What should we buy while we are in Hawaii...?

resstation

Since you apparently live in Florida, I would recommend that you buy some topical plants (cuttings, etc.). We have bought home both Plumeria cuttings and ginger roots. Both have always grown easily here in Houston and require very little maintenance (the Plumerias can not freeze though, no such problem with gingers). Another plus is that they are cheap and small (to carry home).

Macadamia nuts / kona coffee

WHOA !!! On our Hawaii cruise in spring 2015, one of the "must" things to get was 100% Kona coffee. It was outrageously expensive ! So overpriced that it didn't take me long to figure out that it was nothing more than a gigantic tourist rip-off. :mad:

...VTX-Al

Since you apparently live in Florida, I would recommend that you buy some topical plants (cuttings, etc.). We have bought home both Plumeria cuttings and ginger roots. Both have always grown easily here in Houston and require very little maintenance (the Plumerias can not freeze though, no such problem with gingers). Another plus is that they are cheap and small (to carry home).

- Just make sure the cuttings will be able to pass the Agriculture inspection and are allowed to be exported to the mainland.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

WHOA !!! On our Hawaii cruise in spring 2015, one of the "must" things to get was 100% Kona coffee. It was outrageously expensive ! So overpriced that it didn't take me long to figure out that it was nothing more than a gigantic tourist rip-off. :mad:

...VTX-Al

Taste is very subjective but 100% Kona coffee is our preferred coffee even to a local & is not a gigantic tourist rip-off to everyone. I understand that's how you feel but disagree with that statement telling everyone that it's a gigantic tourist rip-off.

It's certainly not cheap but it's a splurge we enjoy for our daily cup of coffee.

- Just make sure the cuttings will be able to pass the Agriculture inspection and are allowed to be exported to the mainland.

That's essential to do & whenever we travel between Maui & the Mainland we bring plumeria cuttings from our yard & cuttings our neighbors offer to us. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We go to Costco. Last time in Maui they had a Poke station, coffee, lots of different kinds of macadamia nut and chocolates including Hershey Macadamia nut kisses.

Supermarkets are a fun place to find souvenirs.

Coffee is cheaper outside of the tourist places.

The orchid farm is interesting.

Edited by SadieN

Taste is very subjective but 100% Kona coffee is our preferred coffee even to a local & is not a gigantic tourist rip-off to everyone. I understand that's how you feel but disagree with that statement telling everyone that it's a gigantic tourist rip-off.

It's certainly not cheap but it's a splurge we enjoy for our daily cup of coffee.

That's essential to do & whenever we travel between Maui & the Mainland we bring plumeria cuttings from our yard & cuttings our neighbors offer to us. :)

Admittedly, my only first-hand knowledge of this was the pricing that I saw at a "tourist oriented" store while on an organized excursion. I picked up an 8 oz bag of 100% Kona coffee priced at over $35.00 - that's 70 bucks (USD) a pound !!! Blends down to 10% Kona were cheaper, for sure. So now I am curious - for local folks in the know, what is a "normal" price for a pound of 100% Kona coffee ?

...VTX-Al

If you want something unique from Hawaii think about wooden bowls, trays etc made from KOA or Monkey Pod. There are also bowls and other items made from lava rock. Downside is that these items are expensive, but beautiful.

Our last time in Hawaii which was my 9th. I think I have every souvinier known to man.

However you can do some unique shopping at one store:

Namely:

A B C

It stands for

Any

Block and

Corner

They are everywhere.

Got calenders for a buck, and cutsy stuff cheap.

Macadamia nuts and coffee.

Enjoy

We did.

Nothing is cheap in Hawaii, but it is the novelty of bringing back something from a special vacation. Be sure to check or the " made in China" tags.

I did not think a picture calendar of Hawaii for $1.00 was over priced.

Packed easily, and you never know when you can use a calendar.

Friends loved them.

Enjoy we do.

Except for the recommendation of carved Koa items, most of the above recommendations are worthless. You can buy Kona coffee or Macadamia nuts at Safeways on the mainland for the same price.

If you really want something memorable, look for a true Nihau shell necklace from a reputable source (e.g., the Kauai County Museum store). Of course, we're talking thousands of dollars but that's a deal relative to buying it elsewhere in the world (note however that knockoffs are widely available - be careful!).

If that's more than you want to spend, how about a Reyn Spooner limited edition Aloha shirt at less than $125 (several of their stores carry them). Far nicer and more interesting than Hilo Hattie junk.

Still too steep for you? Head over to the Spouting Horn crafts vendors on Kauai- some decent woven items in amidst the "made anywhere but Hawaii" trinkets.

Another possibility is to not buy anything and spend your dollars on a once in a lifetime NaPali Coast helicopter ride. Even if you don't take pix, the images will be clear in your memory for ever.

Last suggestions: (like the others, also on Kauai) check out the fabric quilt store in Lihue (can't remember the name) as well as Flowers Forever in Lihue (the most varied, beautiful and reasonably priced leis to be found anywhere (they also ship inspected/approved leis and other tropical arrangements overnight to the mainland (and far cheaper than buying them at home - even if you could find them).

Admittedly, my only first-hand knowledge of this was the pricing that I saw at a "tourist oriented" store while on an organized excursion. I picked up an 8 oz bag of 100% Kona coffee priced at over $35.00 - that's 70 bucks (USD) a pound !!! Blends down to 10% Kona were cheaper, for sure. So now I am curious - for local folks in the know, what is a "normal" price for a pound of 100% Kona coffee ?

...VTX-Al

At those prices I'd also call it a gigantic tourist rip-off. :p

Costco has 1 lb bags of whole bean 100% Kona coffee for $19.99 but we don't grind it at the store & instead in our grind & brew coffeemaker at home. When on sale at Long's Drugs (now owned by CVS but kept the name because it's been "local" for decades) or Safeway, 7-8 oz bags are about $10. That's a couple of dollars savings off regular prices with regular prices about the same at Target & Walmart.

All of those places have the 10% Kona blends (they're tasty to me) and 8 oz bags on sale are less than $4 but even cheaper at Costco who has variety packs & larger (24 oz?) bags of the blend.

As I recall reading, on Maui over 80% of households are Costco members & even gasoline is much cheaper (about $0.50 to $0.80 cheaper). Besides great prices on coffee & macs to bring home, their Hawaiian clothing such as Aloha shirts for $19.99 are great deals.

If you're in Maui on a Saturday there is a swap meet near the Maui Arts & Cultural Center about a mile or so from the Kahului cruise ship pier with a good selection & prices including many more locally made items that at stores. I don't go there but my wife always finds things to buy & admission is only $0.50.

At those prices I'd also call it a gigantic tourist rip-off. :p

Costco has 1 lb bags of whole bean 100% Kona coffee for $19.99 but we don't grind it at the store & instead in our grind & brew coffeemaker at home. When on sale at Long's Drugs (now owned by CVS but kept the name because it's been "local" for decades) or Safeway, 7-8 oz bags are about $10. That's a couple of dollars savings off regular prices with regular prices about the same at Target & Walmart.

All of those places have the 10% Kona blends (they're tasty to me) and 8 oz bags on sale are less than $4 but even cheaper at Costco who has variety packs & larger (24 oz?) bags of the blend.

As I recall reading, on Maui over 80% of households are Costco members & even gasoline is much cheaper (about $0.50 to $0.80 cheaper). Besides great prices on coffee & macs to bring home, their Hawaiian clothing such as Aloha shirts for $19.99 are great deals.

If you're in Maui on a Saturday there is a swap meet near the Maui Arts & Cultural Center about a mile or so from the Kahului cruise ship pier with a good selection & prices including many more locally made items that at stores. I don't go there but my wife always finds things to buy & admission is only $0.50.

Well, that's more or less what I was expecting, and probably would have been happy to pay around $30.00/lb at a "touristy" place. We also purchase whole bean and fresh grind our own, and usually at our local Costco - no 100% Kona available there in B.C. unfortunately :( .

...VTX-Al

Costco has 1 lb bags of whole bean 100% Kona coffee for $19.99 but we don't grind it at the store & instead in our grind & brew coffeemaker at home.

Good point about not grinding the beans at the store. When the Food Court was inside Costco Maui and the coffee grinding machine was right next to the seating area, we used to watch people grinding all the kinds of coffee Costco carried, which meant other kinds of coffee were getting put through the same machine and the end result might be a mix of your beans and whatever had previously gotten caught in the machine. Smelled good though.

Well, that's more or less what I was expecting, and probably would have been happy to pay around $30.00/lb at a "touristy" place. We also purchase whole bean and fresh grind our own, and usually at our local Costco - no 100% Kona available there in B.C. unfortunately :( .

...VTX-Al

We go between Maui & the Mainland so we bring enough for us & Ohana to last while we're on the Mainland. ;)

I think prices at most "touristy" stores are high including those owned by the manufacturer. Near Hilo on the Big Island the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut visitor's center has a great variety of items not available at other stores. However the prices are also more expensive even for readily available items at stores.

Good point about not grinding the beans at the store. When the Food Court was inside Costco Maui and the coffee grinding machine was right next to the seating area, we used to watch people grinding all the kinds of coffee Costco carried, which meant other kinds of coffee were getting put through the same machine and the end result might be a mix of your beans and whatever had previously gotten caught in the machine. Smelled good though.

That creates a new blend of unknown types of coffee...Kauai, Maui, Kona & even non-Hawaiian grown coffee beans. ;)

I think tropical print men's baggy swim trunks are really good. I really like them. I don't think they're as common or come in as much variety on the mainland as you see in Hawaii. They're the antithesis of a speedo of course, thank goodness.

Aloha,

I agree with the OP's who recommended koa wood and Ni'ihau shell necklaces. Both are highly valued here in Hawaii (and I am a collector of both). Watch out for fakes/substitutes of both items.

A good place to stop by is the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet (Oahu) on the weekends. Hundreds of vendors and usually cheaper prices than in Waikiki. Taro chips and lilikoi items are very popular food items to try out. As as others have mentioned, Kona coffee. Koloa coffee is also pretty good as well. Have a great time in the islands! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Aloha,

I agree with the OP's who recommended koa wood and Ni'ihau shell necklaces. Both are highly valued here in Hawaii (and I am a collector of both). Watch out for fakes/substitutes of both items.

A good place to stop by is the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet (Oahu) on the weekends. Hundreds of vendors and usually cheaper prices than in Waikiki. Taro chips and lilikoi items are very popular food items to try out. As as others have mentioned, Kona coffee. Koloa coffee is also pretty good as well. Have a great time in the islands! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just did some online checking and I LOVE the koa wood! Definitely will buy a piece or two made from koa. The only issue would be trying to decipher what is fake. Looks like the Australian wood looks almost identical. Do you have any retail stores that you trust for purchases of koa wood (we will only be in Honolulu one day and then at each port stop of the Pride of America). Thanks.

I just did some online checking and I LOVE the koa wood! Definitely will buy a piece or two made from koa. The only issue would be trying to decipher what is fake. Looks like the Australian wood looks almost identical. Do you have any retail stores that you trust for purchases of koa wood (we will only be in Honolulu one day and then at each port stop of the Pride of America). Thanks.

As mentioned, do remember that koa is expensive. Martin and MacArthur has a good reputation in the islands and carries a fair amount of koa merchandise. You might want to check their website to see if they have anything you like.