Tips from other Bariatric patients?

LibrarianBecky

(I hope this is the right place to post this.)

I had bariatric surgery (rny gastric bypass) in April of 2016. It has been life changing for me. I've lost about 130 pounds and have been able to stop all the medications I needed to take before.

I have my first post-surgery cruise coming up, and wondered if there are other bariatric cruisers out there who have any tips for me?

I figure breakfast will be easy. Eggs or yogurt. I should be able to do salads for lunch (I'm sure there has to be some protein available for salads). We normally do MDR for dinner. That may be a little tricky, but RCI has shrimp cocktail every night, which is a good choice for me.

Will I be allowed to bring pre-mixed protein shakes on board? I usually need one a day to make my protein target

Other tips or advice? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had bariatric surgery (rny gastric bypass) in April of 2016. It has been life changing for me. I've lost about 130 pounds and have been able to stop all the medications I needed to take before.

I have my first post-surgery cruise coming up, and wondered if there are other bariatric cruisers out there who have any tips for me?

I figure breakfast will be easy. Eggs or yogurt. I should be able to do salads for lunch (I'm sure there has to be some protein available for salads). We normally do MDR for dinner. That may be a little tricky, but RCI has shrimp cocktail every night, which is a good choice for me.

Will I be allowed to bring pre-mixed protein shakes on board? I usually need one a day to make my protein target

from your signature it appears that you'll be on the Anthem than check out this link specific to RCCL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=101603083

Additionally check out this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=101603561

Here's the link for RCCL's Special Needs form to notify them of special dietary needs. Complete the section marked "OTHER" https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Since you're planning to bring Pre-Mixed Protein Shakes which implies it being a liquid you'll need to have that pre-approved by RCCL prior to boarding. If bringing packets that can be mixed with water once on the ship no prior approval required. Suggest calling RCCL rather than faxing or email.

RCCL's Access Department

Ph (866) 592-7225

fax (954) 628-9622,

e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com,

Also note that on the Special Needs form you can specifically request 8oz can of Ensure which should be provided free of charge if that brand meets your needs.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Hi Becky,

Not sure what kind of surgery that you had because some of the foods that you mentioned are different than what I am able to eat. Yogurt and salad greens are not my friends! I am all about the protein. I am 13 yrs out from my surgery. It was major and I was very sick afterwards. (Staff infection and open wound that wouldn't heal) I couldn't eat anything for 6 weeks after surgery. But MD said I had to force myself. So I did. It took me all day to eat one meatball but eventually I was able to start eating bits and pieces of other foods. About 4 months after surgery (I was better but still fragile and only eating a few things like eggs, bacon and meatballs) we decided to try a cruise. We booked a 5 day New England cruise and it was the best thing!. I was worried about how I would be with my food issues but I had absolutely no problems. I could only eat very very small portions but because there was always lots of protein choices available I began to eat more. I would eat a bit of egg for breakfast than two hours later go back and get a piece of bacon than an hour or so later go back and get a little piece of cheese. It was a turning point for me. I learned that I was better off eating 6 or 7 small meals instead of the normal breakfast lunch and dinner. Grazing worked great for me! It still does! When I cruise I still would rather graze instead of adhering to a mealtime schedule even though now I can eat a normal size meal at one setting. I have never had a problem finding something to eat on a cruise. There is always some kind of protein available somewhere. I never felt the need to contact the cruiseline special services department as I didn't really need special foods. I also never feel the need to explain myself or my eating choices to waitstaff or fellow cruisers. If I am questioned as to why I didn't finish a meal I simply say I am full.

I can only speak for myself, but cruising is my favorite way to travel. I hope that you have a similar experience.

Edited by luvs2beachit

Wow! It sounds like you had a rough time of it after surgery! Glad it worked out okay in the end. I had RNY gastric bypass. I do focus on protein first, but don't have a problem eating salad greens. Dry meat is a no go for me (chicken and pork especially). I make my own Greek yogurt that is high in protein and eat it every day for breakfast. Seafood is usually a good option for me, as it tends to be moist and tender. Because I am not able to eat very much at a meal, I do supplement with a protein shake most days, to make sure I'm getting all the protein I need. I contacted the special needs department of RC, and they said that bringing on premixed shakes will be fine. We sail in 3 weeks, and I can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had RNY in December 2014 and 5 months later did a 12day Baltic with 2 days in Stockholm pre cruise and 2 days in Amsterdam afterwards. I had no problem eating on either ship or land, although it was painful for me to see the wasted food considering my portion size was limited.

I ALWAYS ate breakfast in the room in order to control both food and protein. Most cruise lines have low fat but not non fat yogurt and most of the yogurt has sugar if you are sensitive to it as I am.

For lunch at sea I enjoyed salads with meat or fish as protein as they rarely have low fat cheese on the ship or on land. You can always find chicken or salmon to add to a salad.

My go- to meals ls in the evenings were " airline chicken" chicken Parm, eggplant Parm, one meatball with a Vegtable, a small steak, preferable strip or filet Mingnon.

Of course no rice pasta or potatoes. I either asked them not to bring any bread or to please offer bread to my husband and take the basket away. I also spoke to the maître d in advance and got a table for 2 explaining that I had surgery and could not eat normally and would be embarassedo discuss my peculiar eating habits with others or make excuses for leaving the table before dessert. Mission accomplished.

Late night trips to the Oceanview cafe provided an opportunity to eat even more salad or maybe have a small slice of cheese. I brought powdered premier protein which I mixed with skim milk.

I also brought packets of fuzzy navel flavor protein to mix with water. I never needed any permission to bring liquids on. I used to drink the fuzzy naval beverage during the shows.

I lo 9 lbs while on the cruise and trip. I walked in the pool for an hour each day and we averaged 5 -7 mikes a day walking on the tours. I did a Caribbean last year but did not loose as much because we were not as active walking what with all the beach stops. On hat cruise I traveled with a group and they all knew my eating habits so it made it easy to push back or leave the table between long courses.

If I č n do it, you can too! Enjoy your cruise.

> I never needed any permission to bring liquids on

Just a caution, that varies by cruise line. We are sailing Norwegian in 3 months and they don't allow any liquids other than bottles of wine or champagne, for which they charge $15/750 ml "corkage" fee.

If you sail on a line that restricts bringing liquids on board, I would strongly suggest getting something IN WRITING on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD from the Special Needs dept and bring it with you. (Not that any cruise line ever has the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing ...)

I am 1mth post op and booked a cruise but we are 1 yr away. I am going to miss that melting cake. UGH! But being able to wear shorts and not feel stared at is even better. I wonder if lobster would be ok... :rolleyes:

First, congrats on your weight loss. I had a DS 14 years ago so I understand your concerns. Check with RCI, but you should be able to bring your shakes with you (it's medically necessary so suggest notifying their Access office).

Either buy bottled water from the cruise so that it's always in your cabin or bring a refillable water bottle (and always carry it with you). Staying hydrated is very important.

Don't worry about what others think (or might say). Just follow what you need to do. I always carry pre-packaged nuts for snacks. If you eat at the buffet it will honestly be much easier to pick and choose what you eat (lots of protein - avoid the carbs). Bring baggies with you so if you want to take something off the buffet you can).

As for dinner, order exactly what you want - if you don't want any carbs/pasta/potatoes, just tell the waiter. Most MDR menus usually have the old standbys - chicken, steak, salmon. You could always order salmon :)

Don't stress and enjoy your cruise.

I am 1mth post op and booked a cruise but we are 1 yr away. I am going to miss that melting cake. UGH! But being able to wear shorts and not feel stared at is even better. I wonder if lobster would be ok... :rolleyes:

I bet lobster would be fine. I have had it once or twice since my surgery, and it didn't cause me any trouble. For me, shrimp and seafood tend to be easier to digest than any other kind of protein.

Jpcello, thank you for the advice. I have talked to my husband about eating in the buffet--we never eat there for dinner, but I think it will be easier for me. I have gotten permission to bring on my protein shakes, so that should be good.

Thanks for all of these tips! DH is having gastric sleeve this summer and we cruise in late October.

Best of luck to your husband! It hasn't been easy, but I'm very glad that I had the surgery. For me, it has been like an opportunity to start my life again.

First, congrats on your weight loss. I had a DS 14 years ago so I understand your concerns. Check with RCI, but you should be able to bring your shakes with you (it's medically necessary so suggest notifying their Access office).

Either buy bottled water from the cruise so that it's always in your cabin or bring a refillable water bottle (and always carry it with you). Staying hydrated is very important.

Don't worry about what others think (or might say). Just follow what you need to do. I always carry pre-packaged nuts for snacks. If you eat at the buffet it will honestly be much easier to pick and choose what you eat (lots of protein - avoid the carbs). Bring baggies with you so if you want to take something off the buffet you can).

As for dinner, order exactly what you want - if you don't want any carbs/pasta/potatoes, just tell the waiter. Most MDR menus usually have the old standbys - chicken, steak, salmon. You could always order salmon :)

Don't stress and enjoy your cruise.

jpcello I also had a DS. I have not run into many people who have had our type of surgery, especially not here on the boards. Best decision I ever made! Even with all the post surgical complications I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I also bring baggies to the buffet to take cheese chunks or bacon or some other type protein that I can nibble on later.:D