Cozumel diving question

Sugaree5335

I have done the "walk up" diving in Cozumel. It worked, but there's an element of stress to it, since you're hunting for someone; and don't have a plan in place.

When I did it I literally walked up to a guy on the street that was one of those 50 kind of tours sales guys; and then he hilariously did not refer me to the people he was "working" for, but instead clearly had some side deal going with another place.

Now I definitely plan ahead. :)

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

Thanks! I'll take a list of shops with me just in case. I've been certified for years, and my husband is just now getting his c-card. I'm hoping that he'll suggest going diving rather than the 12 metre sailing thing. But, since he's a sailor I figure that being on the Stars and Stripes is on his bucket list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What is the general lead time needed to take a diving trip in Cozumel? Say, if the excursion I have scheduled in Cozumel gets cancelled, would it be feasible to walk in to a dive shop near the pier and schedule a dive for that day?

You surely can do this, but you must get to a dive shop before their boat is scheduled to leave for the day.

Scott & Karen

• 2 weeks later...

The 12 meter boat race is excellent - did the race on our last trip to Coz. In terms of diving - sorta depends on your arrival/depart times. Most dive boats head out around 9am for the morning dives and return to new Caleta marina around 1230 or 1. They then head out after that for afternoon dives getting back around 5 or so. You are miles ahead of the game by corresponding with a dive op and letting them know your wishes, your schedule, experience, and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aldora is a respected op. But they do limit the number of people and are often booked up.

They do also attract many seasoned divers as they offer steel 100.

I have followed advice before for the "best" op and what is the best op for someone else may not be the best op for you.