, it started to pour, we quicly hit a few shops going from canopy to canopy, then looked at the sky, realized we were going to miss Mendenhall, and returned to the safety and comfort of the ship.

We cancelled our own plans, but then I don't pay for expensive excursions in the first place. To each their own.

Well you folks are certainly made of stouter stuff than I am. I don't venture out into a rain storm at home, unless I absolutely have to. No way I'm going to intentionally get drenched while on vacation either.

When we were in Juneau, it started to pour, we quicly hit a few shops going from canopy to canopy, then looked at the sky, realized we were going to miss Mendenhall, and returned to the safety and comfort of the ship.

We cancelled our own plans, but then I don't pay for expensive excursions in the first place. To each their own.

Well, the OP didn't say "rain storm" they just said "rain". Usually in Alaska, that just means a misty drizzle, sometimes full rain, but not usually a "storm", at least not in the summer cruising season. If it was that bad, I guess some excursions would cancel. The weather can change quite a bit over the course of the day, too. You might leave for an excursion while it's just overcast, but it might start raining when you are out. Or it might be raining when you leave, but clear up a little later. That's why it's important to be prepared with proper rain gear and just go do what you want to do. A little rain won't kill you! :D

And totally missed Juneau and only saw the inside of the ship. If I am there, I go.

We did a driving trip to AK a few years ago. It poured the 4 days we were in Juneau. It poured the 3 days we were in Ketchikan. It poured on and off the 3 days we were in Prince Rupert. There was nothing we could do about it so we went out and enjoyed ourselves the best we could although I admit that having a car made it a bit easier.

The only time we gave up on the weather was the last day in Prince Rupert where we spent almost a full day in the Library reading. Three days was 1 day too long in Prince Rupert anyway although we did not know it when we set up our schedule.

DON

I'm also watching this thread for back-up ideas. Am bringing rain pants, hooded raincoat, umbrella, and waterproof shoes. (I bought high quality rainwear for backpacking trips.) I'm in my late 50s and less tolerant of the weather than I used to be! Despite great rain gear, there are times when I get cold, tired, and/or wet--especially if wind drives the rain into my face--and want to duck inside.

In Skagway, there is a list of indoor activities at the National Park at http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/indooractivities.htm.

In Ketchikan, the Totem Heritage Center and Tongass Historical Museum are inexpensive options. The Totem Heritage Center is listed at National Geographic's "50 Ways to See Alaska".

Would love to see more suggestions! :)

I'm also watching this thread for back-up ideas. Am bringing rain pants, hooded raincoat, umbrella, and waterproof shoes.

Save yourself some space and leave the umbrella at home. They are useless on a moving ship due to wind, and they are hazards in crowded ports. If you have a good hooded rain jacket, you don't need an umbrella.

Sad part is you really wont know till you get there whether the excursion will be canceled or not. What I have done in the past, depending on who I am traveling with, I check out different activities maybe on board, or say in Ketchikan take the city bus tour etc. I would look over the other excursions that are being offered and if weather makes plane trips or boat trips not possible you at least will know what other options you may have to back up with. A few years back in ketchikan it poured so our excursion was canceled so we spent time walking around town, had a great lunch, than spent some time on the wifi catching up with home news and posting pictures and honestly that was the best time we had, memories are made where ever you go! Being from Minnesota we have all kinds of weather here from rain, tornadoes to -30 so we just kick it and dress for the weather and ENJOY!!!! :D

I made bookings for my own tours and make sure the tour operators have my cellphone number. Sometimes I find out ahead of other folks about cancelations and can make my own decisions.

I've seen tourists running back to the ships in South East Alaska to get out of a mild rain. The shops love rain as business increases.

An umbrella in Alaska is a hazard to other people especially on crowded sidewalks in Juneau!

You need to have proper safe footwear. I'm serious! Many people fall and ruin their trips. I've seen women in high heels trekking around Alaska and just wonder where they think they are.

Very tempted to leave the brolly at home, but before I do would your advice also apply for a post-cruise landtour (Anchorage-Talkeetna-Denali) in early June? On a small whale watching boat out of Juneau in late May?

A post about a downpour during a whale watch makes me wonder if an umbrella might come in handy.

(Steeling myself for backlash...) :o

Very tempted to leave the brolly at home, but before I do would your advice also apply for a post-cruise landtour (Anchorage-Talkeetna-Denali) in early June? On a small whale watching boat out of Juneau in late May?

A post about a downpour during a whale watch makes me wonder if an umbrella might come in handy.

(Steeling myself for backlash...) :o

No backlash but good raincoat w hood - yes; umbrella - no.

DON

I live near Seattle so I'm used to the rain. The only time I use an umbrella is at work ( don't want to mess up my hair !) Umbrellas are a nuisance to carry, especially when you're walking along sidewalks and dealing with crowds of people.

I prefer to wear a baseball cap or a hat; depends on how hard it's raining. Then both my hands are free.

I also keep a poncho in my daypack ... the length keeps me dry down to the knee and protects my daypack (camera, binoculars, etc). Not good in the wind though.

In Ketchikan check out the Discovery Center ( US Forest Service). Pick up a map from the visitor booths and go for a free walking tour .. it's a pretty and interesting town. Take the city bus to Totem Bight.

An umbrella on a whale watch?! :eek:

You'd block everyone's view... and possibly put someone's eye out!

Archived