Best OWB on Moorea?

Burpelson

Dear All,

You have me convinced to do the Moorea hotel stay prior to the PG cruise and not after. What is your favorite OWB on Moorea? The Hilton, Intercontinental, and Sofitel seem to be the big players here, so which of these is best or are others in the mix? Les Tipaniers?

(yes, I've searched the forum and this topic has not precisely been asked or well answered since the Hilton was rehabbed in 2012, PG page 5/12)

My instinct is Hilton as it seems to get the best reviews for snorkeling. But overall relaxation, great food for non super prices, proximity to food/drink options, cool bar options, not nickel and diming, etc. could all be part of the mix.

It seems quite hard/expensive to travel to other islands by air, but I'd hear a case if another choice seems worthy.

Best, B

I stayed at the Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa. It is walking distance to some local shops and the grocery store where we bought bottled water, cheese and a baguette that made for a great light lunch. On the advice of fellow vacationers, we reserved at the Moorea Beach Cafe that apparently has the best views of the sunset (it was overcast so we didn't have a great view). They even come pick you up at your hotel and drop you back afterwards. Moorea is my favorite island in French Polynesia <3

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

I too love the Sofitel. It has a great beach as well and decent snorkelling. It's not close to anything though when we stayed we took a breakfast and dinner package. We went to Champion near the ferry dock and picked up water, drinks , cheeses and snacks for our lunches.

From what I heard the Pearl is run down.

I will be visiting the IC in January ...the last time I went was 10 years ago and consensus then was snorkelling was not great due to water clarity.

Hilton I have only had day visits here. The beach is small but I understand they use special lights that encourage coral so snorkelling is good. It is centrally located. They also have a breakfast and dinner package.

Book through a wholesaler for best value or have your TA approach a wholesaler for you.

I think you will find that all of the resorts are very pricey for their restaurants. There are a number of restaurants that will pick you up and bring you back to the hotel at no charge. The specific ones are dependent upon your hotel as only the restaurants that are relatively close will do this.

We have stayed at the Hilton 4 times and love it. If you stay in an overwater bungalow the snorkeling is spectacular. The entire lagoon area is only about 5 feet deep. Snorkeling from the beach is also great. Not sure of the posts regarding the size of the beach as I think it is quite large for a relatively small resort. Very few seem to use the beach as the guests in the OWB tend not to go to the pool or the beach.

Regardless of where you stay the most logical way to save some $$ is to buy some refreshments at the market.

If your stay will be over a weekend you can easily get 2 free weekend nights at the Hilton by opening up a credit card. The card also give your HHonors Gold status which gives you breakfast for 2 included each day. Since they charge $30 pp for breakfast that is a decent deal. You really need to plan this a long time in advance to make sure that the free nights are available. Once you get them you can email the hotel manager and for about $150 per night upgrade from the standard garden unit to an overwater unit.

We love Les Tipaniers, but they do not have OWB's. They have a couple of beach-front bungalows, but most are back a bit, off the beach.

Nice, laid-back place, not 5-star, nice little beach, a couple of great restaurants, but not a "full-service" resort in the sense of the other large hotels. A fraction of the price. The dinner restaurant will indeed pick you up from your other hotel and take you back I believe.

If you want a genuine Polynesian/French, "barefoot" experience, it's a great place.

I'm kind of hoping to get beach-front there for next October. Am waiting since I haven't booked my flights yet.

I think you will find that all of the resorts are very pricey for their restaurants. There are a number of restaurants that will pick you up and bring you back to the hotel at no charge. The specific ones are dependent upon your hotel as only the restaurants that are relatively close will do this.

We have stayed at the Hilton 4 times and love it. If you stay in an overwater bungalow the snorkeling is spectacular. The entire lagoon area is only about 5 feet deep. Snorkeling from the beach is also great. Not sure of the posts regarding the size of the beach as I think it is quite large for a relatively small resort. Very few seem to use the beach as the guests in the OWB tend not to go to the pool or the beach.

Regardless of where you stay the most logical way to save some $$ is to buy some refreshments at the market.

If your stay will be over a weekend you can easily get 2 free weekend nights at the Hilton by opening up a credit card. The card also give your HHonors Gold status which gives you breakfast for 2 included each day. Since they charge $30 pp for breakfast that is a decent deal. You really need to plan this a long time in advance to make sure that the free nights are available. Once you get them you can email the hotel manager and for about $150 per night upgrade from the standard garden unit to an overwater unit.

The beach is important to me as I cannot swim and will drown in five feet of water! Temae beach is spectacular and somewhat isolated. I love the fact that there will often be only two people on the entire beach. I personally found the Hilton beach really small and you can see the relative sizes of the two beaches from satellite pics.

I have twice visited Les Tip. I find it a bit too rustic and I understand it has mossies. This concerns me as they bring dengue, chickengunya and Sitka. That being said Colin was bitten by sandflies at the Sofitel!

The beach is important to me as I cannot swim and will drown in five feet of water! Temae beach is spectacular and somewhat isolated. I love the fact that there will often be only two people on the entire beach. I personally found the Hilton beach really small and you can see the relative sizes of the two beaches from satellite pics.

I have twice visited Les Tip. I find it a bit too rustic and I understand it has mossies. This concerns me as they bring dengue, chickengunya and Sitka. That being said Colin was bitten by sandflies at the Sofitel!

You know, even adults can learn how to swim! Why don't you take lessons now that you're retired? Think what an accomplishment it would be.

There were a few mosquitoes at Les Tipanier when we were there in September, but very few. Sand fleas would concern me more, they are vicious beasts. But I get bitten by whatever is going around.

Les Tipes is definitely not 4-stary, but the rooms work well, and are spacious. The little beach is nice, and the water very shallow but with some minimal snorkelling from the beach.

You know, even adults can learn how to swim! Why don't you take lessons now that you're retired? Think what an accomplishment it would be.

There were a few mosquitoes at Les Tipanier when we were there in September, but very few. Sand fleas would concern me more, they are vicious beasts. But I get bitten by whatever is going around.

Les Tipes is definitely not 4-stary, but the rooms work well, and are spacious. The little beach is nice, and the water very shallow but with some minimal snorkelling from the beach.

Actually I found the New Zealand sandflies vicious but Colin's bites didn't itch and were gone by morning. After that day we always sat inside at dinner time.

Don't let DD hear you tell me to learn swimming...I am petrified.

Take it from a pro .......

I've stayed at all 4 of the bigger resorts on Moorea. They all have their plus sides depending on what your looking for. I'll ranked them based on my preferences.

1. Hilton - the good - best snorkeling, nice OWB's, close to a few off property eateries, crepe bar is good and reasonable. Downside- garden rooms are close to each other, barking neighbor dogs to the right when facing lagoon, no store for supples close by.

2. Sofitel - the good - 2nd best snorkeling, best beach, good OWB's, expansive grounds, next to long public beach for walks, great view of Tahiti. The bad - Nothing is close, you're rather isolated unless you walk a mile in the heat, expensive eats on premise.

3..IC - the good - expansive property will lots of room, good OWB's, lots of things to do, best for those that like hamacks, close to store for supplies and reasonably close to a town for shopping, best pools, best for families, Dolphin Quest, turtle sacuary. The bad - snorkeling is so so. Only a handful of completely OWB, most are simi OWB.

4. Manava Resort - the good - close to shopping and restaurants, least expensive of the 4, staff is personable. The bad- snorkeling is so so, can feel cramped, water can be murky, rooms seemed to be smaller and not as nice.

Remember I said I ranked them based on my preference. Others may be more into shopping or other things. My #1 preference is snorkeling so Hilton is high on my list.Some my find the IC more to their liking, all 4 re good but offer something different, you need to choose what is important to you. As I said, I've stayed at all 4 so I have a good vantage point to compare.

Hope this helps

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Looking to book a beachside bungalow at Moorea Sofitel pre-cruise and wondering if you have a recommendation for both location (specific bungalow numbers?) and how to get the best rate. Thanks much!

Looking to book a beachside bungalow at Moorea Sofitel pre-cruise and wondering if you have a recommendation for both location (specific bungalow numbers?) and how to get the best rate. Thanks much!

Not Emdee; hopefully she will answer. I see at least one posting on Tripadvisor about this resort that says, "some beach bungalows are noisier and less private than others". Perhaps you could ask the poster about it:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303860-d307162-r438428521-Sofitel_Moorea_Ia_Ora_Beach_Resort-Maharepa_Moorea_Society_Islands.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

We had a beach bungalow in low season January right in the middle of the beach. Weren't too many people there. Had an OWB in high season July didn't see more than a few couples dining with about 6. Kids in total. So there were not too many around. A lot of the visitors were French so my suggestion would be to check school break in France and not travel then. Of course with all the problems in Europe I believe that FP has a resurgence of tourism.

Why don't you join us on the reunion.

Edited by Emdee

Any of the first 6 Luxury Beach Bugalows are a great place to snag. The Luxury Beach bugalows are to the left facing the lagoon of the dinner restaurant. I wouldn't go beyond the 6th unit as your getting closer to the public beach thus more potential noise. The Luxury Beach bungalows are large, the 2nd largest at the resort.

Our honeymoon was here in 1999 but e've returned a few times, actually every trip just to remember our first trip together to paradise.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Any of the first 6 Luxury Beach Bugalows are a great place to snag. The Luxury Beach bugalows are to the left facing the lagoon of the dinner restaurant. I wouldn't go beyond the 6th unit as your getting closer to the public beach thus more potential noise. The Luxury Beach bungalows are large, the 2nd largest at the resort.

Our honeymoon was here in 1999 but e've returned a few times, actually every trip just to remember our first trip together to paradise.

Maybe avoid the first two as it's close to the activity and diving centre and restaurant. That is the only area where I have a concern as I heard a lot of noise there when walking to our cabin.

this is exactly the detail of info I was looking for!

I loved the beachfront bungalows. Only problem with the location of the Sofitel is that it gets the morning sun and after 3 pm gets cooler and no sun at all. We are morning people so would be in the water by 6 am.

• 2 months later...
I stayed at the Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa. It is walking distance to some local shops and the grocery store where we bought bottled water, cheese and a baguette that made for a great light lunch. On the advice of fellow vacationers, we reserved at the Moorea Beach Cafe that apparently has the best views of the sunset (it was overcast so we didn't have a great view). They even come pick you up at your hotel and drop you back afterwards. Moorea is my favorite island in French Polynesia <3

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

We stayed at the Moorea Pearl December 2015 in overwater bungalows and LOVED the resort!!! The restaurant was a bit pricey, but what isn't on an island? :) The bar was fun, there were kayaks, snorkel gear, etc. available for guest's use. The spa was wonderful! Did the couples floating, pool massage! OMG!!! WONDERFUL!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 years later...
On 11/23/2016 at 11:40 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Take it from a pro .......

I've stayed at all 4 of the bigger resorts on Moorea. They all have their plus sides depending on what your looking for. I'll ranked them based on my preferences.

1. Hilton - the good - best snorkeling, nice OWB's, close to a few off property eateries, crepe bar is good and reasonable. Downside- garden rooms are close to each other, barking neighbor dogs to the right when facing lagoon, no store for supples close by.

2. Sofitel - the good - 2nd best snorkeling, best beach, good OWB's, expansive grounds, next to long public beach for walks, great view of Tahiti. The bad - Nothing is close, you're rather isolated unless you walk a mile in the heat, expensive eats on premise.

3..IC - the good - expansive property will lots of room, good OWB's, lots of things to do, best for those that like hamacks, close to store for supplies and reasonably close to a town for shopping, best pools, best for families, Dolphin Quest, turtle sacuary. The bad - snorkeling is so so. Only a handful of completely OWB, most are simi OWB.

4. Manava Resort - the good - close to shopping and restaurants, least expensive of the 4, staff is personable. The bad- snorkeling is so so, can feel cramped, water can be murky, rooms seemed to be smaller and not as nice.

Remember I said I ranked them based on my preference. Others may be more into shopping or other things. My #1 preference is snorkeling so Hilton is high on my list.Some my find the IC more to their liking, all 4 re good but offer something different, you need to choose what is important to you. As I said, I've stayed at all 4 so I have a good vantage point to compare.

Hope this helps

Wow! This helps a lot. Thanks!

• Like 1

We are interested in going to Polynesia and the Paul Gauguin cruise. Can the experts recommend which month for us to go? Is the sea water warm all year round? What are the winter months and summer months?

This thread is great - thank you for all the info you supplied.

20 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

We are interested in going to Polynesia and the Paul Gauguin cruise. Can the experts recommend which month for us to go? Is the sea water warm all year round? What are the winter months and summer months?

This thread is great - thank you for all the info you supplied.

The weather is generally beautiful year round.  Their "winter" is June-August, roughly, and it's their high season because the weather is a little less rainy with less likelihood of storms.  Some have said water is cooler during those months, I've never noticed a difference although I've not been there in July and August.

The "summer in Tahiti" promotions sometimes are a good deal.  The weather is more humid, a bit warmer and more apt to rain.  I was once there in April and I did find it humid, as was December.  Onboard ship is always pleasant however.  Summer is roughly considered to be December-March.   September and October and very nice months, as is May.  

But in general, there is very little difference, it's always great.