What is the advantage of a PCC over TA?

Setting Sail Gal

Seasoned HAL cruisers please give me your thoughts and experiences. Returned from first HAL cruise earlier this month and I am getting multiple e-mails to connect with a PCC. I only get vacation once a year so I plan early and hope to find deals. Which is the best way to go? Looking at Jan. - Mar 2018 right now. Thanks everyone. Karen

I had a PCC for about two days since I had done a pre-booking onboard and he contacted me when I got home. I quickly decided just to let the TA do the booking since I was going to use her anyway. For me, a TA is the only way to go. I am a rotten negotiator so if there is a problem I want a TA who knows who to speak to and get the job done. I also feel that the TA has a more vested interest in making me happy. Then, of course, there is the fact that I have always gotten some extra perks from the TA that I would not get from the cruise line PCC. So, for me, there is no advantage of having a PCC rather than a TA.

Edited by Scrapnana

IMO - there is NO advantage for a PCC over a TA.

I get better pricing and more perks, like OBC, from my TA, he can negotiate most anything, and can help with anything I need. Example: booked last minute and my TA knows I greatly prefer early, assigned seating, which originally HAL says 'no way' and poof, the next day I have early assigned seating. He has met or exceeded any price I can find which is usually much less than anything HAL has to offer and I get the HAL perks plus so many more! BTW - have been so pleased with my TA that we have been together for over 20 years.

Sometimes a good PCC can do some things. For example, the HAL website doesn't always show all the cabins that are available. Sometimes a good PCC can get you a cabin that wouldn't otherwise be available. A good PCC allows you to deal with the same person on all occasions. A big box ta won't provide this service. Mostly minor things.

The bottom line is this. Unless you know a great TA who provides significant discounts (~10%) or OBC (~10%) there really isn't a big difference between using a TA and a PCC. It's just a matter of personal preference.

There is nothing that prohibits using a PCC for the initial booking and then transferring to a TA. We make sure our PCC understands we will transfer to take advantage of the 10% discount we get from our TA.

Its a trade off IMO and really depends on your situation and needs.

For me, I like my PCC since I tend to play the "upsell" game to get a better cabin. When you book through a PCC, HAL will send the emails offering upsells directly to you and you respond directly with the HAL department handling them - no TA in the middle to slow down the process (the good upsells go quickly as its first come first served basis).

Further, my PCC does not mind calling the upsell department directly to find out the status of upsell offers (when and if they will be offered). I doubt a TA can or will do this for you.

As to price, some TAs can get you a better price (including perks) than a HAL PCC, but you REALLY need to compare apples to apples when pricing out a cruise (you need to consider all the extras each source is providing).

Its a trade off IMO and really depends on your situation and needs.

For me, I like my PCC since I tend to play the "upsell" game to get a better cabin. When you book through a PCC, HAL will send the emails offering upsells directly to you and you respond directly with the HAL department handling them - no TA in the middle to slow down the process (the good upsells go quickly as its first come first served basis).

Further, my PCC does not mind calling the upsell department directly to find out the status of upsell offers (when and if they will be offered). I doubt a TA can or will do this for you.

As to price, some TAs can get you a better price (including perks) than a HAL PCC, but you REALLY need to compare apples to apples when pricing out a cruise (you need to consider all the extras each source is providing).

Yes, a good TA can do that - mine definitely has connections and/or makes the calls. I've had an upsell/upgrade or combinations for every one of my cruises, through the TA. It's not really a trade-off at all. It probably wouldn't work as well with a big box TA, but it definitely does with the TA's I have used (two). The trade off I get is very nice perks from the TA that the PCC cannot offer.

Having said that, if you feel comfortable sticking with a PCC, there's nothing wrong with doing that.

My experience has been the opposite. My PCC was much more helpful with securing details (and good pricing) for our trip as compared to an independent travel agent that we previously used, though to be fair my TA was a single independent person. Perhaps a large travel agency might be able to do more.

It should be made clear to all readers that the HAL Personal Cruise Consultant is different than calling HAL operators directly to book, and once one calls the HAL operator one usually cannot switch over to the PCC service.

igraf

IMO - there is NO advantage for a PCC over a TA.

I get better pricing and more perks, like OBC, from my TA, he can negotiate most anything, and can help with anything I need. Example: booked last minute and my TA knows I greatly prefer early, assigned seating, which originally HAL says 'no way' and poof, the next day I have early assigned seating. He has met or exceeded any price I can find which is usually much less than anything HAL has to offer and I get the HAL perks plus so many more! BTW - have been so pleased with my TA that we have been together for over 20 years.

Yes, a good TA can do that - mine definitely has connections and/or makes the calls. I've had an upsell/upgrade or combinations for every one of my cruises, through the TA. It's not really a trade-off at all. It probably wouldn't work as well with a big box TA, but it definitely does with the TA's I have used (two). The trade off I get is very nice perks from the TA that the PCC cannot offer.

Having said that, if you feel comfortable sticking with a PCC, there's nothing wrong with doing that.

I have not been successful in finding a local TA that can do this, but I am sure they do exist in some areas. My PCC beats the local TAs here by a mile! Also, I doubt that a big box TA will work with you on upsells as well as a good local TA or PCC (as you mentioned).

We don't use a PCC, we use a big box TA. Pricing is most important to us, we book the cabins we want so don't really care about upgrades/upsells. The big box TA's can get you 7-8% in OBC's, never heard of a PCC doing that.

We don't use a PCC, we use a big box TA. Pricing is most important to us, we book the cabins we want so don't really care about upgrades/upsells. The big box TA's can get you 7-8% in OBC's, never heard of a PCC doing that.

I also book a cabin I am happy with, but I am always open to an upsell (for the right price and location).

While we do not get as much extra OBC as you mention, our PCC has in the past gotten us in on promotions that took a bit of work getting for us (that I doubt a TA could have done) plus one time when we had an issue with our cruise he got us a great compensation package for our next cruise.

Considering everything, my feeling is that the big box TAs can get you a better deal (in OBC). If however, upsells are something you are after, a PCC can do a better job.

A good TA can do anything a PCC can do, plus they can either get you a lower price or OBC.

The trick is finding a good TA. Rarely, can you get a great price from a local TA. There is no need to have a local TA, they can be anywhere in the country. You may have to search on the internet to find a good one that specializes in cruises. Word of mouth recommendations work best, but we can not mention any names of TAs here on CC.

We have used both methods and we prefer using a TA.

A TA can help with additional non-HAL items, if that is required, will monitor the HAL sales and can often be someone who has traveled in areas you are interested in seeing -- offering personal insights. Our TA enjoys cruising.

The TA we work with is also great at getting visas, booking transfers and non HAL tours and hotels, and can immediately book an upgrade, if that is what we want. (We just give the pricing parameters and we are all set.)

As someone else mentioned, you don't have to use a local TA. Mine is located two states away. Email and phone calls work just as well as a personal visit for me.

I agree finding a good TA is not always easy. If you are going to work with one, and you don't know one, HAL offers a travel agency search function on their website.

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/travel-agent/index.html?app=HAL&countryCode=US

Or better yet, ask friends, family or fellow cruisers next time you are onboard.

Once you find someone, make an appointment (either in person or on the phone) and ask questions.

Here are some of the questions we have asked:

What Experience Do You Have Planning Trips?

Asking your TA what type experience they have can help you get an idea if they can work well with how you like to travel.

What Do You Charge?

Some TAs charge you, some charge the vendor.

How Can I Get Best Reach You?

Do you have a 1 800 number? An international number? How quickly do you respond to email requests? How do you handle travel emergencies? Do you have an after hours number?

What Types of Documents Do I Need for My Trip?

Your TA should be able to advise you on what visas are needed and the identification you will need to carry while traveling. In my case, my TA actually helps secure the travel visas we need. Mine also provided advice on shots, although we did go to a travel medicine Doctor for detailed information and of course...the shots :)

What Is Your Refund and Travel Change Policy?

Things happen. Does the TA charge for itinerary changes?

Can You Do Anything Special for Me?

Don't be afraid to ask. The TA might be able to give you onboard spending credit, a bottle of champagne on arrival, or a dinner at one of the speciality restaurants.

It should be made clear to all readers that the HAL Personal Cruise Consultant is different than calling HAL operators directly to book, and once one calls the HAL operator one usually cannot switch over to the PCC service.

igraf

This is a good point. If you want your PCC to get full credit for a booking don't do it through online or use the 'regular' 800 number, do it through the PCC number. They are two different systems and bookings are not normally transferred. You can do it by cancelling an online booking and then calling your PCC.

Dennis

Thank you everyone for your input. I travel solo therefore, price and cabin selection are most important to me. I would like some clarification on big box TA's. I know we are not allowed to recommend specifics, but i need help even knowing what big box TA groups are out there. Can some of you assist me with that info?

I have not been successful in finding a local TA that can do this, but I am sure they do exist in some areas. My PCC beats the local TAs here by a mile! Also, I doubt that a big box TA will work with you on upsells as well as a good local TA or PCC (as you mentioned).

If you use a TA who works for a big company that is part of one of the travel consortiums, you can easily get >10% OBC, freebies like dinner and internet, and a price that is wonderful. Seems like the bigger the company / consortium, the better the deals. Have gotten upsells and upgrades offered and negotiated thru the TA on almost every cruise. We live 1500 miles apart (we were in the same city about 10 years ago) and work mostly via email. Maybe if you googled travel consortiums, you can come up with some ideas that are not big box or small local agencies.

I use both. My PCC is an expert on all things HAL. I book early to get our cabin of choice, then we watch sales and pricing, often re-faring once or twice when it's advantageous, then I transfer the booking to the TA before final payment to pick up another 9% of the fare in refundable OBC. I have yet to find a TA that can "work" HAL's system on our behalf like our PCC does. He has stated he'd be transferring the booking to a TA for the perks if he were in our shoes. Originating the booking helps his bonus and I refer people to him so everyone wins. If you don't have a PCC, we can figure out how to get you his name outside of this forum.

Edited by blizzardboy

I usually book our cruises through United Cruises only for the miles we receive as our bonus. We usually receive enough for our free airfare. There might be a few perks thrown in such as pinnacle grill dinner or a wine package but really the important thing for us is getting our miles...

Thank you everyone for your input. I travel solo therefore, price and cabin selection are most important to me. I would like some clarification on big box TA's. I know we are not allowed to recommend specifics, but i need help even knowing what big box TA groups are out there. Can some of you assist me with that info?

The only big box travel agencies I know of are a couple of members only mega department stores.

We book with a TA that gives us a 10-12% cash discount on our cruises. We don't book guarantees and really not into the cabin lotto as we always pick a specific cabin. After 22 years of cruising with HAL and a couple of other lines there's not much a PCC can tell us or help us with. Our TA has always monitored and passed on any added incentives, fare reductions, etc., but we watch that too and work with our TA when we see something.

Generally speaking, when I speak of a big box TA, I'm referring to members only warehouse club store. There are only about three of these. (google) There is one of these that offers 8.75 % OBC. FWIW, you don't have to have a local store to use there services but you do have to join.

I am not referring to any of those Travel Agents that advertise travel services on TV. For example the one with a Gnome or a guy who used to command a star ship.

Personally, I use a small Travel Agent who only has two or three employees. She is affiliated with a major credit card company. She offers 10% discounts on Holland and Princess. She can't discount the others. If I intend to sail on a different cruise line, I will use the big box.

I found my TA through a personal recommendation outside of Cruise Critic.

Personally, I use a small Travel Agent who only has two or three employees. She is affiliated with a major credit card company. She offers 10% discounts on Holland and Princess. She can't discount the others. If I intend to sail on a different cruise line, I will use the big box.

Rocketman, we have compared our agents in another thread, and now I believe we may either have the same agent or at least the same network.

Her initials are F.D. And her network is affiliated with a major credit card company that is also famous for travelers checks.

Rocketman, we have compared our agents in another thread, and now I believe we may either have the same agent or at least the same network.

Her initials are F.D. And her network is affiliated with a major credit card company that is also famous for travelers checks.

I'm sure that's the same network, but a different TA.

Ever watch the movie "Casablanca"?

Apart from good service, OBC`s anywhere from 8-12 percent of the fare net of taxes on most fares, the odd free excursion, an upgrade once in a while if she adds us to one of her group bookings, there are other good reasons why we deal with an independent TA instead of a cruise company rep.

Our TA lets us know about great offers on other cruise lines and other ships.

She gives us customer feedback on certain ships that we are considering. That feedback is not colored by the fact that she is a cruise line employee.

Finally, in the unlikely event that we have an issue, our TA is completely independent from the cruise line. Her pay stub has the name of the agency on it, not the cruise line. BIG difference.

Edited by iancal

I'm sure that's the same network, but a different TA.

Ever watch the movie "Casablanca"?

You've got me there, Rocket. You're a little too clever for me to interpret that. I tried different things in my head, such as Rick's, As Time Goes By, We will always have Paris, Beginning of a great friendship, and the Usual Suspects, but none worked.

Perhaps all of the agents from that network have good deals.

You've got me there, Rocket. You're a little too clever for me to interpret that. I tried different things in my head, such as Rick's, As Time Goes By, We will always have Paris, Beginning of a great friendship, and the Usual Suspects, but none worked.

Perhaps all of the agents from that network have good deals.

you could email me.