Help with the cruise Lingo ?

swanmark

Hi Guys, I love this site, I have had a great deal of questions and answers, but as I am new to cruising and this site there is one big problem, there is a hell of a lot of abbreviations, in some of the answers I receive, DH, OBC, etc., which I haven't got a clue what they mean, is there a abbreviation list somewhere to help me understand LOL, thanks

OBC means 'onboard credit' a perk you may get from a cruise line or travel agent

DH is stupid as far as I'm concerned. (DH,DW,DD,DS... Whatever) typical it means 'Dear (Dearest) Wife/Husband/Son', whatever. It's probably the most useless shorthand. Just say 'my husband' or 'my wife'.

It's a "Ship" not a boat. The boat is what you get into when the ship is sinking.

It's not a floor, it's a deck

They are not cabin boys, cabin girls or stewarts,, they are cabin Stewards.

It's not a room, it's a Cabin or State Room

It's a "Ship" not a boat. The boat is what you get into when the ship is sinking.

It's not a floor, it's a deck

They are not cabin boys, cabin girls or stewarts,, they are cabin Stewards.

It's not a room, it's a Cabin or State Room

And in Newcastle UK it's. When the boat comes in.LOL

love sailing with RCCL

What often gets the most confusing is when the person on a CC (carnival cruise) asks about using his CC (credit Card) while on CC (cruise critic). Thankfully most of the acronyms don't have multiple meanings. After a while you will recognize most of them in the context they are being used.

Or when some one asks about booking a TA (Transatlantic crossing) through a TA (Travel agent).

Or if there'll be enough TP (toilet paper) on a TP (Trans Pacific).

But the thread you were referred to covers it pretty well I think.

Hi Guys, I love this site, I have had a great deal of questions and answers, but as I am new to cruising and this site there is one big problem, there is a hell of a lot of abbreviations, in some of the answers I receive, DH, OBC, etc., which I haven't got a clue what they mean, is there a abbreviation list somewhere to help me understand LOL, thanks

The abbreviations for significant others & children (DH, DW, DS, DD) aren't necessarily cruise lingo. They've been around for many years and pretty much got their start in internet chat rooms, message boards, & forums. At one point I can remember the DS & DD, referring to one's children, stood for dependent son & daughter. Now I guess they're all dear or dearest. I've always found those particular ones a bit annoying. I'd rather just type it out. And I never really understood "PAX," meaning passengers. Not sure how it evolved into an "X."

The abbreviations for significant others & children (DH, DW, DS, DD) aren't necessarily cruise lingo. They've been around for many years and pretty much got their start in internet chat rooms, message boards, & forums. At one point I can remember the DS & DD, referring to one's children, stood for dependent son & daughter. Now I guess they're all dear or dearest. I've always found those particular ones a bit annoying. I'd rather just type it out. And I never really understood "PAX," meaning passengers. Not sure how it evolved into an "X."

I have a feeling "pax" is technical/industry jargon rather than Internet lingo. Just some way of shortening it.

Spinoff, but from context I always thought "SMH" meant "so much hate", but apparently it means "shaking my head".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After reading awhile you will sort of figure them out. My favorites are when they start asking for help from a particular airport to another airport using the airport codes! Do they really think we have all those codes in our little brains? I know the few I travel, but if I ask a question about those, I will type out the city names! LOL

Example: I'm traveling from ABC to DEF, but would rather do through GHI, or JKL. Oh by the way, how much time should we allow at check-in, etc!

Next, is the fun of trying to remember, 6 months after booking, what Norwegian(NCL) gave you, when in a conversation here on CC about "Amenity Codes".:)

For example:

Amenity code:

44UDPT

Belongs to Group (For BGE Payment table): Dining Packages

We figured this one out, but

Is there a list of codes available ?

Edited by $hip$hape

When my wife uses DH, it's usually "Damn" Husband :')

I have a feeling "pax" is technical/industry jargon rather than Internet lingo. Just some way of shortening it.

Spinoff, but from context I always thought "SMH" meant "so much hate", but apparently it means "shaking my head".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, there was once a time when it meant "so much hate." When texting became the preferred method of communication for many people, some of the abbreviations began to change.

When my wife uses DH, it's usually "Damn" Husband :')

And that's when mine is being nice. :o

PAX was first used back in the glory days of railroading as shorthand for passengers. It's also used in church as in pax vobiscum (latin for Shalom).

(DH,DW,DD,DS... Whatever) typical it means 'Dear (Dearest) Wife/Husband/Son', whatever. It's probably the most useless shorthand. Just say 'my husband' or 'my wife'.

Preach!

MDR = Main Dining Room

PBE = Piano Bar Entertainer

B2B = Back to back cruises

And some non-shorthand lingo...

Lido = Deck with the Main Pool and the Buffet, so "lido" may mean the deck, the pool, or the buffet depending on context

Port = Left (when facing forward)

Starboard = Right (when facing forward)

Aft = Back of the ship

Tender = Smaller boat that takes you to shore when the big ship can't

Safety Drill = A government-mandated trip through the 7 layers of boredom hell with no reprieve or escape

Here's a confusing one. Celebrity Cruises is often referred to as X. I know it's because off their ship design but it would be hard for someone new to figure out. Example: I would rather sail on X (Celebrity) instead of DCL (Disney).

Here's a confusing one. Celebrity Cruises is often referred to as X. I know it's because off their ship design but it would be hard for someone new to figure out. Example: I would rather sail on X (Celebrity) instead of DCL (Disney).

When Chandris owned and operated Celebrity their logo was a CHI (greek letter X). The X was (and still is) prominently displayed on the funnels of all their ships.

220px-Greek_uc_chi.svg.pnghttp:220px-Greek_uc_chi.svg.pngCelebrity_cruises.png

The Reflection (see funnel) 300px-Celebrity_Reflection_cruise_ship_in_Santorini%2C_Greece_001.jpg