What is your favorite non-Carribean itinerary ?

Jacqueline

That's a hard question to answer, only because I was in the International Airline business & have been to many memorable places including Australia & Africa.. I loved them both when I was in the business..

My favorite cruise itinerary was probably the one we did on the Prinsendam to South America/Antarctica in 2013..It included the Amazon which we have cruised to several times & is probably my next favorite itinerary.. I've also enjoyed several trans-Atlantic cruises as well as a wonderful Alaska itinerary/cruise..

We are so blessed to have been able to visit so many lovely places, met interesting people & are really enjoying our cruises in our senior years..:cool:

P.S. Also loved Hawaii.. Unfortunately DH was not with me on my many years of travel..

DH would say the Panama Canal full transit because he likes the rhythm of a day in port, a day at sea.

For me, that's too hard to answer ! Love 'em all... TAs with lots of sea days, especially after an intense time of touring in Europe... South Pacific and the never ending beautiful islands and waters... Glaciers of South America, Alaska, Norway, New Zealand... history of the Med... Fun in the Sun in the Caribbean... yeah, gotta say it's whatever one I'm on!

I love cruising in the Mediterranean -- Eastern, Western, Southern, you name it. I've been on 9 Med cruises in the last 11 years and have visited more than 50 different ports, some of which are sadly no longer on itineraries a decade later. Truly an embarrassment of riches if you love history.

And I am going back again next month. :cool:

so many HAL cruisers have so much time at sea, and I would be interested in hearing your opinions.

We love HAL's Canada NE c ruises from B oston and did it over and over, back- to back, summer after summer :)

Glad you excluded the caribbean. Living in Florida the similar climate does not call me.

Mediterranean, as long as a transatlantic is attached. Many port intensive days require the 6 days or so crossing the Atlantic to recover. Those ocean breezes and a good book, along with HAL's ample wine cellar, does just that.

Alaska would be my second choice. Wow, the constant scenery can't help but awe.

Edited by mysticsailor
typo

Pretty much anything that isn't Caribbean or hot weather cruising.

Especially I am fond of Norway, having gone there more times than I can count, with another one booked. As beautiful as Alaska, but easier to get to from the east coast.

Harder to get to, but the best all around, is the Buenos Aires/Valparaiso run that includes Antarctica. But if you are going to go all that way, you must include Antarctica. There is no other place like it on earth.

Two other great itineraries are the Viking Passage or the Voyage of the Vikings, either one---depending on how much time (and $$$) you have to spend.

Then, there's itineraries that include China, South Korea, and Japan. Throw in a trans-Pacific---even better!

Oh, and the 14-day Alaska route, since it not only allows more time, it takes you a little off the beaten path with Homer & Kodiak Island. Very special.

Canada/New England. We love the ports and most are easy to do on your own. Just walking around is a great option for many. In Bar Harbor we love going out to Acadia and hiking.

Tried to convince our Friends to book this cruise with us this year, but they want a Caribbean cruise instead.. Since it's their choice, we're looking only at Caribbean cruises in Oct. or Nov...:loudcry: :(

If the Caribbean means a short winter vacation with sun and sand, then the other short sun route mid winter that we like is the one week Mexican Riviera, out of San Diego. Alaska is another great way to spend a week, but count on cold, not warm cruising in the summer.

But beyond that there is not a single route we would not to over again- all of their longer packages are wonderful, and their specialty theme cruises are in depth and top notch. Best of all are the long sweeps around South America, up and down Asia, and the grand London to Suez to Indonesia to Singapore. Tran-satlantics are great.

Still on our list of longer cruises to still do, besides the Voyage of the Vikings coming up next, is the Trans-Pacific to Japan, South America with Antarctica, a Trans-Atlantic with Gibraltar, something in Africa if they offer it and Bermuda.

My favorite trip was Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. The Zaandam was lovely! We did not include the Antartica portion (still working fools without the time). In a way it was a good thing.. we need to "do over" to see Antartica in retirement. Would love to re-see the South American ports again. Very fun to watch the toilet flush counter clockwise!! LOL!!! There is so much to see and do; spectacular scenery in port and sailing. Worth the long haul to get there. Chilean Fjords is like Alaska.. on steroids. unbelievable!!

We have done 3 South America cruises in the last year and 1/2. Two were a month long from San Diego and the other around the Horn. There is nothing like Machu Picchu, the Andes and Patagonia. Also loved the penguins and crusing up the fjords. Next cruise to Mexico will make us 4 stars and then off to Asia in March on the Volendam. We are still in our 60's and pretty active. Do it while you can!